Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Le réalité et toi, vous ne vous entendez pas, n'est-ce pas?

propecia posted:

These past few weeks have been pretty rough for first year intern recruiting. I go to a Top 20, and while brand management jobs seem to be okay (CPGs seem to be better off right now), corporate finance positions have been extremely scarce.

I can only imagine. MBA internships are hard enough to find in good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Arzakon posted:

Will an MS-MIT be as well/better regarded as a standard MBA inside the IT world? Outside?
Is GSU's business school as good as its reputation around Atlanta is whether I get this or an MBA later? I see the words "Top Ten" thrown around a lot on their website.
Is it typically easier to get into a business school at your Alma Mater?

1. Don't know this for sure but usually IT doesn't care too much about an MBA. Architecture perhaps...

2. Atlanta area MBA overall quality / rep is as follows: Emory, Georgia Tech, U of Georgia, Georgia State. It really isn't that good and isn't "top 10" anything.
*however this does not make it a horrible option - depends on your goals*

3. Slight edge

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Don Wrigley posted:

What I've noticed: for law school, there's no in between. Either you're earning $160,000 or you're earning $40,000, there's no such thing as a regular old salary (or so it seems).

for an MBA, on the other hand, it seems that the top 10 schools will get you a salary + bonus in the 140-150K range, top 20 in the 125-140 range, top 30 in the 110-125 range, and so on and so forth down.

Mid size firms will get you a salary in between these figures - like 80 to 100k. Law has some of the most variable pay of any field. The MBA figures you are quoting are for people that go into consulting or IB.

LofwyrSai
Jul 19, 2006

Don Wrigley posted:

New reply because totally unrelated...

My boss has been talking to me about going for a part-time MBA at Stern. I'm in my mid-30s and working as a software engineer at a large financial firm; i am a VP, but do not have direct reports. She actually brought it up--I'm a new VP and one of the younger ones, and she said the shortest path to MD and direct reports is an MBA.

Somewhat off topic but I love how everyone in finance is a "VP" even without any directs. I'm a Director now in a large "industry" firm with a medium size staff and growing, the VP I report to has 200 people under management. Finance titles are so inflated.