Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
Graduated from Chicago GSB in 2007 if anyone has questions about that particular school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

jsb posted:

Hows your first year out been? To what extent do you credit the school for this?

This about sums up what you get from an elite MBA

60% network
20& name of school on your resume
20% knowledge gained from study

I fear I may have top ticked the market in terms of MBA comp coming out of school. Wall St will be a mess for years to come and MBA salaries are going to plummet from that that lack of demand now. On the flipside, I can see MBA attendance SOARING as people will try to get out of the way for 2yrs and hopefully come back to a steadier market

To answer your question, I credit my school for the 80% that matters (and that's not the knowledge, believe me. You learn how to do a job on the job)

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Just got back from taking the GMATs and I had a couple questions to throw out there.

Overall I did rather well (Quant 44, Verbal 42, overall 710), but didn't score quite as I'd expected. In the two formal practice tests from MBA.com I got a 730 (48/41) and a 710 (48/40), so I'd been anticipating to do better on the math. However, my undergrad degree is in Aerospace Engineering, so I should hope I'd be able to convince any committee that my quantative skills are up to snuff. I don't feel a need to retake it unless someone can convince me it's a good enough idea to spend $250.

Both Chicago Booth and Northwestern are about a 4 hour drive away. My GMAT score, plus undergrad GPA, and having a graduate degree in engineering I would think would make me fairly competitive for either of their weekend programs. Baring that the University of Iowa's Tippie school, which is ranked in tier two by Business Week, is right next door.

Do any goons have insight on whether it would be worth subjecting myself to 8 hours of driving each weekend for 2 1/2 years in order to get the MBA from Northwestern or Chicago (assuming I get accepted) as opposed to the mid ranked closer school? My career goals aren't to go into finance or Wall street or anything, I'd like to stay in engineering with the goal for the MBA to put myself in a position to move up to the executive level.

I went to Chicago. IF you can get into Kellogg or the GSB (gently caress Booth) you should do anything possible to attend one or the other.