Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

YankeeAirPirate posted:

I don't really disagree with any of this. A lot of my point boils down to the last sentence, though- there's no way to tell the difference between an online and a "real" degree from the many business schools that offer completely online MBAs. It's the same degree on the same diploma, etc etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just feel like either the difference is not as great as you guys seem to imagine, or there's a sea change coming in the way things work.

When any ranked, or even locally respected, Business school starts offering a fully online degree then you might have a point. But that isn't happening and I don't see that happening any time in the forseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Have you read any of this thread other than the current page?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I know that Thunderbird is a respectable program, but I still giggle a little every time I hear it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Part time MBAs are cash cows for universities. Do well on your GMAT and you're almost assured of getting in. At worst they might let you in conditionally based on how you do in your first semester.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

I've been told they can charge out the wazoo (and they know it) for part-time/executive MBAs, since generally some company is picking up the tab.

That said, a lot of them still seem really selective even in this economy. :(

At my school the full tuition for part time MBA's is around $30k for the program, and for executive MBAs it is like double. But the actual cost to the university is a fraction of that. Since around half the people of any given class are from my company, the place I work is basically paying $30K-$100K per class just by itself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blinkman987 posted:

Do graduate schools consider the company one works for? If I were to work for a company with a lot of prestige and name recognition and I'm working in the business side of the company, would that assist me in getting into the school?

I'm currently recognizing that while I like what I do now (online content management, community management, developing marketing campaigns and programs), there isn't really a path up that doesn't ask for an MBA and I'll need one within the next 5 or 6 years to progress. And while "business" doesn't interest in me at all and I don't have an entrepreneurial bone in my body, the future seems like it's either making more money and being slightly unhappy/neutral while enjoying more potential opportunity for advancement or making less money and being unhappy because I'll be a 50-year-old marketing manager and as soon as I inevitably get laid-off, no one will hire me because I've been in the same spot for 20 years.

Sometimes an MBA is a checkmark you need to move up. Sounds like you might be in that position. Is there a reputable school in the area that offers a weekend/evening MBA you could pursue? That might be your best bet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

Where can I find old GMATs to take for practice? I just started studying last week and want to take it in early January, but I want to take a practice one first to see where I'm at. I'm studying using the Manhattan Review set of books.

Also, is an early January GMAT date early enough for Round 3 of Fall 2012? I decided to apply to b-school a bit late so Round 3 is the earliest I could apply given the fact that I still need to take my GMAT.

You can get two practice tests off the GMAT website that will follow the exact format of the actual test.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Fair warning, though -- these are not adaptive.

They aren't? I didn't know that. My scores on those were within a few points of my actual score so I assumed they were.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rrail posted:

It's looking like a state school for undergrad is going to be the way I go - I dragged my feet (kind of) on applications for undergrad. While I'm sure I will walk out undergrad with a near 4.0 GPA, what I'm wondering is, if I crush the GMAT, will I have a shot at a top 10 program?

For reference I have been working in intelligence for the last 7+ years, 2 of which will have been working for private companies. I can put down some pretty impressive to read stuff on a resume, like supporting Sec. State Hillary Clinton, the US Ambassador to Iraq, etc. Nothing business related, however.

I guess what I'm asking is how bad a State School is going to cripple me in my chances of getting into a Top 10 program without corporate experience in between?

State schools vary greatly. What state school are you talking about?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rrail posted:

I'm getting everything together to apply to quite a few of them (as a transfer), amongst them is Michigan-Ann Arbor, Washington, Virginia, UT-Austin, North Carolina, etc. My understanding is that, given my background, I should have little trouble getting into just about any state school. I am all new to this school thing though, please excuse me if I come off as ignorant.

Just that there isn't a strict State School = horrible, Private School = awesome divide. To take an example from your list there - Michigan, Texas, and North Carolina are all great schools to get your MBA from. Michigan in particular is one of the top business schools out there, public or private.

And for undergrad the point still holds. Lots of public, state institutions are highly regarded. Nobody is going to throw away a resume because someone got their degree from a school like Michigan or other highly ranked public school. What are you planning on majoring in?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 22, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Start my last semester tonight. Capstone class during the semester than an international trip in April to close things out. Feels good man.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

oye como va posted:

Congrats! I've got two more quarters and a study abroad trip left as well. Where you guys going? We're going to Buenos Aires and Rio.

