Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Just applied to the MBA program at UVic last week, GMAT in about 2 weeks :whoop:

I have a question about the Executive MBA: what is it? Can someone please elaborate?

A part-time program for working professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

SiDeath posted:

A part-time program for working professionals.

No additional benefits over a regular MBA or anything?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

No additional benefits over a regular MBA or anything?

Might cost less, but will definitely take two or three times as long. Most of your classes would be at night and on weekends. No tangible post-graduation benefits that I can think of.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Ours costs significantly more than the full-time MBA. Almost always paid for by companies. Fridays, Saturday, Sunday classes.

EMBA's purpose is completely different from that of a full-time program.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I wonder if there's a networking advantage to going for an Executive MBA, seeing as how you'd share classes with people smart enough to figure out how to get Someone Else to pay for school :eng101:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The typical EMBA student is an executive or slightly below, and general over 35. They're at the point in their careers where they're looking to transition to upper management and need the credentials for whatever reason. The curriculum is designed on the assumption that everyone coming in has significant experience and general knowledge, so there's no need to teach business basics in as much detail. Really, the only thing it has in common with a regular MBA is the name of the degree.

DocAres
Feb 2, 2004

Pea Pod
I have an IT degree, but I have transitioned into electrical engineering and now focus on merging the fields within our medium sized corporation.

The company will pay a portion of my tuition for a MBA, but I'm torn between spending the extra money for a degree that is backed by a good name, and a local no-name MBA (which would be essentially free).

So far I've looked into:

[Top Tier]
Northwestern
Chicago (Booth)

[Typical No-Name Tier]
Local Purdue
Local IU
Loyola

The top tier and light years beyond the others, but is it worth the monetary investment?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DocAres posted:

I have an IT degree, but I have transitioned into electrical engineering and now focus on merging the fields within our medium sized corporation.

The company will pay a portion of my tuition for a MBA, but I'm torn between spending the extra money for a degree that is backed by a good name, and a local no-name MBA (which would be essentially free).

So far I've looked into:

[Top Tier]
Northwestern
Chicago (Booth)

[Typical No-Name Tier]
Local Purdue
Local IU
Loyola

The top tier and light years beyond the others, but is it worth the monetary investment?

That depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to stay at your current company or move around in similar roles, the local schools are fine. Going to Chicago or Northwestern will give you more options.

Edit: You may want to look around for management degrees that are more targeted at technology management. Check out the search here and see if you find anything interesting. Don't rule out the online schools, either--they're not competitive with an MBA from Chicago, but they might be perfectly good alternatives to the local MBAs.

Double Secret Edit: Check out Northwestern's Master of Engineering Management Program.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 17, 2009

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

DocAres posted:

[Typical No-Name Tier]
Local Purdue
Local IU
Loyola

Purdue and IU are hardly "no-name" programs.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Does anyone know much about the University of South Carolina's IMBA program? Their IMBA program is supposedly ranked one or two but overall their program isn't ranked very highly (like not even top 30) - this is a little concerning.

Anyways, the international aspect program looks really interesting. I really like how you can pretty much spend 1.5 of the 2 years abroad, get a good 3 solid months (or more) of intensive language study and get set up with an international internship.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wow, I didn't even know this thread existed! I'm an accepted student who will be starting his MBA in the fall (I move down in two weeks). I had been blogging about my application experiences, dating back to early 2008 (http://omnemba.blogspot.com). I thought it'd be good to give a quick recap of everything that's gone on.

Background
I am currently 27 and recently quit my job as a direct marketing business analyst for a bank that was eaten by another bank. I started thinking about a need to move into something more satisfying in 2007 and quickly honed in on an MBA. It would give me the tools I need to move towards a new direction...networks, new skills, different experiences. I attended a top undergraduate business school in the south and moved back to Cleveland afterwards, and not a day went by that I didn't regret it. By the end of 2007, I was convinced an MBA was the right path for me.

