Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

I work for a very small consulting company - a good employee for us is someone who requires no direction to accomplish research tasks, writes well, can organize presentations and reports (we don't have an established style guideline (probably need to), people are supposed to just know how to make acceptable, consistent looking graphs/tables). There is also a need to be able to do math, understand basic finance principles, understand technical topics, etc. and an existing knowledge of the field is extremely helpful.

We're looking for an entry-level researcher and have been getting a lot of resumes from people with MBAs. Problem is - I don't really get what an MBA teaches you. Their job histories include a lot of buzzwords and references to 'identifying new market strategies' and 'identifying work process inefficiencies' which, while certainly important to someone, doesn't seem to jive with our needs.

I'm not ragging on MBAs, but help me understand how to evaluate them:

Does an MBA require math courses? Programming courses (even just excel macros)?
When you get an MBA do you focus on a particular industry? How do you define the limits of your studies?
Are there any basic science requirements?
Do MBA students complete a lot of research projects?
Do MBA programs have color/space theory classes? How is report/presentation design taught?

When someone studies English, History, Biology, Animal Sciences, etc. I can guess what their interests are, what their expertise is. When I think MBA, all I've got is 'business' in my mind, which isn't very descriptive. What is an MBA graduate interested in?

Or are MBA students more likely to just buckshot the job market with their resume than other graduates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU