Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
I've heard it said that the main advantage of getting an MBA isn't the actual knowledge you gain through taking the classes, but rather the network of contacts and friends you meet who will presumably help you down the road in your career.

I've been thinking about getting an MBA as a step toward someday starting my own company, so I'm not as interested in the piece of paper or the network of contacts. I'd rather just keep working my current job and studying independently if possible.

From the standpoint of someone purely interested in gaining the knowledge, could I realistically learn all the same things as someone with an MBA just by buying some textbooks online and studying them at my own pace? I know some schools have a good number of lecture videos online, as well as the syllabus and class assignments. Is this a reasonable alternative to actually going to business school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU