Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Don Wrigley posted:

It makes me wonder if the same type of thing might happen now in the finance industry...

40% of the people in our IT department just got cut (in our office, I can't speak for New York, London, Hong Kong etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Don Wrigley posted:

Thanks for your singular anecdotal evidence.

In all seriousness, with massive job cuts across the board in the entire industry, of course some IT jobs are going to be cut. In fact I wasn't even talking about IT as a whole since I don't really know; I'm talking strictly software developers.

If 40% of your IT department got cut, including software developers, if they are talented people they will have a better chance of finding a new job now than finance people who have been laid off.

Ah my bad. I'm not a software developer, I'm not in my bank's IT department, and I'm not a recruiter or industry analyst. So feel free to ignore my singular anecdotal evidence.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Dattserberg posted:

Does anybody attend USC (South Carolina) or know anything about their International MBA? Is it similar to a degree in Multinational Business (which is nothing special) or does it actually have weight due to the unique nature of the program?

I did my undergrad in IBUS at USC, so I had a lot of the same professors, classes, and had a lot of IMBA friends. I'm sure this is on a website somewhere but basically there are two tracks -- the Global track or you can focus on a specific region. I'm relatively familiar with the Japanese track as I had a lot of friends in it... I imagine the other tracks are similar. Basically you begin with an intensive language course before being whisked off to the country for a year, where you then take classes at a university for six months and do an internship for 6 months. After that you return to USC for another year+ of classes before you graduate.

I have mixed feelings. To me the program seemed a bit over-rated. It's as though the international flavor of the program is designed to give such experience to those who have limited previous experience overseas. In other words, I don't think it really offers a whole lot that a decent study abroad program and some self-paced language study would do. Having a I in front of your MBA doesn't appear to carry any more weight than MBA alone. That said, if you weren't particularly interested in international business before now, it's therefore quite a good option as you can get "caught up" in a pretty short timeframe.

At the same time the professors are quite good. They're all very professional with heaps and heaps of experience in their fields. The classes touch on subjects that most have no experience in, like globalization (race to the bottom etc.), global CSR, import/export, global sourcing, and foreign market entry & growth. I imagine it's par for the course, but the school also arranges some nice social events, speaker series, and of course job fairs.

"International" and "South Carolina" are rarely used in the same sentence. While the business school is very well funded (nearly single-handedly by Darla Moore, who gives money only to the business school and not the rest of USC), the tie-ups it has with big international companies seems quite limited. Since it's South Carolina they're also mostly manufacturing-oriented firms like Sonoco or BMW. USC's undergrad IBUS program is also #1 in some magazine but frankly none of the people who looked at my resume knew that or cared. In other words, you definitely shouldn't expect the South Carolina name to speak for itself like it does with other schools' MBA programs.

If you really want I can probably put you into contact with one of my IMBA alumni friends. He can definitely give you a better overview than I can.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 26, 2008

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess this question is somewhat applicable for this thread, sorry if it's a bit long-winded.

What did everyone give up to do an MBA, and do you feel it was worth it? Not the degree itself, but the fact that you walked away from some job or other opportunity and did the MBA instead. Where would you be if you just said "well I'm pretty happy where I am now, maybe I'll just stay?"

Basically, I'm kind of at a crossroads these days. I joined an investment bank after undergrad, so I make decent money already, and if all goes according to plan, I'll be at "MBA salary" within the next few years without actually getting a MBA. I've done a bit of asking around, and the syndicate doesn't actually pay for MBA programs. Word on the street is that's because people usually use MBAs to switch jobs.

Instead, we have all kinds of management training programs with projects handed down from senior management, modules at universities, and heaps of networking... but not an actual degree. Of course at the end of the program, you're making just as much as a MBA holder would if he/she joined the bank coming out of Stern or Wharton or whatever. It would seem like a waste to pass up that kind of opportunity if it's presented to me. Our CEO was in town yesterday and he said: "If you're not rich when you're as old as me, you did something wrong. Especially if you work in banking." Obviously said in jest, but it was an interesting comment.

That said, I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. Without getting to e/n, I'd eventually like to run my own business, so one day I'll switch into something else.

What do you guys suppose? I enjoy my job now, the company recognizes my abilities, and I certainly appreciate (and spend most of) the compensation they give me. If it's not broke, don't fix it, right? I'm not in any particular rush to get out of this position, yet in the back of my head, I feel like I should be making millions per year rather than thousands. Am I too greedy and full of myself? I'm fully aware of the prospects for success (I did my undergrad in Entrepreneurship, among other things), so no need to link me to gloomy websites.

I realize this is one of those, well only you can answer that dude kind of questions. I would just appreciate any advice from someone who may have "taken the dive" and switched from something already good just to... have a chance at something better. Clearly an MBA isn't cheap enough to obtain one for vanity's sake.

At this point I'm saying no don't do it mostly because I don't have any specific plan of what I want to do or why I need an MBA to accomplish that. Once I can be more specific, it seems like it would be worth revisiting. But in the meantime I'd appreciate any advice.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the issue is that I have no goals or plans at the moment. Throughout undergrad, my big goal was to get a decent entry-level job in Japan, work 3-5 years, then think about an MBA. I'm getting towards the "think about an MBA" stage, but unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to think what comes after that.

I started a website and sold it 2 years later for $40K, so the way I see it, even if I start a business when I'm 40, it won't be too late. For every person who says I have to do it while I'm young as I'll later have obligations preventing me from putting in the hours required, there's another person who says the business know-how, contacts, and financial buffer of being a veteran are indispensible for a successful business.