Getting Serious
The first thing you need to think about is who are you, what makes you happy, and what do you want to do after school. These may sound like crappy questions, but they're very important. They can help narrow your school search (ie, I want warm weather, a small program, consumer products and marketing focus with international business exposure) and also assist in the familiar "Goals" essay each school requires. My search led me to six schools, though I only applied to five: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke and Wake Forest (I didn't apply to USC...after a campus visit, I decided I didn't want to worry about being stabbed every night).

GMAT
Unless you're going to some unaccredited school or some EMBA, the GMAT is required. I felt it best to knock this thing out before applications were released and I could focus 100% on it. I started studying off and on in February 2008, though I didn't get serious until later. I went with a mid-July test date, so that I could retake it in September if I needed. I used the Manhattan series of books and their tests (six online), plus the MBA.com tests. I'd use the Kaplan or Princeton Review books just as a quick primer and question bank. The tests that come with those two books are notoriously bad examples of actual performance. Go in to the test day relaxed and ready to go, and pray you only need to do it once. I got a 680, which was in the acceptable range for my schools.

Applications
School selection is important here, as you don't want to write 10 applications. I found five to be good, I know of students who applied to one school and others who did 12. They're both nuts. I was a bit crazy with it, working on one application at a time. Also pay attention to the deadlines. Earlier rounds are almost always better, though don't submit a half-assed application and donate $200 to a school. There's lots of advice on the net and in books. Read Richard Montauk's book, it's the best.

School Visits, Miscellaneous Stuff
I visited every school I applied to. I wasn't going to waste money applying to a school, then showing up for an interview and hating the location. Spend the time and go. Luckily, all of my schools required interviews, and four of them allowed me to request it. I liked this as I was guaranteed an opportunity to personally present my case. Ask good questions, get a feel for the place, look at the surrounding areas. Once your apps are in, RELAX! You've done all you can, just wait for a response. Don't take the Business Week forums too seriously.

Offers!
My final tally went like this: rejected without interview from UCLA (my first application....your first is ALWAYS your worst, so don't apply to your number one choice right off the bat), rejected after applicant-initiated interview from Duke, waitlisted three times before I asked to be withdrawn from Georgetown, still waitlisted at UNC, accepted with full tuition scholarship plus stipend at Wake Forest. I've accepted that offer and will be matriculating, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, it's not a top 10, but it's an up-and-coming, the undergrad program is one of the top in the nation, and I have the opportunity to do something special there.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'd be happy to answer them

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Omne posted:

If you have any questions, let me know and I'd be happy to answer them

What type of job/field are you hoping to get into after you graduate?

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod
Just a question out of curiosity. I've been reading the law school mega-thread in ask/tell and have been doing some research on salaries these kids are receiving; additionally, I've been doing some research on salaries kids are receiving with an MBA.

What I've noticed: for law school, there's no in between. Either you're earning $160,000 or you're earning $40,000, there's no such thing as a regular old salary (or so it seems).

for an MBA, on the other hand, it seems that the top 10 schools will get you a salary + bonus in the 140-150K range, top 20 in the 125-140 range, top 30 in the 110-125 range, and so on and so forth down.

Any recent graduates care to weigh in on these findings? I find that very interesting, that MBA seems to be much more scaled, not hit and miss like law school.

I'm asking for my nephew; he recently got a 750 on the GMAT, though he's also planning on taking the LSAT. I told him I thought he should go for the MBA, we'll see what happens.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ganon posted:

What type of job/field are you hoping to get into after you graduate?

Ideally, a marketing or strategy role in a CPG or media company. I'm also looking at management rotation programs and consulting firms.

DocAres
Feb 2, 2004

Pea Pod

ultrafilter posted:

Double Secret Edit: Check out Northwestern's Master of Engineering Management Program.

Thank you very much! That engineering management program looks perfect. It should open up quite a few doors for me.

With an MBA I would be stuck with project management alone, but with this I could take on multiple roles.

quote:

Purdue and IU are hardly "no-name" programs.

