Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone that's interested in the world of MBA should check out Ahead of the Curve by Philip Delves Broughton. It's less about the technical stuff and more about what it's like working towards an MBA at Harvard. I'm only 70 pages in but it's been pretty informative and entertaining so far.

Amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/Ahead-Curve-Harvard-Business-School/dp/1594201757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224130824&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

what the heck do athletic rankings have to do with anything..oh you americans

There's usually a correlation between division and academia. Big schools get better athletes and better teachers.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

locdogg posted:

Athletic success also drives awareness/positive impression of the university as a whole. It's often referred to as the "Flutie Factor".

BC sucks. Doug Flutie sucks. We beat them in hockey last weekend and earned ourselves a shoutout on The Daily Show. #1 ranking my rear end.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

I was just being a prick.

Okay. So what the gently caress is your point?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

I like how you ignore the rest of my sentence that answers your question, dumb gently caress.

No I just thought that part summarized your post nicely.

ion posted:

Anywhere else in the world, college sports means nothing.

Fantastic, we're talking about American schools.

What is the point in coming into a thread about an American degree and just saying "Yea well its not like this in other places!".

Whats wrong with having a school get recognition for its sports teams? With maybe a couple exceptions, the schools with the biggest names and best academic programs have the best sports teams. It's really not that complex.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I still don't understand what it is you're trying to argue.

You came into an informative thread and acted like a dick and people told you to shut up. No one gave you any poo poo until you started insulting a perfectly reasonable idea.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What sort of work experience do top 10 MBA programs look for?

I have a potential opportunity to get a GE Financial Management program internship in January and these internships are suppose to be fantastic first steps to getting into the program when you graduate. My ultimate goal is to get an MBA at an Ivy or other top tier school but even after reading a few books I really only know a lot about what people do after getting MBAs as opposed to before.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

So yes yes yes take the summer internship, because it really sets you apart if you have strong business experience before going into business school, because during recruitment time after first year MBA, it will be a huge asset in securing a top associate internship in a field like finance or consulting.

Also these days, recruitment at business schools is going for younger and younger students.

I think the gist of what I'm saying is that the MBA is seen more for advancement rather than a career switch/start. Switching careers by leveraging business school is almost a whole other ball game. In some companies, there is no pressure or need for management and workers to spend two years for a degree at all. In other companies, there is. It really is all positional.

This will be my first of three internships before I graduate undergrad. I find out if I got the interview tomorrow but it's likely I will. But I think this will be a great opportunity to get experience while I'm still only 20.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

With three relevant business internships (is this co-op?), I think you should apply directly to MBA if you have good marks.

Yes it is Co-Op. I'm not sure about the specifics but I know GE Capital is very supportive time wise and financially for MBA students if this does pan out to a career opportunity (as it sometimes does).

Even if I don't get the Financial Management Program Co Op, GE also has 6 spots open in the Aviation department for Finance Co Ops in the area too.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

What school in Ontario? ;)

Boston actually! It's impossible to tell with GE though, it's easier to name the places they don't have offices than places they do. I think for the Financial Management Program the places I might end up are Norwalk CT, Billerica MA, or somewhere in Nowhere Wisconsin. Honestly, I dont want to go to Wisconsin but I may bite the bullet if I was afforded the opportunity to get in on this program.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ion posted:

Oh weird. Co-op is mostly a Canadian thing, it was sorta pioneered by UWaterloo. Most American schools usually just have summer internships and on campus recruitment/career fairs.

Yeah there are a few schools here that have pretty established programs. I know Drexel does, RIT, GIT, and Northeastern where I go all do.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Got a chance to talk to Jim Swanson (Harvard MBA, regular CNBC/Bloomberg TV guest, Chief Investment Strategist at MFS) today, and it was really awesome. He gave us a run down of his current viewpoint on the markets, doled out some general career advice, and told us his door was always open if we wanted to pick his brain for career advice which is going to be loving awesome. I now need to think up good questions before my internship ends in June.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Would there be interest in a Finance/Banking internship thread? I don't want to muck up this thread of the Big 4 thread. I've been hesitant to start one because I've only done 1 internship with a mid-tier IM firm and might not have a lot to offer but it seems like there might be some interest.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

BC and NU both outrank BU for undergraduate Finance but businessweek has BU ranked highest for their full-time MBA program but those rankings are so fickle. I know that BC has the best reputation out of the three though. Northeastern's reputation has been increasing year by year while it seems BU has been stagnating for the last decade.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Could anyone here that goes to or has been admitted to a top 25 program tell me what their undergraduate GPA was?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

http://www.leveragedsellout.com

I just stumbled on this blog. It's a refreshingly hilarious take on being young and in finance.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Agent Escalus posted:

Well, a friend of mine just got accepted into MIT's MBA program (after being rejected from Harvard ha ha ha!)

If anyone has a question you'd like to pass on, I'll be happy to do so.

One thing I think EVERYONE would be interested to hear is that apparently they didn't even contact his references. What he did was, he looked up the questions they ask reference-givers on Google, drafted the replies for his reference-givers, sent them the stuff he typed, and they read it over, made whatever edits they wanted, then submitted them to the school. When he told his givers that he got in, it was as much of a pleasant surprise to them as they hadn't received any contact from MIT at all!

I'd be interested to know where he went to undergrad and what he did in between graduating and getting accepted.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

I am still doing my undergraduate work, but I was looking at some of the MBAs available to me, and one of them has a Forensic Accounting concentration, which looked pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with Forensic Accounting in either an academic or professional setting?

Some government forensic accounting positions give you a gun. Accountants with guns, enough said.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

the SA guy did an amazing job on mine. I went from zero call backs to like an interview every other week until I got my current job. One interviewer straight up told me that they had a ton of people that were more qualified, but my resume was so well done that they decided to give me a shot.

...I think my ROI for his service is probably the most profitable thing I've ever done.

Same here. Best ~$80 I ever spent.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Study hard kids.

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/09/tuck-mba-reports-863k-pay-package/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I don't claim to be any type of expert on MBA admissions but my perception is that work pedigree is one of if not the most important criteria for admissions. Schools like to pretend that everyone is on a level playing field but you need to have a pretty interesting story to get into a top school from somewhere other than a well-known tier 1/2 company.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

People trying to gauge their chances at different schools should start following this series of articles on P&Q.

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/17/your-odds-of-getting-into-a-top-mba-program/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

sok2bametalhead posted:

Chicago Booth class of 2012 checking in. I'm wrapping up my penultimate quarter in the Full-Time program. If people have questions, I might be in a good position to respond. I can speak to coursework, summer internships, the application process, and general observations about the backgrounds of my colleagues (it sounds like there are a lot of "what background do I need?" questions).

How well were F500 companies represented among your peers? What companies and what demographics? Also thanks for doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Its Miller Time posted:

I've been working for one of the major entertainment and media, especially in movies, valuation and advisory companies in LA for the past six months. It's made me consider careers in these areas. What are some of the major ways MBA graduates get involved in the movie industry and e&m world in general, and what are some schools with good programs in this? I was hoping to go to a better program than UCLA but obviously I bet they'd be strong in this.

NYU Stern has an Entertainment, Media, and Tech specialization. Although that may not be an option if you want to stay on the west coast.