Frankfurt and Munich. They went to Buenes Aires this winter but I wasn't able to make it work with my schedule. I heard nothing but good things from the people who did though go. I guess I finally get to try out some of that German I learned in High School over a decade ago.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

19 o'clock posted:

Sorry for the bump, but I am still curious. How are others in this thread funding their MBA? I am looking at this route, too, and was wondering if maybe I should do something different? I still have undergrad debt remaining and am reticent to put any more on top of it. How do others feel about it?

Letting my company pay for it. And keeping my undergrad loans in deferment the whole time while I'm at it. It's going to be sad having to actually start paying them back this summer. But I got five years of free money and two masters degrees out of the deal.

And because I've learned about the time value of money, I can rationalize that not paying back my undergrad loans that are in deferment and will only be at like 3% interest once I graduate isn't being lazy or irresponsible... it's just allowing me to use someone else's money to pay for booze all these years.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 13, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Help me please!

I'm an undergraduate student at SFSU without a strong background in anything, really. In fact, i'm pretty mediocre. I'm a mediocre student. I'm a business major and trying to turn things around. I was excited when I visited my schools open house until I actually read this thread and realized its an unranked program. I definitely drank the kool-aid with the OMG AACSB only 25% of schools...uhh sure if you count DeVry I guess but every University in the State is AACSB...so I'm..looking at HAAS. I've been reading stuff like this article and figure that if I...volunteer in a business capacity, do some research for a professor, keep working retail, and pull off a 3.5 counting my last 60 units only, maybe I can get to 700 on the GMAT and have a shot at HAAS if I write/interview well.

MBA's weigh in?

edit: less goons goons goons

Initial advice: Don't write your admission essays like this. At all. Also, it doesn't sound like getting an MBA right away is what you need to do. You aren't going to gain any benefit from an MBA from any school that'll let you in with a non great GPA and no work experience.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewski posted:

Also I talked to the Brandman counselor again and it turns out that Brandman is probably one of the most military-friendly institutions having campuses on several military bases and growing. That alleviates my concern that it's some kind of degree mill. And since it's a non-profit, I don't think they're out to suck up VA benefits.

Having lots of classes on bases and expanding in that market makes it sound exactly like a degree mill designed around soaking up VA benefits and military tuition reimbursement.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just finished up my last class! I graduate on Friday and officially become a baller. It was a part time program and I hurtled through it in two years so it is going to be awesome to have a social life again now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Agesilaus posted:

It seems a tad low class to me

What's low class about being a baller?

Seriously though, I have never been exposed to that particular critisism before so am intruiged. Can you elaborate?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tyro posted:

Ballers, ballers everywhere, and not a drop to drink (because the graduating MBAs DRANK IT ALL, holy poo poo)

Seriously though, this would be a lot nicer if I were among the ~50% of my graduating class with job offers

drat. Percentages like that sure make me glad I did a part time program and never quit my job. What industry are you wanting to get into?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

What are some good GMAT books that have questions from older GMAT exams? I have gone through the Manhattan set of GMAT review books and they are great, but the questions are purely to help test the math, and I want to practice answering questions as they appear on the GMAT. Preferably books with tougher questions for test-takers that desire to score above 700.

Go to the GMAT website and download the practice tests. Those are actual old questions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I'm hitting the two year point for my first job and I'm considering going back for an mba because I basically want to be the boss and I'm good at/enjoy school.

I'm in IT, currently I'm a business systems analyst but I'm very interested in moving into project management as my next step. I know you don't need an mba to do that but i think at some point I'm going to need that advanced degree.

I'm just wondering if I'd be better served going for the mba now or just looking for pm type positions now and putting the mba for later.

Are you thinking about stopping work and going full time, or a part time program while working?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
None of my friends who have jumped ship during or after taking classes was actually forced to pony up the cash, but your mileage might vary on that.

If you want to change industries or otherwise hugely alter your career path then go full time for sure. If you want to move up in your current career path you might consider just sucking it up and working there while studying and that extra year, especially since it sounds like tuition reimbursement is part of your compensation. Because if you quit and go full time you'll not only be losing your salary, but also having to pay the tuition, and losing 2-3 years of work experience.