I went to Purdue and I enjoyed my time there, but after taking a few random courses at Stanford, I'm beginning to think Purdue students are slightly disillusioned on how good their education actually is. Purdue and IU are decent, but they don't stand out in a crowd. I'm glad I went to Purdue because it was a cost effective way to begin my journey in the real world.

I've had a taste of something better and my expectations have raised.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I'm thinking of joining the EMBA at INSEAD, anyone got any experiences with this?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

What is the draw of getting a Masters in Engineering Management rather than an MBA? I just found out I have to delay starting my MBA until next year (temporarily relocated for work and careerwise the exposure I'm getting is worth putting off the MBA temporarily) so I could look into switching into a different school and going for the Engineering Management degree instead. I already have a Masters in Systems Engineering (finished this semester!), so my instinct is the MBA would be more worthwhile, but does anyone who has done an Engineering Management program have any advice as to which would be a better option?

It really seems like the Engineering Management degree would just be a watered down version of the Systems degree I've already finished with a few management classes thrown in, but I don't want to judge without hearing from someone who has done it.

If it helps, career-wise I'd eventually like to end up as an engineering director/VP. I work for a defense contractor and am only 2 years removed form undergrad, so I have time to plan.

still a child
Dec 21, 2005

banana moon
I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight to my situation. Recently I've been giving a lot of thought to possibly applying for business school. I'm about to be a senior at a liberal arts college, and I realize a lot of MBA students have been out of undergrad for awhile. Until pretty much this summer I was not considering going to grad school at all -- I'm a double major in film & Japanese, and was until recently interested in going into film production, but now I'm becoming more interested in the business side of the industry. I've done a lot of leadership/managerial things in high school and college, and I'm just finishing up an internship at a film festival. I really enjoy the things like event planning, organizing, leadership, etc. and I've realized that's kind of like what business school is about.

Specifically I'm looking at Stern. They seem to be one of the few schools with a specialization in film/entertainment, and I live in NYC anyway and am not looking to leave. I guess I'm conflicted because of several things. I don't know whether it's better to apply this fall or wait a year or two -- I know most people wait because they want some work experience, but I have had various part time jobs since high school and I don't know how much more work experience will help me. I also don't know how much sense it makes to go to business school specifically for film. Stern is expensive and if I end up going I want it to be worth it, but the entertainment industry doesn't seem like a relatively popular career path after getting an MBA. I don't know how much it will help me compared to just finding a job and working my way up. Finally, I'm just unsure in general. Like I said, this whole grad school idea is new to me, and while I am fairly confident about having a good application and doing well, I am a little bit intimidated. Thanks to anyone who can give some advice..

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

still a child posted:

I really enjoy the things like event planning, organizing, leadership, etc. and I've realized that's kind of like what business school is about.

No, that's not what business school is about- at least not a school like Stern. Stern being a finance school, it's not going to help you with your entertainment industry prospects. While you take some courses like leadership, it's heavily quantitative and focused on financial statement analysis, corporate finance, and capital markets. Even their film stuff, if it's anything like Columbia's media program, is going to be media finance which is the accounting used by studios.

I once had lunch with the head of the Japanese bushiness center at Stern when I was applying to schools and asked him about the school. He said the only reason people apply to Stern is to get into Goldman Sachs. This was in spring 2007, before things turned to poo poo. But having known some Stern students, this is completely true; it's a wall street school.

Regardless, at 0-1 years outside of undergrad you have a low probability of getting into Stern no matter no how impressive your application is, unless daddy is a big donor or you're a financial wizard. I know one 22 year old in my MBA class; he graduated Harvard and his father is CEO of a major corporation.

For your application you'll need several years of relevant business experience, a strong math background, high GMAT, good recommendations, and in this economy (with applications up 30-40%), a ton of luck.

Carfax Report fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 28, 2009

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Carfax Report posted:

No, that's not what business school is about- at least not a school like Stern. Stern being a finance school, it's not going to help you with your entertainment industry prospects. While you take some courses like leadership, it's heavily quantitative and focused on financial statement analysis, corporate finance, and capital markets. Even their film stuff, if it's anything like Columbia's media program, is going to be media finance which is the accounting used by studios.

