Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I currently have a pretty good job, but am looking to move up in the company. Basically the only way is to bust your rear end for 20 years, or get some sort of degree. I am currently going for a bachelor's in business.

I am wondering if an MBA is worth it to me or not. Please note I am completely awful in math, and will be lucky to pass pre-calc. However, I am currently obtaining a 3.9 GPA 50 or so credits in (1 lousy B in history). However, I am not going to an amazing school or anything. It's a state school, but not exactly a community college. Will my near-perfect GPA (hopefully it stays that way) offset the fact that I went to a school almost anyone can get into?

Is a bachelor's in business pretty much laughable? Meaning, am I wasting my time if I don't eventually go for an MBA?

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

locdogg posted:

No, a BA is a good thing to have even if you don't get an MBA. And don't worry about state schools, many of them are fine institutions. Last time I checked, U Mich, U Texas, and U Cal were all state schools and I don't think anyone really thinks that because they are public they suck. Even directionals have their value and a degree from them is superior to no degree at all. It shows you have some commitment to having your poo poo together.

As for getting an MBA, my advice is to cross that bridge when you get to it. It sounds like you're at least a few years away from that decision. You need to finish your BA first and you've got like what, 80 more credits to go? Relax.

Like it was said though, a lot of schools require calc I to get in. Once you're there, I can't really say how much you'll use it, I didn't encounter any serious mathematical equations beyond mid level algebra in my classes that I noticed, so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks but the business degree is actually a BS, not a BA. Is this common?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
My job has just informed me that because I have a decent GPA for my nearly-finished undergraduate degree in business administration, that they'd be willing to foot the bill for an MBA if I wanted to go.

The problem is that the only reason I was able to get my BS in business was because my school had a good 80% of their classes online. The other 20% was in-class. Because of my crazy work schedule and other personal factors, I'd have to attend a 100% online university for my MBA.

My boss doesn't have a problem with online degrees, but the higher ups do and they won't pay for it. Let me correct that: they will pay for it as long as my degree or transcrips say nothing about it being an online school/class. Meaning it has to be a legitimate school that just so happens to have online classes. My transcripts or degree cannot look any different from someone who lives 1 mile from campus and physically went there.

My current school is like this. 80% of my degree was earned online, and there's literally no indication on the transcripts. My degree will not have the words "online", "internet", or "information superhighway" anywhere on it. This is what I need from the MBA program.

Can anyone recommend a school that has a physical campus that offers 100% of their classes online (but classes that they also have in a physical class if I actually wanted to)? Thanks so much, because googling this is giving me too many thebestwebsitetogetyourMBAfrom.com results.

Edit: If it helps, my GPA is a 3.84, my current job is office work but not really business related, and I am a female.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 23, 2012

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Not really; that's actually proving what I said, that jobs don't want to hear "online MBA" and my question was what school offers one that doesn't differentiate between an online MBA and one you get in-class.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 24, 2012

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Milky_Sauce, here's a c/p of the Penn State one.
What will the iMBA diploma and transcript actually say?
Your diploma will state that The Pennsylvania State University grants you the Degree of Master of Business Administration in recognition of the completion of advanced study in business administration. Additionally, your transcript will be a Penn State transcript. Neither the diploma nor the transcript will differentiate the mode (online or otherwise) in which the courses or degree was completed.

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I will give Penn State a shot. I've had a regular, full time job for about 7 years, but it's barely a business-related job. I have a 3.84 GPA (BS in Business), but I worry that and that alone will not get me into Penn State. I got an A in Accounting 1 and 2, Economics 1 and 2, and every business class, but I got a C in statistics :ohdear:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Hired_Sellout posted:

As an admissions guy from Harvard once told me, "Nobody cares if you get a 'C' or one."

I admit I'm a bit dense with puns, but I don't even get this one :saddowns: