Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
This would be a good question for everyone... what are you doing with your MBA now?

What kind of salary are you/your classmates making now? How much debt do you have now?

Did you think it was really tough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
What about the GMAT? I am pretty terrible at those types of tests. What is the best way to prepare?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

KingMorse posted:

stuff

A lot of people don't want to start their own business and It takes a special person to start up a successful company. Most self-made millionaires are workaholics and a lot of people can't/don't want to live like that. These people who make it big probably don't even need a college education.

Also, I don't think the title of the post was meant to be taken literally.

Getting an MBA is probably the best way to get a high paying career where you'll probably be able to make $200k+ a year. That may not be as good as making millions but you're still making more money than 99% of the world population.

On a side note, what do all your multimillion dollar friends do and how did they get there?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
What counts as 'work experience'?

I graduated about a year ago (with a marketing degree) but I haven't really had a 'real, full-time' job. I've done two internships (they were pretty much crappy part-time jobs) and a part-time job on he weekends.

I really want to get into advertising as a copywriter but ad agencies are being hit hard by this economy and they are not hiring any entry level positions.

I feel like MBA programs want someone who has 3-4 years of solid/relevant work experience.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

locdogg posted:

In my opinion, work experience would be any situation where you would display some level of professionalism, competency, and management potential. It doesn't mean you have to have to have years working in an office, per se, but that's the most common. In my case, my experience was working at a consulting firm in an office at a 9-5 type job, however I know some of my classmates were in the military, a few did non-profit stuff (peace corps, etc.), one guy was a pastor, one guy was the manager of a Best Buy, a few others had started their own businesses, and so on. The work experience issue is one that has no real clear answer, and while people may have differing opinions, from what I can tell its primary interest is not so much what you did as how you did it and what it indicates about your future probability of success as a manager.

That is what I was worried about... my first internship was bad. All I did was write crappy articles for the companies website. I hated it and I think it showed. I was totally unmotivated and I shouldn't have ever done it. My next internship was crappy too but I had a positive attitude. The problem was that I didn't have much to do so I spent a lot of time just surfing the web. My third part-time weekend job was at a paintball place. It didn't pay well but I didn't mind working. The boss loved me because I worked hard.

I'm looking to find a 'real' job now so hopefully that first internship won't come back and bite me in the rear end.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
A lot of these baby boomers just lost all their retirement money in the stock market - they'll never retire.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Dattserberg posted:

Does anybody attend USC (South Carolina) or know anything about their International MBA? Is it similar to a degree in Multinational Business (which is nothing special) or does it actually have weight due to the unique nature of the program?

I am not an expert but I hear their IMBA is pretty good. If I get an MBA, their program will be at the top of my list. I think it looks really interesting and I love the strong international aspect.

The only problem is, compared to other upper-tier MBA programs, the USC program isn't really well known/respected (outside the international crowd). But it is a lot easier to get into. I believe it has about a 50% acceptance rate and an average GMAT of 640-650.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Just got back from taking the GMATs and I had a couple questions to throw out there.

Overall I did rather well (Quant 44, Verbal 42, overall 710), but didn't score quite as I'd expected. In the two formal practice tests from MBA.com I got a 730 (48/41) and a 710 (48/40), so I'd been anticipating to do better on the math. However, my undergrad degree is in Aerospace Engineering, so I should hope I'd be able to convince any committee that my quantative skills are up to snuff. I don't feel a need to retake it unless someone can convince me it's a good enough idea to spend $250.

Both Chicago Booth and Northwestern are about a 4 hour drive away. My GMAT score, plus undergrad GPA, and having a graduate degree in engineering I would think would make me fairly competitive for either of their weekend programs. Baring that the University of Iowa's Tippie school, which is ranked in tier two by Business Week, is right next door.

Do any goons have insight on whether it would be worth subjecting myself to 8 hours of driving each weekend for 2 1/2 years in order to get the MBA from Northwestern or Chicago (assuming I get accepted) as opposed to the mid ranked closer school? My career goals aren't to go into finance or Wall street or anything, I'd like to stay in engineering with the goal for the MBA to put myself in a position to move up to the executive level.
I am no expert but going to the U of Iowa might be your best bet. It is still a good school so it isn't like you are going to Podunk U. Also, all that driving is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Northwestern and Chicago are great schools so I don't blame you for wanting to go there. But for your career goals, it might be better to save money and driving time by going to Iowa.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Does anyone know much about the University of South Carolina's IMBA program? Their IMBA program is supposedly ranked one or two but overall their program isn't ranked very highly (like not even top 30) - this is a little concerning.

