Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Radio Talmudist posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I've been floating the possibility of pursuing an MBA with some of my professional friends and what some people are telling me is that MBAs are like JDs in that degrees from top schools are the only ones that matter (think of the idea of T14 law schools). Is this a gross over simplification, or is it genuinely a waste of time to attend a school ranked 26th in the country?

Secondly, what should I make of job placement rates on sites like bloomberg that have profiles of MBA programs? Apparently UTexas Austin has a 95% placement rate. Is this shady propaganda or a valid metric that indicates a strong program?

If you look at the data yourself you will find that there's a similar trend. Multiply placement rate (job accepted within 3 mo of graduation) by expected salary for US FT MBA programs and the trend is obvious.

I did some data collection last year and came up with this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Sits on Pilster posted:

To answer your first question, I am an American and graduated from a top MBA school in continental Europe in September.

I cannot compare it's "goodness" with any other MBA program, I can tell you that my return on investment, including foregone salary during the program, will be about a year.

Was your goal to be in Europe, or was your decision based on the financials you cited?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

shrike82 posted:

The opportunity cost of going for a "cheap" MBA is that you're potentially wasting one of the few opportunities out there for a lateral career move.
If you're looking at a non-tier 1 program, you should really look at what you expect to gain out of it.

MBAs are fundamentally about networking and job opportunities. No one's going to give a poo poo that you "learnt" management at a random B-school.

Has anyone done two MBAs?

I was thinking of doing the MBA at Western Governors online, because:
(1) it's $10k
(2) it'll be good to have on my resume and is relevant to my current work
(3) if I do a $$$ MBA I want it to be face-to-face because of the networking, and when I'm ready to pivot
(4) I'm confident I know the material since I took a number of undergrad Berkeley Haas courses

BUT I don't want to deprive myself of a future MBA opportunity at a B&M school. I suppose I could tell the adcom that "hey the online experience really sucked may I have a do-over".

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Swingline posted:

Since when does online anything look good on a resume? You don't learn poo poo in a MBA its all about networking and prestige aka the opposite of online colleges.

Because I'm business director of this company, dealing with JDs and PhDs, I'd feel better about my name with MBA at the back of it :ohdear:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Radio Talmudist posted:

Do you guys feel it would be useful for me to email a few B. school professors and ask to sit in one or two classes so I can see how a typical MBA course is like?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mba+observe+class&oq=mba+observe+class

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
https://www.google.com/search?q=economist+darden+placement+3+months+after+graduation et al

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I believe there are some guys in PWM over in the ibanking thread.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Thoguh posted:

My main thought on that is that an MBA is very much a generalist degree. Its about learning enough about all the parts of running a business that you can succeed at it. Its about being a mile wide and an inch deep. A doctorate is the opposite. Its about being a total expert in one small thing. Its about being an inch wide and a mile deep.

I can't even think what somebody getting a DBA would study.

Presumably a DBA would create a new management model. (with the mathematical rigor of one undergraduate calculus course and a hand-wavy statistics for social sciences summer session)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Looks fine to me. If your GPA is 2.5 or whatever, it's not like you have better options unless you are a literal rock star or football player.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

dumpster17 posted:

Another (easier) solution to low GPA (mine was a 2.6) is to kill the GMAT. I mean, I wasn't getting hits from Wharton, but lower top 50 (decent F500 placement, not iBank/VC feeders) dug it just fine. Though I should point out that employers will care a lot about your undergrad GPA, which can make internships a PITA.

I'd pick a flagship state school like Colorado-Boulder at 90% off over a lower top 50 school if I were committed to staying in the same state for lifestyle/family reasons.

Gobias, if you're 6+ years out of school, going back to do complex analysis and abstract algebra will be...difficult.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Oh come on, he was specifically talking about programs outside of the top 20ish. You're both pissingintowind :haw:

Like my undergrad was at Berkeley but because of my poo poo GPA (2.x) and lack of big name companies (started a business), my local options in SoCal are pretty much UC Irvine, Pepperdine, and Cal State Fullerton. These are the programs to think long and hard about IMO.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Keith Stone posted:

Also, I have been accepted to Western Governors Universities Online MBA program.

Let us know how that goes. I think everyone gets in but I wonder how rigorous (or not) the classes are.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I believe Brooks Brothers has a sale on sets 4 shirts for ~$47 per shirt.