I once had lunch with the head of the Japanese bushiness center at Stern when I was applying to schools and asked him about the school. He said the only reason people apply to Stern is to get into Goldman Sachs. This was in spring 2007, before things turned to poo poo. But having known some Stern students, this is completely true; it's a wall street school.

Regardless, at 0-1 years outside of undergrad you have a low probability of getting into Stern no matter no how impressive your application is, unless daddy is a big donor or you're a financial wizard. I know one 22 year old in my MBA class; he graduated Harvard and his father is CEO of a major corporation.

For your application you'll need several years of relevant business experience, a strong math background, high GMAT, good recommendations, and in this economy (with applications up 30-40%), a ton of luck.

Well, to be fair, Stern does have an entertainment/media focus. It, along with UCLA and USC seem to be one of the few with legit offerings. One of the courses at Stern that always interested me was the business side of the Cannes Film Festival, which culminates in a trip to the actual event. Yes, it is a quant school, but don't discount the entertainment/media options Stern provides.

I completely agree about work experience, though. Don't apply unless you have something to contribute. Right now, fresh out of undergrad with some internships and part-time gigs, that's not enough. Most schools only accept full-time work as work experience.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Omne posted:

Well, to be fair, Stern does have an entertainment/media focus. It, along with UCLA and USC seem to be one of the few with legit offerings. One of the courses at Stern that always interested me was the business side of the Cannes Film Festival, which culminates in a trip to the actual event. Yes, it is a quant school, but don't discount the entertainment/media options Stern provides.

My dealings with Stern have shown it to be finance, with other programs being underwhelming. Some of my friends are in our media program and dissapointed so I'm curious: Are you in one of these programs at another school? Did it meet your expectations?

Edit- oh you haven't started yet. I've learned, sadly, there's a difference from what the school says a program will do, and what it actually is.

For example, Stern is one of two schools with Japanese business centers and if you go by materials it seems cool but the head of it admitted the center doesn't play any useful role outside academia. (My background is Japanese biz dev so I thought they'd be able to give me some useful hookups. The other school with a center is Columbia. Its center doesn't do poo poo. I'm pretty dissapointed.)

Edit 2- I was curious so I checked the Stern Entertainment/media course list. It's similar to ours; all media finance. "Accounting and valuation," "Corporate strategy and finance in entertainment," even the "Business of music and film" class says that "it emphasizes the characteristics of deals, cash flows, and project valuation." It's quant for media companies' corp fin departments.
I don't get the sense this is what he's looking for.

I came from a liberal arts background and when researching schools years ago I was taken aback at the extent to which quantitative valuation methods have become the bedrock of all MBA coursework at finance schools. I wanted to learn finance so I'm okay with this but I know where still a child is coming from in terms of thinking the MBA program would help me learn "business" in the general management sense. While that happens with some schools it's not the case for the NY ones. They're finance in every class. Even our leadership class used a combo of psych and quantitative analysis, it was hilarious.

Carfax Report fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 28, 2009

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Oh, I'm sorry if what I wrote was confusing; I'm not matriculating at Stern. I just came across it in the course of my school research and that class has always stood out to me.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
I have a few questions / comments.

There seems to be an incredible amount of focus on the top programs. I understand Harvard and all those are drat good schools with great MBA programs. But how much does where you go affect your resume and job prospects (within reason). I mean if you go to school at Iowa, Wake Forest, BYU etc. are you that much less likely to get certain jobs then if you went to Northwestern? What about schools that aren't even ranked in the top 100? Like University of Kansas or something?

Everyone also keeps mentioning having a good "story". What does that mean? Make sure you have a good story. I worked my way through school to pay for everything, graduated with a good science degree and a solid GPA. I got a really good job after I graduated and will work 2-3 years minimum before applying to an MBA program. However that is an apparently boring story.

How does one get one of these good stories? And why would that make a difference in the eyes of the school when determining to accept you or not? What bearing does that have on what kind of a candidate you are?

