Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Milky_Sauce posted:

I currently have a pretty good job, but am looking to move up in the company. Basically the only way is to bust your rear end for 20 years, or get some sort of degree. I am currently going for a bachelor's in business.

I am wondering if an MBA is worth it to me or not. Please note I am completely awful in math, and will be lucky to pass pre-calc. However, I am currently obtaining a 3.9 GPA 50 or so credits in (1 lousy B in history). However, I am not going to an amazing school or anything. It's a state school, but not exactly a community college. Will my near-perfect GPA (hopefully it stays that way) offset the fact that I went to a school almost anyone can get into?

Is a bachelor's in business pretty much laughable? Meaning, am I wasting my time if I don't eventually go for an MBA?

GPA does not mean poo poo in the real world. I finished grad school with a 3.95 GPA. Nobody cares.

But yeah, a bachelor's in business is definitely not a wasted investment. If you're still young, go on and get your MBA. It's a great investment. It will pay for itself, trust me.

Also, don't get hung up on the name of your school. As long as it's not an online diploma mill with University of Phoenix accreditation, it's good enough. Having a better school on your resume will help you get an interview, but if you're floating resumes to posted openings, you're doin' it wrong anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

xdimitrix posted:

Does anyone know if a good GMAT score usually factors into a "merit" based scholarship? I have a high GPA from a no name school and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending more study time to boost my GMAT up. On practice tests I'm scoring 0-30 points above my target schools' median, but my math score sucks so I think I could boost my score another 20-30 points with a lot of effort.

I'm more concerned with getting tuition knocked off than for entrance purposes, since from what I hear an above threshold GMAT score doesn't add anything to your application.

Each scholarship (and school admissions department) is different, but having a higher GMAT score will definitely help you if you are trying for a merit-based scholarship. I'd say that having a good undergraduate transcript is a lot more important, but having high marks on the GMAT should certainly help.

So yes, it is worth spending some study time to boost your score. It will probably help prepare you for the tedium of your Operations classes and such, too.