Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm finishing up year two (my last year, yay I think) of a full time MBA (in a part time program) and pretty much picked my concentration from the get-go. Like locdogg said, there's usually a set of "core" courses that all MBAs have to take regardless of concentration, and from there it fans out into specific areas (Marketing, SCM, Gen Fin, Corp Fin, Entrepreneurship) for electives. There really was no "declaring" a concentration other than just taking the courses in the tracks you were interested in. Our Degrees will state concentrations, but I guess in a way what's important is what goes on the CV. A concentration probably looks a little better if it's in the field of the job you're applying for than just stating a general MBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Modern Life Is War posted:

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm actually not doing that great in the program. Between work, the MBA, and my long commute I only get to see daylight on Saturdays and Sundays. My grades should improve as I move away from calculus and management courses and into the good stuff like international business and financial statement analysis (both of which I do for 50+ hours a week anyway). I don't think anybody goes into those general courses saying 'GODDAMN I LOVE CALCULUS' but it stills feels rough.

It's like that for most of us and our cost accounting core course. It's a requirement, but honestly there's only maybe two people in the class who actually enjoy it and do it for a living.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Modern Life Is War posted:

How's everybody's semester going?

Halfway through my final semester. Destroying the competition in our capstone course (basically a degree-encompassing business simulation), and enjoying my negotiations class. Investments is boring as hell, though, but I need to take it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

*gasps for air* HOLY poo poo!

Week 1 complete. It... was different. The school I'm going to has what's called the "Essentials of Business Leadership" (EBL) module where people get to know one another for the entire month. Basically, it's a series of workshops revolving around team-building and networking for the entire month of August.

Kinda wondering when this ends and when the "real" MBA program begins :shobon:

That sounds like a "real" MBA class to me. Do you think you'll never have to do team building exercises and networking at a real job? When you get in to financial statement analysis and data analysis and supply chain analysis courses, you'll wish you were back doing team building exercises.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Is anyone going to the QS World MBA Tour in NYC tomorrow? I was just asked to attend as an alumnus and never heard of this site/company/event but apparently it's a global thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

BV posted:

From an educational standpoint, an MBA is about teaching you a sufficient amount of technical knowledge to understand its business and strategic implications so that you can make managerial decisions on resource allocation. If that’s not what you’re after, then save your time and money and do something else.

Basically this. An MBA isn't going to turn you into a quant. It's not a get down in the weeds degree, it's a how to manage the people who get down in the weeds degree. I did a Corporate Finance concentration for my MBA so they made our Fin classes were actually pretty difficult from a calculus standpoint, but the other 90% of my program was more about making strategic decisions using the information given, and how to manage people, not spreadsheets. And wouldn't you know it, most of my cohort were engineers who really couldn't handle the "easy" work (management, negotiations, strategy classes), but had no problems with the finance/accounting spreadsheet work.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 29, 2018