Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

unterdude posted:

This doesn't pertain necessarily to MBA's but it is related close enough. I would like to pursue studies in Quantitative Trading, but I am a freshman majoring in Finance right now. Would picking up a minor in Math give me a good enough background to apply for school in Masters in Quantitative Finance? I know this field traditionally only accepts Math, Physics, and Statistics majors.

Take a look at some MsF Quant programs and look at their requirements. Some websites will detail specific courses that are basically pre-reqs for these programs. For example, from Wisconson's MsF Quant program:

University of Wisconsin posted:

To be considered, candidates must have completed and performed well in the prerequisite courses: 3 semesters of calculus, and 1 semester each of linear algebra, differential equations and probability theory. A candidate who completes additional advanced courses in mathematics and statistics beyond the requirements increases his or her chance of acceptance into the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

xdimitrix posted:

I have a good gpa, 730 gmat, CFA, but the competition is so intense for the top programs now I'm not sure how much chance I have. It seems like having good "stats" is just a minimum requirement nowadays and without some kind of interesting story you won't get in.

I'm hoping to get into a top 10 school, work for a little bit at a top firm/pay loans off, then have the freedom to do whatever I want. I also think having a good school & firm brand name would be extremely helpful when trying to convince others to trust me with their money if I ever opened my own firm.

If you're interested in staying in equity research, you should take a look at UT-Austin and UW-Madison (ASAP). Both of these schools are top ~30 programs with focused investment management programs. Both have student investment portfolios, and have pretty decent recruiting success with top New York firms. I'm a 2nd year student at UW-Madison, and I scored an internship with Credit Suisse this past summer. My buddy interned at UBS. I can give you some insights into these programs if you're interested in non-top 10 options.

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

hurleytime posted:

My first choice in a few years is going to be UW Madison. Are there any prior enlisted military in the MBA program there?

I have been in 8 years at this point and am getting out in 2012, and want to start after the summer. A few questions for you. I haven't contacted admissions with this, but do you know how they view a degree earned online? I know it is a "total package" thing with people, but it would be nice to know what kind of chance I have getting into UW-Madison. I understand that UW-Madison only accepts 20% of applicants into the program. Is it really that competitive or are the majority of applicants really not qualified (no real experience, low GPA or test scores)?

One of the current first year students was in the army. Another was a pro football player. I honestly don't know what the applicant profile is, but I'll discuss what the class profile is. The profile for ASAP is higher in terms of GPA/GMAT than it is for the rest of the MBA program. If you're interested in talking about the program email me at emptygenius@gmail.com. I can probably give you a decent sense of what admissions is looking for and how you stack up.

EmptyGenius
Jul 9, 2007

dodatron posted:

I think my background (math based) would fit well in finance, I'm just worried about making such a big change in my career path. Does anyone have experience with the CMC (certified mgmt consultant), CFA, or PRM designations?

I've passed level 2 of the CFA and can probably answer most of your questions about it. I would only consider it if you are serious about getting into investment management, quantitative finance analysis, or securities research, etc. That said, the designation is highly appreciated in the industry, and can certainly help you get interviews.