Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
Any first year MBAs here really glad to be done with the semester but also really concerned about internship interviewing season coming up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
These past few weeks have been pretty rough for first year intern recruiting. I go to a Top 20, and while brand management jobs seem to be okay (CPGs seem to be better off right now), corporate finance positions have been extremely scarce.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
Pretty well. It's a pretty good time to learn finance.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
I think most MBA programs pretty much look at GMAT + experience anyway. If you feel that your GPA would keep you out of a school, address it (as a learning/growth experience) in the optional essay during application.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

oxsnard posted:

1. It's a worthwhile investment
2. What kind of experience should I have before i apply
3. How hard it is to get into your run of the mill state university MBA programs.

Any insights or advice would be awesome

Vanderbilt has a health care MBA that is very highly regarded. However, it is a full time program.

I'm not sure if I can answer the first question - it really depends on how much value you place on your current employment and location. Some people are willing to give up two years of income and move across the country to go to a top school for the hope of a 125k+ a year payday after graduation. Other people get their MBA on the weekend because of their job, family, etc. It depends on fit I guess.

I really hate to sound like the people on the Business Week forums or (even worse) College Confidential, but the MBA is obviously not equal between programs. You could go to UVa Darden, which is known as one of tougher programs as far as workload, or you could get it from UPhoenix online. Employers are going to value these differently - but again, it all depends on what works for you and what you want out of it.

As far as experience is concerned, most programs say at least 2-4 years.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

exiledone posted:

Is it worth pursuing an MBA when I already have like 90k in undergraduate student loans (about 20k is student loans in my name)? I have a full-time job, but they only reimburse up to $7500 per year.

If you want my opinion, I would not do that right now.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

ion posted:

Another scathing article of MBAs and business schools, this time by The New Republic: http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=c4e9e361-fcdd-4098-afe5-400051102592

That's interesting. No doubt that plenty of folks attended these top schools to make bank after a short 2 years of education. But without the quants coming out of PhD programs such as Chicago and MIT, I really doubt that any MBA curriculum is sophisticated enough to develop the "financial tools" described the article.

I definitely think that you can place blame on the MBA culture of the past 10 years, but I would have liked to see the article flesh things out a little bit, as damning as it wants to be.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

Hardcore Albacore posted:

I'd been applying for internships for months now and I haven't gotten any responses :(

What are you guys doing for the summer? What schools do you go to and where did you get an internship?

I'm a 1st year full-time at IU-Kelley and I'm working in corporate finance this summer.

propecia fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 2, 2009

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

I would like to know what the value of Penn State Erie's MBA program is. It's AACSB accredited, but not exactly soaring on the rankings. Trying to swing into investment management (not the super competitive wall-street jobs, the smaller shops). Am I wasting my time?

Is instate tuition a consideration?

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Woohoo, just got accepted into the part time program at the University of Iowa (not a top 10 school, I know, but it's solidely ranked and work is paying the whole bill other than textbooks). Any evening/weekend MBA students have any words of wisdom for the next few years of my life?

Congrats. Don't pay any attention to the rankings - Tippie is a solid school and you will probably learn a lot for what you want to do.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008
The USNews 2010 full-time rankings were "leaked" today. Although nobody really gives a poo poo about these outside of the would-be private equity aspirants at the BusinessWeek forums and the prestige obsessed weirdos at College Confidential.

Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Penn, MIT, Chicago, Dartmouth, Columbia, Yale, NYU, Duke, Michigan, UCLA, CMU, UVA, Cornell, Texas, Georgetown, UNC, USC, Emory, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Wash U, Ohio State, Washington, Wisconsin.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

Leathal posted:

Any benefits to double majoring in terms of grad school apping? I'm doubled up with Economics & Intl Business, but I'm probably dropping the I. Biz and gettin out a semester earlier with just the Econ.

I think Econ carries itself well. I don't know anything about Int. Business but I think it's generally regarded as a business blow-off major.

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

econdroidbot posted:

If nothing else, posting in this thread has helped me gather my thoughts about the whole process! Any thoughts or criticisms would be much appreciated.

As a Purdue alum, have you considered Indiana-Kelley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propecia
Oct 22, 2008

DocAres posted:

[Typical No-Name Tier]
Local Purdue
Local IU
Loyola

The top tier and light years beyond the others, but is it worth the monetary investment?

Purdue and IU are hardly "no-name" programs.