One of my managers (who has an MBA, consequently) recently ended his 25-year career in banking to focus on his side business: real estate. He already owns 12 properties and was evidently confident enough to walk away from his job. That's the kind of move I wouldn't mind making -- rather than just jumping off the cliff and hoping his parachute worked, he used his spare time to turn secondary income into primary income. Maybe I should start another website...

Carfax Report posted:

Hey zmcnulty, knowing about your particular situation from the times we've spent together, here are my thoughts. As I recall, you're in an investment bank but you're not actually in an analyst position, is that correct? Do you do any modeling work?

Except for that one time I was nominated for "Hottest rear end on 2008 UBS New Grads," no, zero modeling work. I mean we do ops-type modeling like risk modeling, capacity modeling, and so forth, but nothing that actually requires financial knowledge.

I should have been clearer in my earlier post. I am not interested in FO roles at this point; I realize they're more glamorous, but I get the feeling I would burnout before getting to a level (MD) where the rewards vs. my current role outweigh the hours & pressure vs. my current role. Maybe I'm just not well-informed about the breadth of what's available in the FO. Perhaps I should do some more investigation and see if there's something I could aim for.

Jay, you and I can discuss this more when you get here. Getting an MBA or not is one thing, but as you're aware, trying to tie it in a primarily "what's an MBA" country is a different topic that I hadn't planned on addressing in this thread.

Modern Life Is War posted:

I think he meant earning millions from running his own business.

... just to continue putting yourself in the best possible situation and seizing opportunities as they arise. If the MBA is part of that, so be it.

Indeed, that's what I meant. At least I now have enough contacts in finance so I can easily find out how to get my shares listed, who I should takeover, and where I can score some coke.

"Seizing opportunities as they arise" is my motto. Let's be frank though, if she's over 32 years old, she better look young.

flyingfoggy posted:

if you're back office you'll probably need to get an MBA if you want to lateral into another industry/role, but if you enjoy what you do and it pays well then maybe just stick with it (though you may be pigeonholed into it long term).

It seems like a lot of people in your position who don't know what exactly they want to do do consulting post-MBA because it gives them transferrable skills and a broad look into a bunch of different industries and another few years to decide.

I've convinced myself that I would prefer to switch industries before switching into FO. What, specifically, can an MBA be used for in this case? Jay you mentioned modeling skills and networking, is there anything else? I'd like to think I have better networking skills than most people, I mean I organized and executed a 175-person banking BBQ from scratch, but I don't exactly have Fortune 500 CEOs on my speed dial either.

Thanks for the suggestion about consulting. I'm quite interested in seeing how things work (that's why I did SCM in school and why I'm in Ops now), so perhaps consulting would be a good fit out on the other side. At least here in Japan the travel wouldn't be as much of a hassle. One guy in Ops here put in 2 years at Accenture, so he'll be a good resource.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 21, 2010

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Rrail posted:

especially if looking for employment abroad.

I have no MBA so can't speak with much authority, but I do work abroad. I think it really depends on where you want to go. "Harvard" does mean a lot to many overseas/global employers, but in countries where post-graduate degrees are usually only for scientists, doctors, and academics, they may not even know the difference between undergrad and MBA.

In any case I'm going to Harvard MBA's intro session here (in Tokyo) tomorrow night and plan on getting a response to this same point. So I'll report back.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm curious about financing an MBA. My anti-debt mindset is telling me I should work until I can pay cash for a program (maybe 2 years left) then apply because, well, going into debt sucks if you can afford to pay cash. However, my swaps side is telling me if I can earn decent returns on what I have, it should negate the interest associated with the debt.

What kind of interest rates are common for student loans? I earned enough to pay my tuition (lowered thanks to scholarships) in undergrad so I never really had to deal with this kind of thing. I am assuming I won't qualify for any MBA scholarships at all since I'm a non-poor white male.

For those of you on loans, if you don't mind, can you share the details? What the rates are, schedules, etc.? Obviously some schools are more expensive than others, but I'm shooting for $120K before I take the plunge, is this a good target?

edit: and my employer won't pay for anything, we have a constant influx of MBA holders anyway

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I don't really know anything about Thunderbird, but I did my undergrad in international business. As a concentration, it seems overrated. I know it sounds thrilling with class names like "Cross-cultural Negotiation" and "Globalization in the 21st Century" but classes like that don't really help you get a job.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

http://www.businessweek.com/business-schools/what-ever-happened-to-the-top-mbas-of-1991-08312011.html

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

flyingfoggy posted:

Here's a interesting series of articles from an admissions consultant judging how likely people are to get into certain programs. You might be able to get a better picture after reading through these.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/06/23/handicapping-your-shot-at-a-top-school/

Thanks for the link, gives me a lot to think about...

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Are you quitting your job? If so you'll eventually have to tell him/her anyway.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Don't know if it means much to you but I work in finance in Tokyo and HKUST is one of our target schools for MBA hires. We don't have any target MBA schools in Japan itself. Not that we're hiring anyone...
If you do a campus visit or something let me know, HKUST or INSEAD are probably the only Asian MBA programs that I am considering. I'm guessing the $400K average starting salary is HKD.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Because I'm business director of this company, dealing with JDs and PhDs, I'd feel better about my name with MBA at the back of it :ohdear:

Most MBAs I know don't actually include MBA in their title. You sure about this?