Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I've just started by part-time MBA--it's been slow-going and exhausting at night. I'll be done in 3.5 to 4 years. I'm taking a prerequisite Calculus course and a starter course on management.

I also like the way how it's finally 'my turn' to have an MBA just as the industry it'd be useful for is melting down. :a2m:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
When did you guys pick your concentrations? My part-time MBA will take 3.5 to 4 years at Rutgers and there's some hints that the answer is 'the sooner the better' even in my first semester here.

They're also changing the part-time curriculum and I can chose between the old and new ones. I would lose a class in waived undergrad credits if I chose the new one. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Thanks for your help guys.

I'm actually not doing that great in the program. Between work, the MBA, and my long commute I only get to see daylight on Saturdays and Sundays. My grades should improve as I move away from calculus and management courses and into the good stuff like international business and financial statement analysis (both of which I do for 50+ hours a week anyway). I don't think anybody goes into those general courses saying 'GODDAMN I LOVE CALCULUS' but it stills feels rough.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

locdogg posted:

For those interested, the latest Business Week rankings are out today: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

In my opinion they tend to have better criteria than US News, but that's up to debate. Even still, rankings are only useful if people put any stock in them, so take any of these charts with a grain of salt. Besides, they all tend to say the same thing year after year anyway!

Yay...made it to the "U.S. Programs Also Considered For Ranking " list. Haha.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Regarding the pre-req calculus course...this is what I'm struggling with.

The midterm encompassed 250 pages worth of material that was covered over 14 hours. Then we got into the actual calculus. Now we're in the mid-500's in the textbook, doing one example per section per chapter.

I have no calc or pre-calc experience whatsoever. It is brutal.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

propecia posted:

Any first year MBAs here really glad to be done with the semester but also really concerned about internship interviewing season coming up?

I'm happy that the first semester is coming to a close as a part-timer. Then my time spent between school, work, and driving between those places drops from 70 hours to 60 hours and I get to see my friends again and focus on not being part of my company's announced layoffs.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
So how did everybody do this semester? I passed calculus--the professor gave me the lowest possible grade necessary to not have to retake the class.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
How's everybody's semester going?

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

ultrafilter posted:

If you'd finished with a 2.95, you would find that people do care.

I wish I had a 2.95...

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Don Wrigley posted:

This is not true at all. Almost every person in my IT organization above my manager (my manager would be considered middle management, her manager would be considered upper management) is an MBA.

I agree--there appears to be more engineers (and accountants) in my MBA program than finance people, such as myself.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

@KJ&AR@ posted:

How would any NYC goons rate CUNY Baruch's Zicklin School of Business MBA program?

I work in the city, and want to pursue an MBA part time next year while sustaining my job and much needed income; Baruch and NYU have been two of the schools I was considering. NYU, I've crossed off for various reasons. Columbia would have been another option, but they don't seem to have a PT program yet.

How about Pace? Their PT program stood out when I was looking around...

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Started studying early June while taking the exam late July.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Thoguh posted:

Woohoo, just got accepted into the part time program at the University of Iowa (not a top 10 school, I know, but it's solidely ranked and work is paying the whole bill other than textbooks). Any evening/weekend MBA students have any words of wisdom for the next few years of my life?

Good job. Talk to other students to find out which professors to take, find out if you can get advanced standing, and keep in touch with your MBA student office to make sure you're generally taking the right classes in the right order. I'm in the part-time program at Rutgers and my company is basically doing the same, excluding courses that are "not directly related to my job," such as the calc prerequisite.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Thoguh posted:

If you don't mind my asking, what's advanced standing and why do I want it?

I received credit for taking certain similar classes as an undergrad at another AACSB accredited school. Basically, two MBA credits for each 3 credit undergrad course that fell under that category.

Bud posted:

Hey Modern Life Is War, I'm applying to Rutgers part time and I'd like to ask you a few questions if you wouldn't mind? No PMs so email mrejda at hotmail if you're up for it - I'll buy you some beers in NB

Sure.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Welp, one year in the books. I get the results of tonight's final tomorrow, so we'll see how I did. The GPA is merely a 3.05 right now, up from a 2.67 opening semester.

Last semester's hurdle was the Calc prereq and this semester's was a professor whose exams were completely from the text and lectures on whatever the hell he wanted to talk about that day. The midterm and final were mysteries.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

How accurate are the practice tests on the CD they send out? I just did a 620.

Unrelated note: Anyone else scholarship shopping? Know any good sites?

The practice tests were slightly harder than the real thing.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Got a 3.2 this semester. Boom goes the dynamite.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I work in international business and no one I work with (here or overseas) has a degree in international business. My boss is a CPA/MBA.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Has anyone else registered for the Fall yet? My schedule looks brutal--Data Mining (statistics) and an MIS course. Throw that on top of 50 hours at work (including the 2010 budget due the day before Thanksgiving) and you get a tough Fall. Ow ow ow.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Havoc904 posted:

4) Really any other advice or opinion on my situation would also be greatly apperiated!