The Nordstrom semi-annual sale is on right now, it's the Nordstrom anniversary sale that's coming up in a few weeks. The current sale does include a blucher captoe at $200 available in walnut or brown.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Keith Stone posted:

3. Doesn't seem to be any interaction between students. For me, this is no problem as I am not going to be networking in my career any more than I already do. Someone in their 20s will not benefit from this lack of interaction.

Awesome insights--thank you for sharing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I would suggest USC as a related program if film is your goal and you are also looking at Concordia.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You can get a TN visa to work as a Canadian, which is easier than being a random international.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Frost000 posted:

I was under the impression that in order to get a TN visa, I'd need an official job offer from an American employer and my job title would have to specifically linked to what I've been studying (my BA was in Communications). Plus, with a J1 as a student, it complicates things... No?

You're better off than most other nationalities, that's all. Not saying it's a sure deal.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Smeef posted:

I finally heard back from INSEAD Singapore. got rejected... jk got in. BOOYAH

Congrats! Do you have any previous ties to Asia/Singapore?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Ephemeron posted:

Thanks to everybody who reassured me that sub-2.5. undergrad GPA is not a death sentence. Just got the letter of acceptance from Oxford, which was my No. 1 target.

Hooray, you're an inspiration! :unsmith:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So, people here have been talking about how it is a bad idea to go to the university that you got your undergrad from because you end up exposed to the same people and ideas as undergrad and it is good to diversify.

I think this advice is aimed more for people who did their undergrad at Penn and want to do their MBA at Stanford and get instantly hired by a McKinsey. Stop worrying so much.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Noah posted:

It's also more applicable for people going into academia as a field.

I think it's going to be difficult to get into academia with an MBA, as opposed to a masters/phd.

By the way how's Cal State Long Beach's placement? I'm thinking of moving to Belmont Shore, which would make evening/weekend classes there pretty attractive.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
In my undergraduate business courses (not the same I know, but it was early 2000s), I remember reading Harvard Business Review cases on Dell and Lenovo. And the lecture hall was named after Arthur Andersen.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If I went to an MBA program (with the goal of career change) and half of the connections I made were within my existing company, I'd be very unhappy. My guess is that people do MBAs with the primary goal of "networking and interning" are looking for career change across industries/sub-industries/sectors/spaces/verticals/markets.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you considering taking a post-MBA internship over a full time offer?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FreshFeesh posted:

Online EMBA program

I wouldn't do an online EMBA program. It will be very expensive for knowledge that you can get somewhere else. The networking will be much more limited than what you can do in the flesh. It just seems pointless to me especially when you have experience running your own firm.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Chinese economy may stall too..

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay. Is "Chief Financial Officer" a reasonable goal?

CPA is probably a better value there. Getting an MBA without a concrete goal is a terrible idea because it opens up less doors than you think without the attendant skills and experience that most MBA students already have, and is certain to cost a poo poo ton of money. It just doesn't sound like a good fit with the background you described.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 21, 2017

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Beach is okay for checking a box and getting education. What are you on the hook for financially?

If learning is genuinely what you're looking for, you can get the knowledge much cheaper. The ROI on an MBA comes from connections that will help your career. An MBA is a very indirect and imprecise way to gain skills to run your own company, and since you are actively doing so, you'll be frustrated at the parts of the coursework that don't relate to your entrepreneurship.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Huh? You just graduated and are looking to do an MBA? And you're saying this is the peak of a recession? I don't understand. What has your work experience been?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I would just start applying for the director positions you’re after, while also networking at whatever industry wide conferences are applicable to you.

The broader job market is hot right now and you might not need that MBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

politicomama posted:

I am going into my last term as an MBA student. Luckily it is being paid for because I work at the university. I currently work in advancement (fundraising), but I am trying to branch out to make more $$. I have looked into management consulting, but everyone keeps telling me how hard it is to get into a good consulting company. I live in a big city (Philly) so there are a lot of large companies in the area. I cannot move because I am married with two young children (under 5).

Which conferences would you suggest attending for job placement opportunities? Any tips for job hunting in my last semester? I'm so happy that I'll be finished soon.

If anyone has questions about applying, and b-school itself, ask away.

Your MBA school career center should be helping you with this if it is a halfway-decent MBA program.