Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

lolercoasterrr posted:

How long do people generally study for the GMAT? I've heard LSAT studying is on average probably around ~3 months... I figure GMAT was ~1 correct?

It depends the most on how long you've been out of school before you take it. If you still remember the math rules and just need to get used to the test format, a month is probably more time than you'd need. If you've forgotten the math rules, it may take longer to brush up on it. Be your own judge on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

I ended up trending about 20 points lower on the practice test than I did on the real one. However I studied a fair amount more after I took the last practice test, so maybe it pegged me and I just got better.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

nnnotime posted:

Executive MBA?

Actually, this brings up a question that I've been wondering about : how well are executive MBAs received vs regular ones? The company I work for, for example, will pay tuition for a part time MBA, but won't pay anything for an executive MBA, implying that it doesn't think the EMBA's worth much. Is that a normal viewpoint? Would it be worth it for someone who had a regular MBA to go back and get the executive one as well (after the customary extra experience/company level/etc.)?

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a question about part time MBA focuses and how they are received in the world. I'm going to Xavier University, and he focus requirement to take a set of electives totaling either 9 or 12 credit hours. The two focus categories I'm interested in are "General Business" and Finance, which is take 9 hours of anything or 12 hours of Finance courses respectively. I'm going to be graduating from a part time MBA program either next Spring or Summer of 2012 depending on what focus I take, since I'll be short 3 hours in the focus and would have that hanging on into Summer.

Reason I ask is my GB focus would have 9 hours of Finance electives anyway, and my wife and I are working out some family planning things and my nightschooling plus her 2nd/3rd year of residency = darn little time for kids. I want to do this right and if that means hanging around for the summer, so be it (I can juggle it such that the summer course is online, anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard), but if nobody cares about this stuff then why bother? Particularly since my background isn't in business, is anyone really going to care what I focus in?

Background: BS in Chemistry, MS in Chemical Engineering, working as an chemical engineer for a drat fine Fortune 500 company since 2008. I'd want to use my MBA once I've got it, so I'd likely move out of an engineering role into something more financial/business related, but have no plans thus far.

Thanks.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Orgasmo posted:

If you can specify the courses of each choice it would make it easier for the finance guys to advise. Off the cuff, I would recommend the finance route if you felt confidently that 1) you have a knack, liking or penchant for finance and 2) you see yourself using the finance aspect of your MBA in your current and future employment (does Chemical Engineering or management of CE-related teams have opportunities for you to use that specialty). Otherwise, you're fine with the GB deal especially if it makes wife happy.

I've got the like and ability for finance just fine - I'm taking 3 electives in finance in any case, it's only a question of picking up the last 1. So far I know that the 3 electives I'll be taking/have taken are International Finance, Financial Modeling, and Investment Management. These 3 satisfy the General Business focus, so the only question is what would the 4th class be, and I can't honestly say. Until next Spring's schedules is posted I don't know what will be offered. I'd probably like to get Mergers and Acquisitions, but to a large extent it would be picking the best of what is offered.

Obviously by the time I need to make up my schedule for Spring I'll have a better idea what timing I'm dealing with and if it will even be an issue, but I figured I'd ask. My inclination is to get the Finance degree because I'll have been at this thing for 3 solid years by then and it seems stupid to quit 1 class shy, but it seems equally stupid to put my family through a rough patch if the focus designation isn't worth anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Milky_Sauce posted:

I admit I'm a bit dense with puns, but I don't even get this one :saddowns:

I think that the idea is that usually the expression would be "an x or two," implying that a few of whatever was fine. In this case, the joke is that you get one and only one, in spite of the wording.