Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

posh spaz posted:

The business is still going strong. The campground wasn't ever really a drain, it just wasn't, and can't be the kind of cash cow the retail store is.

I went back to school to get the store running better. About halfway through my MBA I completely digitized and streamlined how we did A/P, A/R, inventory, ordering, etc. Basically, I made it so they didn't need me anymore and I could go do more interesting things with my life. They only listened to like 1/4 of my good ideas anyway, so they're still buying stupid poo poo and wasting money, but I'm not there to nag them anymore.

Since the other place folded, by my estimate we've taken about 3/4 of their business. There are really only two other competitors now, one has a way better location and a gov't monopoly (license to run the state park), and one is much more upscale than us. Going after the former would require a bunch of cash to outbid the current guy in like 10 years when it comes up for bids again, and the latter has geographic restrictions on his product lines, and even if we could get them, we'd have to plow a ton of cash into stock to make that happen, and his market is really niche anyway.

Basically, there aren't any more easy growth opportunities. The whole thing is for sale now, together and separate. But it's listed at about twice what I think is reasonable, based on real assets, current cash flow and growth potential. So, needless to say they haven't had much interest, but who knows, they only need to find one sucker. They don't really have any other retirement savings, so I don't blame them for trying to get the most out of it as they can. They can always sell it for what it's worth later, when they get too old to run it.

Do you have PMs? I want to ask a couple questions regarding RV campgrounds, but don't want to put there here if we don't want to keep talking about campgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What are the currently recommended GMAT prep materials. I was looking at around 700 on the practice tests I took a couple years back when i was fresh out of undergrad, but wanted to see if things had changed in the past couple years and what the recommended materials were now.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What level of prep should I do before a campus visit? Is it have my application 100% ready or can I do it as a “I want to apply here next year and am in town for work?” Or something between the two. It is a top 15 program that I would attend full time. Alumni at this school I’ve talked to went a while ago so I wanted to see if you guys had a more recent opinion.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

BV posted:

It will help to go before your application next year. It does at least two things: 1) It signals your interest in the program, and 2) it gives you direct personal experiences, with the program in question, to write about in your application. Schools really appreciate when you signal interest by making the commitment to show up. It really does separate you from someone who decided to just read their website and write an essay.

edit: do research before you go so you can show why you are interested and use the opportunity to learn more about the student culture and recruiting opportunities. But it is definitely helpful to go before you ever submit an application.

Sounds good, is it a bad thing that the club for my industry appears to be defunct? That means I can re-establish it when I’m there, right? It is in a major city and I’ve met alumni in my industry in that same city, so I’m not super concerned, plus they probably just don’t manage the website.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Telling the passive voice to go to hell was great for my verbal, but I need to do more work on my quant. I lost 40 points from my last practice test on Friday to my actual on Saturday.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nailed writing and integrated reasoning now that my score report showed up. I guess those are two items that I can focus less on in my next round of prep.

Did any of you get the enhanced score report and was it helpful?

I did upper 600s live, but had a significantly higher practice the day before, therefore I have some test learning to do with this one. I wouldn’t attribute it to test anxiety as that has not been a feature in my historical testing, but I have to go hit the books before taking it again.

My self-reported info on mba.com is ancient, looks like my schools will be getting my report where I self-report a projected undergrad graduation in the early 2010s. I wonder if that will affect the marketing mailers that go to my mom’s house (the reported address).

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I took the same break after mine, hitting it again and planning more trips for my campus visits now.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I think my applications are going to get pushed to next year. Not in love with it, but I don’t have my ducks in a row enough to want to pull the trigger this year. Still going to grind on my GMAT this month and plan out my application for the class of 2022.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

JD you’ve got this! Just keep on trucking!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pushing my applications back another year. Gonna be applying at 30, starting at 31 and graduating at 33, but past that probably don’t want to push any further. My job is actually very not-bad, but I just don’t see a j-curve in my future here.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice! Quarantine would be a good time for me to start studying for my GMAT again.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Got anywhere I can read about getting in to and succeeding at top MBA programs (HBS, Sloan) as a working adult mostly on resume?

I have an an engineering MS and a decent resume that I can sell well (engineer @ two prestigious previous employers, currently CEO of a YC startup). I'll prob do meh on the GMAT. I've thought about an MBA for years and I feel like I'm learning a lot of lessons in my startup the hard way where some more formal training in running a company would benefit the company a lot.

I'm curious to know how people expect programs like that to weigh options and whether they'd be in my reach given I already have a masters and a decent amount of experience with a good resume.

Find Subjunctive on these here forums and PM them with your story.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My most recent gmat was better than I expected. I didn’t study enough but I moved up a decent amount. Now I’m not sure if there is marginal utility to getting a better score at this stage vs working on my essay’s/figuring out where I want to apply.

Has anyone hired consultants for admissions?

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 15, 2022

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Where you at? 700+ starts to have diminishing returns.

I didn't use any consultants but I'm a decent writer and put in my own legwork researching what strong applications look like. Also had two friends who are English PhDs to proof read lol.

If you're comfortable writing, googling and reading message boards (you post here so prob, yes you are) then idk how much utility you get from a consultant. Especially if you're not aiming for m7 HSW level competition.

So my score was a 730, I have a couple top 10 programs in the list, but the rest is top 25.

As a further update, I finally left my job of 8.5 years after a 2 month quitting process ending last week so I am also starting my pre-MBA gap year.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 11, 2021

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thanks! I'm taking a gap year starting last week so I'm going to be an interesting story, but I'm applying to a range of schools and left my job on good terms in case everything falls apart on me.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How is everyone else's second round application day/night going?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ranbo das posted:

Got into Booth's part time program with a partial scholarship, looking forward to starting. Mostly just posting so I remember to come back here with real questions.

Also I kinda applied and got in without a real idea of what I want to do with the degree besides "not my current job" so this will be fun.

Congrats! That is a nice program!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Interviewed with a couple schools so far in round 2, I think they went well, but I’m not sure I could tell if they didn’t?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Had interviews with 6 out of the 7 schools I applied to as of this time. Just have to breathe and wait for responses.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Accepted at one, rejected at one and the rest are tbd.

I’m going to business school goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

no youre a liberal posted:

where are you headed

UNC! Very excited to have an extra reason to say “gently caress Duke!”

Just the psychic benefit of Coach K’s pain is already worth my tuition.