Anyways, the international aspect program looks really interesting. I really like how you can pretty much spend 1.5 of the 2 years abroad, get a good 3 solid months (or more) of intensive language study and get set up with an international internship.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Whelp, I just ordered my Manhattan GMAT study books. I am really rusty so I am going to take 3-4 months of daily study to hopefully score a respectable score.

I suck so hard on tests like this...

Any suggestions?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Do MBA programs give scholarships? For some reason I always assumed that they didn't give away much money.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
on the GMAT:
Step 1: Buy the "The Official Guide for GMAT Review" by the Graduate Management Admission Council. Get the 11th edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GMAT-Review-11th/dp/B002BWQ4JG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1265728448&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Step Two:
http://www.khanacademy.org/gmat.jsp

Go there. This guy has a Harvard MBA. He works through every math problem in the book above and then he posts everything on youtube. I thought it was nice to see how he worked every problem and he really explains all his steps.

You'll still want to get your standard Princeton Review type book to learn some strategies and for extra practice.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Carfax Report posted:

As AreWeDrunkYet noted, the usual path is busting your chops for a couple years in finance or consulting. If you're interested in business, Law School is probably not the right path.

If you're interested in the MBA but don't want to work in finance or consulting, I highly recommend getting international business experience. At least at my school, it was a pretty significant thing to the admissions department.

how do people get international experience? No foreign companies want to hire Americans and I could never find any US companies willing to send new hires overseas.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Psylux posted:

I used a few different references. Princeton Review and Kaplan were poor prep books when I took the test (over 2 years ago). The official gmat review guide is really helpful for test questions and an absolute buy. For any problem section buy the corresponding Manhattan GMAT Prep book. Manhattan provides the best strategies and great online practice tests. The only more accurate online practice test is the official online one.

FYI you should be able to download a version of the offical gmat review guide and paper practice tests on the internet. Look around.

http://www.khanacademy.org/gmat - this goes along with the official math guide (I'm not sure if he uses the current edition though).

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

E:
On a final note, I am not going there for my MBA. I am going there for a MSc in Luxury Brand Management.

Can you talk more about the application process? I've been looking at some similar programs.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

Are there any people here working here in Europe? I'm an American and I applied and got into a business program here in France. I am actually finishing it quite soon and have to do an internship before I officially finish. The internship is usually your foot in the door with a job but I am really starting to wonder where I want to live and where there is a lot of career opportunity.

I study marketing, I am not big on marketing research but I find marketing pretty interesting. I am really torn about going back to America, staying in France or maybe moving to another European country (I did live in Berlin for a year for an exchange year during my junior year of undergrad). Anyone with some insight on this?

The school I am in actually a quite a good school, its top 10 in France and top 30 in all of Europe accredited here and in the US, so I can be pretty flexible..

How did you like your MBA experience in France? I'm also an American and I've been working in Paris for almost 6 months now. I've been toying with the idea of going back to school and I'd like to continue working/living in Paris (or internationally).

Did you find it difficult to get in and what was your/your classmate's backgrounds?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
So I'm putting my feelers out there for an MBA but I'm not sure if I have what it takes.

My undergrad is in marketing (3.4 gpa, probably about a 3.7 in my major) from a generic state school. I was in the AmeriCorps (the "domestic" PeaceCorps) for 14 months, then I worked in an advertising agency for about 10-11 months as a copywriter (I wrote print/radio/online advertisements).

My wife had to move to Paris for her MA so I've been working in Paris for about 6 months now in a small vacation apartment rental company. My contract is good until July and then I might be able to extend until Jan 2013 (although I don't know if I will stay past late July '12). My boss is getting ready to move out of Paris so I'll pretty much be in charge of the day-to-day operation of the company.

I don't think I've done anything super special but I guess I do have "international" experience. I'd like to continue living in Paris (or in Europe). I've looked into a few MBA programs in Paris but they seem pretty prestigious and they are expensive. I'm also totally open to doing a program in the US.

I guess my question is if I have a decent chance of getting into a good MBA program or should I continue working and look into an MBA in a few more years?

EDIT: When I say "good MBA program", I'm not talking about Harvard, Wharton, etc tier. I'm more talking about a solid program that is respectable.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 21, 2012

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

sok2bametalhead posted:

Chicago Booth class of 2012 checking in. I'm wrapping up my penultimate quarter in the Full-Time program. If people have questions, I might be in a good position to respond. I can speak to coursework, summer internships, the application process, and general observations about the backgrounds of my colleagues (it sounds like there are a lot of "what background do I need?" questions).

