Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

Hardcore Albacore posted:

I'd been applying for internships for months now and I haven't gotten any responses :(

What are you guys doing for the summer? What schools do you go to and where did you get an internship?

I'm a recent graduate still looking for a full-time position. It would be easier to give you some feedback if you let us know were you were and what kind of internship you were looking for.

When did you start looking for a position? What function are you looking to fill? Big firms or small firms? ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

jlr5559 posted:

I am currently working as a high school history teacher, but I want to get a MBA in order to change careers. Will my work experience in education hurt me when applying to business schools?

Work experience is never going to hurt. Best thing you can due is figure out what stories you want to give about your work experience. Did you learn how to facilitate meetings? Handle stress? Analyze things? Ect. Ect. Ect. How does your teaching experience set you apart from other candidates.

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

sheri posted:

I'm not going Ivy League/Big name school. Is it even worth it to obtain an MBA from a Non-Ivy/ Chicago/ etc school? I start this semester, so if it's not worth the cash I'd rather know now than at the end of the whole thing. I'm going to be attending Texas A & M.

It really depends on what you're looking for the degree to do for you. If you're looking to make it to wall street from A&M it's going to be an uphill struggle. If you're looking to stay in the Texas area or get into some area of Oil/Petro-chemicals - they sure, the A&M MBA is probably going to get you some great contacts. Like has been said several times in the thread, a lot of it has to do with the connections you make while in school.

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

Super Locrian posted:

MBA veterans: I'm starting a program in the fall that recommends that I have two suits. I have one, a charcoal suit; is it really imperative for me to get a blue suit and a black suit as well?

On the topic of clothing, I know the expectation is to dress at least "business casual". Does that get more relaxed as the semester goes on? Will I ever get to go to class in flip flops and shorts? (I realize these are kind of dumb questions, but if I have to buy a totally new wardrobe, I want to know)

You should be fine with one well tailored suit. Once you get in and get your feet wet you can reassess.

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

Frank Zappa posted:

-In selecting the B-school that I want to go to, between the options I listed (again, UT-D, SMU, TCU, UT McCombs--I haven't looked at University of Dallas yet), can anyone push me in one way or another? The way I see it is that SMU would be probably the most powerful if I wanted to stay in Dallas, where as UT probably is the most well known internationally... What about UT-D? Is it really worth the $60,000 - $70,000 delta?

It really depends on what you wanted to do with the MBA. I'm in Dallas now, and I would say that if you are planning to stay with your current company - or really Dallas in general, and you have to foot the bill then your best bet is UT-D.

If someone else is picking up the tab or if you want to go to school in Dallas, but not stay in Dallas, then SMU would be my choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metashack
Oct 10, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

Im about to graduate with an undergraduate degree in econ in June 2011 and I want to pursue an MBA immediately. How realistic is this? Are there programs for people with no work experience? While I haven't been working a 9-5 for a few years, I do have multiple summer internships at different companies and research gigs from university.

Edit: at my summer internship this past summer I was introduced to "deliverables". Also every god damned meeting we had was an "exercise".

Like has been said - it really depends on the program as to your chances.

Unlike has been said - and MBA is just like grad school. In fact, it is grad school.

The reason that the average age of MBA students has been pushing higher over time is based on the ranking system by used by U.S. News & World Report and others. One of the big metrics used is average pay of graduates. It follows that if you exit with work experience plus the MBA you will be making more than graduates with no experience. With most schools, those salaries will equalize after 5 to 7 years.

There are programs out there that recognize that the rankings are flawed and are making moves to try and change them.

It wasn't until the late 70's early 80's that the idea of needing work experience before entering a program was the norm - and the average age of students has been creeping up since.