Sorry if these seem silly. I am just trying to understand the MBA culture a little better.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Stryguy posted:

I have a few questions / comments.

There seems to be an incredible amount of focus on the top programs. I understand Harvard and all those are drat good schools with great MBA programs. But how much does where you go affect your resume and job prospects (within reason). I mean if you go to school at Iowa, Wake Forest, BYU etc. are you that much less likely to get certain jobs then if you went to Northwestern? What about schools that aren't even ranked in the top 100? Like University of Kansas or something?

I don't know how the difference effects you between schools outside of the top ten, but there's a wide gulf between the top ten and those below it depending on what you're looking for.

Where do you want to work? Do you want to work in investment banking for JP Morgan? You want to be at Wharton, Boothe, or Columbia. I was an officer in my school's banking club and spoke with the head recruiters at every bulge bracket on the street; this year, even with all the poo poo that went down, although the banks reduced overall numbers of interns and full-timers, they kept numbers from top schools high and eliminated intake from the lower tiers.

The experience is different. I was speaking to the CEO of Citigroup's investment bank (John Haven) the day their stock crashed in November. Vikram Pandit, John Thain, Jamie Dimon all came to our school, we got to ask them about the market situation firsthand. Their firms arrived on campus to recruit with dozens of bankers in tow, and gave us special access that other schools didn't have. You get those jobs not because of what you know, but because of who you know.

If you're looking to go into management at a small or medium sized firm, you don't need a top-tier MBA. If you want to work for Mckinsey, be the next CEO of GE, or work in PE/VC, you want to be at a Harvard, Stanford, or Kellogg. Their networks are amazing; and in the end, that's what the top-tier MBA is about.

Describing it doesn't do it justice; once you see the alumni database full of industry leaders and understand that you can reach out to any of these people and get in front of them based solely on the connection you have through your school, you'll understand why it's so powerful.

Keep in mind that none of this guarantees you a job. It just gives you the access; you're expected to take it from there.

quote:

Everyone also keeps mentioning having a good "story". What does that mean? Make sure you have a good story. I worked my way through school to pay for everything, graduated with a good science degree and a solid GPA. I got a really good job after I graduated and will work 2-3 years minimum before applying to an MBA program. However that is an apparently boring story.

How does one get one of these good stories? And why would that make a difference in the eyes of the school when determining to accept you or not? What bearing does that have on what kind of a candidate you are?

At most schools this is fine. At a top school these days, it's not going to cut it. You've got to be interesting. Everyone has good work experience, every got a solid GPA, everyone has a high GMAT. That doesn't get you into school, it just means they'll actually read your application instead of tossing it out.

My classmates include an Olympic silver medalist, the drummer for a famous Israeli band, an NFL linebacker, a NY times #1 best seller, and a Peace Corps member who worked in Ghana in addition to people who spent years doing Private Equity in Spain, banking in Brazil, etc. Some had more mundane jobs, but did interesting stuff in their private lives; one of my teammates worked for five years at Morgan Stanley but he also founded a charity that helps city kids reconnect with nature.

They've got a story to tell about what they did before and where they want to go from here. The schools are looking for something that makes you stand out.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
Are there any schools (particularly higher ranked) that are known for accepting or dealing with candidates that have a science background rather than business?

I am in the food industry (doing R&D right now), so I'd be looking at companies like Kelloggs, Kraft, Cargill etc.

I don't know what schools specialize in what. It's good to know that Booth / Columbia / Wharton are known for investment banking. It lets me know that I should pursue others that might be known for something I am more interested in. I don't plan on working for a bank or anywhere on Wall Street.

My biggest fear is the "story" side of things. I guess I need to figure out some more interesting things to do or something.

Another question; How the hell do you finance these top MBAs? My employer doesn't care about me getting an MBA (remember-- R&D). So I would work here, get some professional experience, then do a full time MBA and pursue a management position somewhere. Are there lots of scholarships, fellowships etc. available? It'd be tough to muster 70+ thousand to pay for a 1-2 year program. And I'd prefer not to plunge myself that far into debt, but I suppose if I have to then I have to.

