Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
I would like to know what the value of Penn State Erie's MBA program is. It's AACSB accredited, but not exactly soaring on the rankings. Trying to swing into investment management (not the super competitive wall-street jobs, the smaller shops). Am I wasting my time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

propecia posted:

Is instate tuition a consideration?

Yes. I also qualify for semester's worth of exemption credits.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

unterdude posted:

This doesn't pertain necessarily to MBA's but it is related close enough. I would like to pursue studies in Quantitative Trading, but I am a freshman majoring in Finance right now. Would picking up a minor in Math give me a good enough background to apply for school in Masters in Quantitative Finance? I know this field traditionally only accepts Math, Physics, and Statistics majors.

Recommending you don't waste your time unless you'll be coming out of one of the top 10 programs.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
How accurate are the practice tests on the CD they send out? I just did a 620.

Unrelated note: Anyone else scholarship shopping? Know any good sites?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Took it today, got a 610. Scored 620 and 660 on the practice tests. I'm not sure if the practice tests use the adaptive structure, but it seemed a lot more apparent when I was taking the exam.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This seems as good a place as any to mention it - did anyone else take a CFA exam today? And how meaningful is the designation (no time like after an exam to ask that question)?
I did. I feel it's about as meaningful as any other professional designation. It says nothing about your ability to do your job (your experience says that), but it does help you meet a few HR policies.

edit: to quote who I'm talking to

LactoseO.D.'d fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 7, 2009

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
I scheduled, but I'm less worried about classes and more worried about getting extracurricular experiences that will differentiate me from all the other MBAs out there.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

dvs112 posted:

I got an email from school this week, regarding our orientation next week (they included a link to a business case that they want to discuss at orientation).

What's the best play at orientation? Meet as many people as possible? Is it normal to exchange business cards or get linked in contact info, etc? Should I try to meet faculty?

Ha, I thought getting a pre-orientation assignment was a bit strange, I guess not. I can't say I have any networking goals going in. My 'play' was just going to be to show up, get a parking permit, and have a few conversations. I assume I'll get my classmates contact info during the group projects in our classes we'll inevitably be assigned, and I also already know some of the faculty so... yeah that's where I'm coming from.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Agent Escalus posted:

I'd be interested if you or anybody else could elaborate on that last part. Doesn't an MBA grad apply for jobs in the same manner as anybody else? (i.e. if there are personal connections a meeting can be arranged; if there aren't any and the job is posted on an online board or whatever, then they just fill out the boxes like a regular applicant?)

I think the poster means that ideally someone you know hooks you up with a job instead of you having to scour job openings. You just casually let it slip you need a job to some of your buddies and you start getting calls later that week.

My experience is similar to yours. Even if you have personal contacts you still have to fill out all the crap to go through HR. And looking for opportunities on job postings is definitely not 'wrong' or somehow beneath someone with an MBA.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
The scores stay viable for 5 years, so whatever point over between now and school that you see yourself able to maximize your score/put in the most time to study. Most people recommend just taking it out of school so nothing will be rusty, but if you feasibly have a couple hours each week to prep for the next couple years, there's no need to rush.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Partying hard... in the computer lab... with a lot of spreadsheets ...and multiple regressions to find cost equations... wooo party :geno:

Actually, I really enjoy any statistical analysis or excel work. Not doing anything exceptional networking other than talking to a few people interested in going in to the same field I am.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Anyone else getting hung out to dry by campus career services for summer internships? If anyone knows of specific MBA-summer-intern job boards, that'd be a massive help right now.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

anonexpedient posted:

I have always wondered about this. I mean, I know the term 'business major' is often used as a derogatory some places, and of course an MBA and whatever subsequent career path that follows it won't carry as much prestige as many other things that very smart people can do, but I thought his humility about it all seemed over the top and I never understood it. So I guess my question is, is this common? Any insight into why he might feel this way?

Complete guess: It didn't get him what he thought it would?

I can't say his attitude is characteristic, after listening to their professors wax eloquent about the program, most MBA students come out of school with un-natural swagger.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
I'd like some opinions here.

I'm thinking of putting my school rank on my resume, but I'm worried it might be a bit tacky.

My circumstances are that I am at a top 100 school (US News), relatively new program, not super well known. I was at least going to put on that it was AACSB accredited. What are the thoughts about listing the rank?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Orgasmo posted:

Now that semester (#2) has ended, I want to celebrate by passing out on pre-ban Four Lokos. While I surprisingly enjoyed the course material, the time requirement and self-teaching demands of a fully-online program are brutal. 2 hours a night only after doing mandatory dad poo poo around the house, eating/preparing dinner and entertaining the kid until bedtime. And I've got another who will be born before I graduate. I ran a regression analysis on my time spent in the program and consumption of alcoholic beverages and expect to be a raging alcoholic by the 7th semester.

Please attach the sensitivity analysis report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Orgasmo posted:

We never got that far but I'm going to put my foot down before I analyze the analysis of the analysis. anal sis

It's actually only appropriate if you are running an optimization. You should run one! You can minimize your sobriety and put in a constraint for the maximum hangover you are comfortable enduring.

Or you could just have a four loko bon voyage party. That's the boat I am in. Its a popular boat.