Note: This also depends on what options are available for part time. If all of the schools within commuting distance are degree mills then that would change your options.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Its Miller Time posted:

I've been working for one of the major entertainment and media, especially in movies, valuation and advisory companies in LA for the past six months. It's made me consider careers in these areas. What are some of the major ways MBA graduates get involved in the movie industry and e&m world in general, and what are some schools with good programs in this? I was hoping to go to a better program than UCLA but obviously I bet they'd be strong in this.

If you want to get into a specific industry in a specific region don't worry about overall school rankings. Instead research where all the people in that industry that are MBAs are attending/went to. Apply there so you can network with those people and get into their alumni network.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That depends on a lot. Is english your native language? Are you good at math/logic? What kind of score do you consider acceptable? All that matters.

As a native english speaker with an engineering background, I probably studied for around 20 hours total. Took the first practice test from the GMAT website, brushed up on the weak points, and took the second practice test. But I was just shooting for a part time program at a state university. So there wasn't exactly a lot of pressure involved.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

I have a question for MBA goons... I am startingq work for a major defense contractor in a couple months. I think an MBA might help my career progression.

My dilemma is that I can get an MBA from a state school for 100% free ( although I already have a BA and an MS (non-business) from this school). Or I can get an MBA from an expensive top 50 school that is in my new town.

Is a pseudo name brand MBA worth the money (50k) over a FREE state school MBA?

Will work pay for the expensive school if you wait a year or two?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I would wait a year to see which one your employer values more. 45-65 probably isn't going to offer you much, if any, more name recognition than state school.

Also, are you sure that your employer won't pay the full price of the better school? I work in the defense industry and most employers in the industry have a set amount they will pay per year. So you might have to stretch it out over an extra year or two, but you probably could still get it totally covered. I've never seen anything along the lines of "We will pay a lifetime max of $XXXX". It's always just "$XXXX per year"

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 6, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

Yeah it is a fixed amount per year. The issue is that the expensive evening school I am looking at is a structured kind of thing. There are no semesters per se, but it starts on one day and 15 months later you finish. So it is not like I could stretch it out as far as I know.

That sounds like an Executive MBA program. Do they not offer an evening MBA as well?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

I am referring to the evening MBA. Am I incorrect in thinking it is a structured thing that cannot be spread out for company tuition purposes? Obviously best thing I could do would be get my job to pay for expensive school.

Different schools do it differently so it is very possible that you are understanding them perfectly correctly. But when I hear 15 month program I think a cohort, taking at least a few Fridays off a month, and maybe even an international trip involved. All marks of an Executive MBA program.

When I hear part time or evening MBA I think giving up one or two weeknights (or Saturdays) a week for 2-5 years while working full time.

Somebody can correct me if I'm off on this, but that was my experience when I was searching for schools and getting my part time MBA.

Your average MBA is around 15 classes or so. And a 3 credit class requires 40 hours of contact time. So to get it done in 15 months you'd need to average 40 hours every single month of class time, and that doesn't even touch on homework and projects.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious: can anyone answer how big of a factor going to name school vs not as well known school is? I've narrowed my MBA currently between Temple and Scranton, obviously one is more well known than the other, but the programs seem similar.

Are you looking to check a box or switch careers? Because if you just need to check a box the name doesn't matter. If you are looking for a career switch the name is everything.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you don't have a preference I'd probably default to ASU just so you have a little variety. Plus you probably already know a lot of the professors at U of A, so it would open up your network more to switch it up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pissingintowind posted:

To be honest, after reading through this thread, I've found it kind of strange that there seems to be some decent encouragement from the goon hive-mind for people seeking a non-top MBA. I've found that goons tend to give decent advice in BFC, but this is one area where I definitely disagree.

From what I've seen in industry, an MBA that's outside of the top 20 full time programs isn't worth the paper that it's printed on. Personally, I think that beyond the top 10 or 15, ROI starts to become very questionable. If you're looking at something ranked below there, it's probably better to NOT have an MBA at all because at least then you retain the option to get a top MBA later on.