The people at the top of my company's 'org chart' have both the CPA destination and an MBA. If possible, go for both.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Thoguh posted:

Sorry if you've stated this earlier in the thread, but what kind of industry do you work in?

I analyze the performance of a publishing company's foreign units (think of acronyms). I also help them with finance, accounting, and policy issues so they comply with US and UK GAAP. It's a combination of corporate finance and financial reporting.

I just want to reiterate that my MBA program has more accountants and engineers in it than finance people. I'm also in a state school and doing it part-time, so that's the only angle I can provide (sorry, no Wharton or Columbia stories here).

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

KELLER! posted:

Congratulations! Get ready for a busy couple of years.

Next week is the end of Summer term - I'll have 5 of 16 classes complete. :eng101:

16? I'm jealous. We have to complete 60 credits. :(

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

sheri posted:

I'm not going Ivy League/Big name school. Is it even worth it to obtain an MBA from a Non-Ivy/ Chicago/ etc school? I start this semester, so if it's not worth the cash I'd rather know now than at the end of the whole thing. I'm going to be attending Texas A & M.

Yes. One often forgets the tiny #s of people who actually get into the top schools and the even smaller number of people who work on Wall Street.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Advice: don't take the mandatory stats and MIS/IT course in the same semester.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
How's everyone's semester going? What are some ways that you guys are networking during the semester?

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Last day of my third semester. Four more semesters to go.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Gatts posted:

It has been stated before but, if you're going to get your MBA, get it from a top tier school and be sure you know where you're taking your career. Don't go right into your MBA after your undergrad and don't just go to any school even if it is accredited properly. Sigh, otherwise the ball will roll over you.

Yes and no. Naturally, only a tiny percentage of people enrolled in any MBA program anywhere are in the top schools. Thus, the wide majority of people in MBA programs are there to advance their careers, switch fields, turn a pretty average undergrad experience into a better grad school one, et al. I don't see a problem with getting an MBA for any of those reasons.

I do agree about not going directly into grad school from undergrad. Prove yourself in the real world first.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I used:
GMAT Premier Program 2008 Edition by Kaplan
Cracking the GMAT 2008 by The Princeton Review
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition

I also had Kaplan GMAT 800 2008-2009 Edition by Kaplan but ran out of time and didn't use it.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I've decided to speed up my part-time MBA at a state school. With three classes this summer, three in the fall, and two in the spring, I'll have 60 credits and will finish a lot quicker than originally planned. 14 months to go...

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I think he meant earning millions from running his own business.

I'm not going to recommend going for the MBA or not, but just to continue putting yourself in the best possible situation and seizing opportunities as they arise. If the MBA is part of that, so be it.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Anyone else doing summer courses? I started my part-time MBA right when this thread was born and I'll finish this time next year. :)

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

CaptainEO posted:

My actual score was very very close to my practice score. I just did a lot of practice tests for preparation. Make sure you are timing yourself - speed was an important factor for me on the math part.

Same here. I forget the actual scores, but the +/- was something like 10 points.

Carfax Report posted:

Hard to believe that I first started posting in this thread when I got accepted, and now I've graduated. Time flies!

Congrats man. I feel the same way: I was accepted in Sept 2008 and I'll finish in May 2011 (part-time at a state school though).

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
The tentative schedule for my last semester at Rutgers is out. Admittedly, it feels great. I need two more classes to complete my Management concentration (just finished the Finance concentration) and they're offering seven management classes in the Spring. Plus, they're offering two intense, two week trips to China and Dubai as 3 credit classes.

If everything works out, the part-time program here took 3 years while working in international finance as an analyst during the day.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Just paid the tuition for my last semester for my part-time MBA at a state school. I'll be declaring for graduation in a few weeks too. It feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Thanks guys. This thread and my MBA both started at the same time (I'm on page one), but talk seems to have focused on the top 20 schools and their full time programs for the past two and half years so I've been unable to really contribute much. My school is in the mid-50s.

My last two courses are electives to gain concentrations in Finance and Management. The curriculum changed the semester after I entered and I had the choice to pick one or the other. The program is 60 credits and I took 8 classes this year (6pm - 9pm weeknights, no online courses at all) on top of my Analyst gig, trying to finish early. I got advanced standing because my undergrad and business school were both AACSB accredited. I worked through the whole thing and my company paid for most of it.

Liked: All of the finance courses.
Disliked: 1) Most group work. So you trade barrels of oil on NYMEX or help run an IT department at Goldman and can't produce your part of the report on time, eh?? 2) Courses that mention Michael Porter incessantly or cover the same stuff about innovation and strategic transformation over and over again.