I'd like to know what kind of background your classmates (and yourself) have—everything from the mundane to the super impressive/unusual.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Macnigore posted:

Euromed is not considered a top B-school in France.

People below the top 3 hardly have any chance to work in marketing for top companies where the marketing department is really important (like Loreal/LVMH/Dior etc). A good friend of mine who attended Essec joined Dior's graduate program last year and told me it was extremely competitive.

Go on linkedin and check the profiles of people who work in the marketing departments of those companies you'll have a hard time finding someone who's not out of HEC/Essec/ESCP Science Po Paris and maybe EM/Edhec but that's it really.

Do you think getting into one of these top French MBA programs is just as hard as getting into a top US MBA? What kind of background does your friend (and his classmates) have?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Maybe this has been asked but are schools usually understanding about not getting a letter of recommendation from a current employer? I'd just rather not inform my boss that I'm wanting to go back to school. The bad part is that my current job will be the longest job that I've had... we are just a two-person company so I can't ask anyone else to do it.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

zmcnulty posted:

Are you quitting your job? If so you'll eventually have to tell him/her anyway.

My situation is a little complicated. I'm an American and I currently work in Paris. My work visa is tied to this company so if I lost this job I would't have the right to work in France anymore (my wife also work here so I'd rather not have to go back to the US). I'm the only employee and my boss lives in the south of France. I'm the one who does the day-to-day stuff in the city so if I left she would have to find someone to replace me ASAP. Additionally, I have to renew my visa at the start of the year (which is a paperwork nightmare in France) so she probably would not want to go through the hassle (and cost) of doing all that if she through I would be leaving the company.

I'm looking at MBA programs in/near Paris so if I don't get accepted then I'd probably keep working and continue looking for a new job.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 20, 2012

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm thinking about applying for an MBA in France. I don't think I have a shot at a top-tier program so I'm thinking about applying at some "no-name" schools. I know most people here say that an MBA isn't worth it unless it is from a top rated school but there are a few fairly inexpensive programs here (under $20,000) so I won't go into a ton of debt.

Background:
I'm an American currently living in Paris with my wife (also American). She has a job here and they are taking about extending it for a year or so. If I was enrolled in a program it would allow me to stay in France (and work part-time if I wanted). I've also been thinking about going back to school for a while anyways so this isn't just a way for me to stay here.

We might want to stay in Europe for a while but I'm sure we'll go back to the US. I'm worried that an MBA from an unknown French school won't be worth much in the US—but maybe it will be worth as much as an no-name MBA from the US.

Any advice or thoughts about this plan?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

I just posted but I will answer you directly. Some countries do things a bit differently. I went to France for my masters but I did not do a MBA.

I did a 4 years bachelors at the University California and then I moved to France. Because of my experience working and my 4 year bachelors, I was able to enter the M2 program. In France, business students generally go to school for 5 years, they will:

-3 Years bachelors (Includes 1 semester of internship and 1 semester abroad)
-Masters 1 (M1) General Business
-Masters 2 (M2) Specialized focus (Between these 2 years you do another internship and/or study abroad).
-Then they work for a few years and go do their MBA at school again.

I was able to jump in M2 and I finished up quick. The degree holds a lot of prestige in Europe and it's semi-recognizable to some people in the US. In Europe, I was getting some job offers but ran into problems due to immigration and I ended not being able to take them which really sucked. In the US, I got a job at an international marketing firm and I asked the HR lady why and she said I had a masters from an international school.

I really liked it, I can apply to positions with a masters degree now that is recognized everywhere and I paid almost nothing for it. Furthermore, living in France is extremely cheap so you can save money and work on the side while you study. I have some friends that are in top tier business schools and are taking out huge loans. Of course, I would have wanted to go to Harvard but I wanted to go abroad. I would definitely do it again.

Here is a way to get a work visa for 3-18 months in France — assuming you can get a French company to give you a job. It is super easy (I did it and I don't even speak French) and the French-American Chamber of Commerce takes care of most of the paperwork. I think it only costs the employer around 150€.
http://www.faccnyc.org/icdp-j-1-visas/american-trainees-in-france/

Obviously this isn't a permeant solution but if you're at a company for 18 months maybe they'll be more inclined to hire you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Any wannabe ballers looking for GMAT books? I'm selling my full set of Manhattan GMAT books (3rd edition) and the set of three official GMAT books (11th edition).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543789