Not everybody is looking to switch careers or get into Wall Street, consulting, or the like. A lot of people just want to advance their current careers or take advantage of employer reimbursement. Or don't have the GMAT/experience to be competitive at one of those schools but still want to learn what comes with an MBA. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might chose to get an MBA at a non first tier school.

Going $100k into debt to get an MBA is a bad idea

Letting your employer pay your way while you go part time to State U when you have no desire to go into high power finance? That's a great idea.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 12, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pissingintowind posted:

All I'm saying is that your time isn't free. A part time program will have you attending class in your time off from work, which is arguably more valuable. Oh and if someone offers your a Harvard MBA in exchange for $100K of debt, you'd be an idiot not to do it :)

You're right, I meant going into $100k of debt for a non top tier MBA. Doing it to go to Harvard would certainly be worthwhile.

However, I still disagree with your overall point. I think you are looking at this as if an MBA was purely about a certain career path. As if it were the same as getting a degree in engineering, or medicine. But that is only the case for people who want to go into Wall Street or consulting. If that is someone's career goal then I totally agree. For that path then you need to get an MBA from an elite school.

But for a lot of people an MBA isn't about that. For everybody else a respected, but not elite, school is totally fine. Especially if you are just going part time. Because for them the tradeoff isn't average MBA vs. elite MBA. The tradeoff is average MBA vs. no MBA. And in that trade average MBA wins every time.

quote:

edit: So to be clear, I'd consider a part time program as having a similar non-tuition opportunity cost as a full time program (or higher, if you consider your free time to be worth more). The only way an employer can reimburse you for that is if they're actually PAYING you to get that MBA on top of tuition reimbursement.

That's only if you consider what you learn from the classes to have no value.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Omgbees posted:

Has anyone had any experience with a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree?

It is being touted as the professional option for a Doctorate degree based off the MBA, rather than the academic focus of a PhD

What's the point of it? Like, what would a DBA do for you that an MBA doesn't? Wouldn't a real doctorate in a focus area make more sense?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My main thought on that is that an MBA is very much a generalist degree. Its about learning enough about all the parts of running a business that you can succeed at it. Its about being a mile wide and an inch deep. A doctorate is the opposite. Its about being a total expert in one small thing. Its about being an inch wide and a mile deep.

I can't even think what somebody getting a DBA would study.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Had you studied at all before the first one? Especially with the math there is lots of simple stuff that you wouldn't get if you haven't done it since high school. But a few hours of studying brings it right back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What's your long term goal careerwise? Do you plan on staying in your current area in terms of geography and career path? If you don't get this MBA, do you ever see yourself getting one from a better school sometime in the future?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Experiment posted:

Has anyone taken any classes that were based overseas? In my MBA program, looks like I'll have the opportunity to go to countries like Argentina and Germany for a class. However it is only two weeks in length. Just wondering if anyone has partaken in those kinds of classes.

I did. It owned. Two weeks in Germany for a class on "International Business". Basically an excuse to go drink a lot in a foreign country with 8AM meetings every day to prevent you from going to overboard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Graduate in December with my MBA from Wayne State, got a job at one of the big 3.

Congrats man! Truly ballin'.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

Any thoughts on the importance of the "Prestige of an online MBA? I work for a fortune 500 company and don't really intend to leave, but want an MBA for career progression. I already have an M.S. in statistics and experience as a rated officer in the Air National Guard.
Any advice?

If you're planning on staying with the company then the MBA is as much about networking as anything else. I'd just go to the highest rated local school that offers a part time/evening MBA program. That way you'll be taking classes with other people from your company and the area.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

is a part time mba while working a job that might feature 3-5 days a week of travel basically impossible/soul crushing?

Is it local travel where you'll be in your own bed at night? Or leaving the area?

Similarly, is it every week or just 1-2 weeks a month?

I did my part time MBA while traveling 1-2 weeks a month. I had to stay on top of things and adjust my travel schedule somewhat but it was workable. One thing that helped was I avoid Tuesday or Wednesday night classes as much as possible. It is much easier to work a travel schedule around not traveling on Monday and/or being home for Thursday evening than it is to make it to midweek classes on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What does MSOL stand for?