Thanks for the help, it's very informative.

Possibly impossible to answer -- based on what I have told you, are there a couple schools you might recommend for certain reasons?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Stryguy posted:

Another question; How the hell do you finance these top MBAs? My employer doesn't care about me getting an MBA (remember-- R&D). So I would work here, get some professional experience, then do a full time MBA and pursue a management position somewhere. Are there lots of scholarships, fellowships etc. available? It'd be tough to muster 70+ thousand to pay for a 1-2 year program. And I'd prefer not to plunge myself that far into debt, but I suppose if I have to then I have to.

Thanks for the help, it's very informative.

Possibly impossible to answer -- based on what I have told you, are there a couple schools you might recommend for certain reasons?

I can tell you, based on my personal experience, I am going to attend LSU's Masters in Finance program, beginning in the next three weeks and going through the loan process was pretty easy. The Government guarantee loans are really great and offer phenomenal protection as a debtor, plus you can qualify for a Grad PLUS loan if you have good credit. They're private loans designed to help you out with whatever extra your current loan won't cover.

As far as recommending schools, if you want to be the CEO of Kellogs, you might do well to attend a program that many of their executives went to. You should be able to find bios on their website or in an investor's info packet. If you want to work for Kellogs and move up the ladder, try going to a program near their headquarters or major facilities. It's likely that they've already hired some of those guys and they might be able to get you in the door.

Basically, if you are trying to work for a local or regional company, go to a program near them. They'll be familiar with your school and the kinds of students there. It's basically the same no matter what. Want to work in New York? Go to one of the big boys or a NYC school. The big boys are only different in the sense that they will carry you a little bit farther. The question is whether you want or need that push to get where you want to go.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

SiDeath posted:

I can tell you, based on my personal experience, I am going to attend LSU's Masters in Finance program, beginning in the next three weeks and going through the loan process was pretty easy. The Government guarantee loans are really great and offer phenomenal protection as a debtor, plus you can qualify for a Grad PLUS loan if you have good credit. They're private loans designed to help you out with whatever extra your current loan won't cover.

Yep, I did the same. Very easy.

You'll have a lot of debt coming out of it, but there aren't that many scholarships for MBAs out there.

quote:

As far as recommending schools, if you want to be the CEO of Kellogs, you might do well to attend a program that many of their executives went to. You should be able to find bios on their website or in an investor's info packet. If you want to work for Kellogs and move up the ladder, try going to a program near their headquarters or major facilities. It's likely that they've already hired some of those guys and they might be able to get you in the door.

This is a good tip. If the company is hiring a lot of people from one school, you can bet it's an easier in.

quote:

Basically, if you are trying to work for a local or regional company, go to a program near them. They'll be familiar with your school and the kinds of students there. It's basically the same no matter what. Want to work in New York? Go to one of the big boys or a NYC school. The big boys are only different in the sense that they will carry you a little bit farther. The question is whether you want or need that push to get where you want to go.

This is true as well. In some situations (e.g. not wall street), the big boys will only give you a slight push further, and they cost a lot.

Though I think an additional benefit of the big boys is that they're more general. For example, let's say Kellogs hires a lot of people from regional MBA, but they also hire people from Fuqua. Lots of other companies also hire people from Fuqua, but perhaps not many from regional MBA. There are thus more options out there for Fuqua people.

Stryguy, if you want to go for a top tier, try looking for the school that's ranked highly in the categories you're interested in. E.g. Sloan could be a good fit if you're interested in Operations (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/production-operations).

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Okay, so I got in plus a scholarship and I start earning my MBA... Tuesday.

:frogc00l:

KELLER!
Jun 6, 2001

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Okay, so I got in plus a scholarship and I start earning my MBA... Tuesday.

:frogc00l:

Congratulations! Get ready for a busy couple of years.

Next week is the end of Summer term - I'll have 5 of 16 classes complete. :eng101:

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

KELLER! posted:

Next week is the end of Summer term - I'll have 5 of 16 classes complete. :eng101:

16? I'm jealous. We have to complete 60 credits. :(

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

KELLER! posted:

*gasps for air* HOLY poo poo!

