Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis
Here is a question that may be difficult to answer, or really easy, but here goes:

A student wants to apply for an MBA program at a prestigious program.

His undergrad gpa, 3.6 in MIS from Oakland University in MI
His employment for 2 years: Pricewaterhousecoopers in San Francisco
His location preference: anywhere
He's African-American
He volunteers at boys and girls club
Plus, he has earned a customs broker license, not an easy feat as only 10% of those who take the test pass.

So, as for strategy:

Take the GMAT now, apply, and see what happens?
OR
Work another year or 2 or 3, maybe get a promotion, make more money...and see what happens?

Does anyone know if PWC ever puts their people through an MBA program? This person wants to start his own business, but certainly is too young and inexperienced at this time. Thanks for any info you can offer, I want to push him towards highed ed. but he is unsure if its worth it.

Greve fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis

Carfax Report posted:

He should apply for the MBA. However, he should wait another 1-2 years.

The MBA will give him the network he needs to be successful. He should be aware that some programs are more entrepreneur oriented than others; Harvard and Stanford are known for their entrepreneurial programs. Columbia, Wharton, Chicago are more Finance/Wall Street, though to its credit Columbia is working hard to boost its entrepreneur program.

He should wait 1-2 more years because competition is intense right now and odds will be better then, and because more experience on the resume will make for a stronger application. He won't get accepted if he applies in the fall; he should wait for the Class of 2013 or 2014 rounds.

My friends who worked at PWC were not sponsored; it doesn't mean that they don't sponsor, but I don't know of a case where they did. Even if they did sponsor, it would mean he'd be coming back to PWC for a while afterward.

There are advantages that he has as an African American as well. At Columbia, the black business students association (BBSA) has an incredibly strong network that he can tap to help him raise funds as an entrepreneur. They also offer scholarships for black students to help him pay for the education.

If he/you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone. I'm happy to chat about my experiences and what I know about the application process.

This goes for anyone in the thread also thinking about applying to Columbia; I'm happy to answer questions you may have, just send me a PM.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along. I don't even know if he has a business plan or if he just wishes he didn't work for a company like pwc (pressure constantly, 70hr work weeks which when money is factored in he ends up making minimum wage)

I only wish I could go to columbia..I live just 30 blocks away.