Week 1 complete. It... was different. The school I'm going to has what's called the "Essentials of Business Leadership" (EBL) module where people get to know one another for the entire month. Basically, it's a series of workshops revolving around team-building and networking for the entire month of August.

Kinda wondering when this ends and when the "real" MBA program begins :shobon:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

*gasps for air* HOLY poo poo!

Week 1 complete. It... was different. The school I'm going to has what's called the "Essentials of Business Leadership" (EBL) module where people get to know one another for the entire month. Basically, it's a series of workshops revolving around team-building and networking for the entire month of August.

Kinda wondering when this ends and when the "real" MBA program begins :shobon:

That sounds like a "real" MBA class to me. Do you think you'll never have to do team building exercises and networking at a real job? When you get in to financial statement analysis and data analysis and supply chain analysis courses, you'll wish you were back doing team building exercises.

dvs112
Oct 24, 2008
I got an email from school this week, regarding our orientation next week (they included a link to a business case that they want to discuss at orientation).

What's the best play at orientation? Meet as many people as possible? Is it normal to exchange business cards or get linked in contact info, etc? Should I try to meet faculty?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Somebody mentioned it earlier, but I just want to re-iterate it, what are the biggest differences between Engineering Management and an MBA? Is EM more focused on technical aspects and less on finance, accounting, and business?

Are engineering undergrads and people with experience in engineering that desire to go into higher management positions better off getting an EM degree or an MBA?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Mongolian Squid posted:

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but I just want to re-iterate it, what are the biggest differences between Engineering Management and an MBA? Is EM more focused on technical aspects and less on finance, accounting, and business?

Are engineering undergrads and people with experience in engineering that desire to go into higher management positions better off getting an EM degree or an MBA?

For what it's worth, it sounds like most of the people in this thread are business oriented, so I don't know that we have any EM people in here. Have you tried asking counselors at the schools you're interested in what their different programs offer?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

dvs112 posted:

I got an email from school this week, regarding our orientation next week (they included a link to a business case that they want to discuss at orientation).

What's the best play at orientation? Meet as many people as possible? Is it normal to exchange business cards or get linked in contact info, etc? Should I try to meet faculty?

Ha, I thought getting a pre-orientation assignment was a bit strange, I guess not. I can't say I have any networking goals going in. My 'play' was just going to be to show up, get a parking permit, and have a few conversations. I assume I'll get my classmates contact info during the group projects in our classes we'll inevitably be assigned, and I also already know some of the faculty so... yeah that's where I'm coming from.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

saw this today, a spiel on management consulting http://baselinescenario.com/2009/08/14/management-consulting-for-humanities-ph-d-s/

quote:

...it’s not what you learn at business school that matters, it’s the screening function. Top business schools screen for the attributes that certain types of companies, including consulting firms and investment banks, value – above-average intelligence, ambition, presentability, ability to get along with others, willingness to follow orders, and a strong streak of conformism.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm not going Ivy League/Big name school. Is it even worth it to obtain an MBA from a Non-Ivy/ Chicago/ etc school? I start this semester, so if it's not worth the cash I'd rather know now than at the end of the whole thing. I'm going to be attending Texas A & M.

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

sheri posted:

I'm not going Ivy League/Big name school. Is it even worth it to obtain an MBA from a Non-Ivy/ Chicago/ etc school? I start this semester, so if it's not worth the cash I'd rather know now than at the end of the whole thing. I'm going to be attending Texas A & M.

It really depends on what you're looking for the degree to do for you. If you're looking to make it to wall street from A&M it's going to be an uphill struggle. If you're looking to stay in the Texas area or get into some area of Oil/Petro-chemicals - they sure, the A&M MBA is probably going to get you some great contacts. Like has been said several times in the thread, a lot of it has to do with the connections you make while in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

sheri posted:

Yes. One often forgets the tiny #s of people who actually get into the top schools and the even smaller number of people who work on Wall Street.