Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper
This is an unusual question, but what are post MBA prospects like for people wanting to work 40 hour weeks (in investments no less)?

I'm currently working in asset management clocking 40 hours a week. If I don't gently caress up I'll earn my CFA charter in another 2.5 years. I have absolutely no desire to ever work much more than 40 hours a week, regardless of how much potential pay/jobs/promotions I give up. It seems like this will limit me to small RIAs or wealth management companies/bank departments.

Given my constraints, it doesn't seem like the extra money I'd make with an MBA would justify the costs to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

KingMorse posted:

rich people

You also have to remember there is a huge survivorship bias when you look at all these rich people and see that they all started their own businesses. It's akin to observing a lot of rich people won their money in the lottery, then concluding the lottery is a good way to get rich.

What you should be asking is: what would happen if you took 1000 people that just got accepted to business School, then made 500 drop out and go become entrepreneurs, and the other 500 continue on to get their MBA/post MBA job. Which group would have the higher (median, not mean) success?

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper
Does anyone know if a good GMAT score usually factors into a "merit" based scholarship? I have a high GPA from a no name school and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending more study time to boost my GMAT up. On practice tests I'm scoring 0-30 points above my target schools' median, but my math score sucks so I think I could boost my score another 20-30 points with a lot of effort.

I'm more concerned with getting tuition knocked off than for entrance purposes, since from what I hear an above threshold GMAT score doesn't add anything to your application.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

Admirable Gusto posted:

My view is that when you get your MBA you should seek to trade up from your undergraduate degree and/or existing work experience....Also i've learned that your undergrad institution and GPA will dog you for a surprisingly long time (at least in finance)

Gusto that's basically what's motivating me to pursue an mba. Graduated cum laude but from a no name school, and I work for a no name investment management firm. I have my CFA exams done but it doesn't seem like enough to get into a brand name firm or remove the shackles of a weak school from my professional bio.

I have a good gpa, 730 gmat, CFA, but the competition is so intense for the top programs now I'm not sure how much chance I have. It seems like having good "stats" is just a minimum requirement nowadays and without some kind of interesting story you won't get in.

I'm hoping to get into a top 10 school, work for a little bit at a top firm/pay loans off, then have the freedom to do whatever I want. I also think having a good school & firm brand name would be extremely helpful when trying to convince others to trust me with their money if I ever opened my own firm.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

madkapitolist posted:

Edit: Also how do you guys feel about University of San Francisco's MBA program? Im going to graduate in June with a BA in econ and I am looking at their "career advantage" program which is geared towards people with little work experience or those who had just graduated.

Don't do it. You will waste 2 years and tons of money going to a less than stellar mba program. Once you get out with no work experience, you will have extreme difficulty finding a job. You will still only be qualified for entry level jobs at entry level pay. And you will have shot your wad, unable to do an MBA program at the traditional time where it might actually boost your pay enough to be worth it.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper
Depends. I didn't find level one difficult but I spent a lot of time studying it, actually to the point of overkill. Scored +70% on everything but econ. Just because you were a finance major doesn't mean you will remember all the dupont ratios, bootstrapping yields, etc... You can definitely skip a lot of quant and basic accounting. Tough to say overall because I felt like I way overstudied for it, and knew I passed half way through the test, while most people who take it fail.

Level II is a beast and I barely passed, although I wasn't as thorough in my studying for that level. There were a lot of things I didn't know how to calculate. I think if you know how to do everything that comes up in the end of chapter and in text examples, you will pass if you are reasonably intelligent.

Level III was only hard on the essay portion because of time constraints. I had to rush the entire time, couldn't proof anything and finished with 3 minutes left. Multiple choice part was easy. Overall passed by a comfortable margin but I didn't blow it out of the water like level I. I made sure to know how to do every quantitative problem that could possibly come up on the test when I was doing my review.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper
You can take an official practice test (which I found to be very close to the actual test) to see how close your score is. From there you can decide if you actually need to study or not.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

Elucidarius posted:

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry yeah it's an MA in French and an MBA. You're right I do have to be accepted in both departments. I only actually need the GMAT or GRE though. However, my school was from from a good school. It is pretty mediocre, though it's in the process of changing. I got rejected from almost every French MA I applied to (OSU, Berkeley, UT- Austin). So applying to Boston College feels a little daunting to me. I'm not a horrible student by any means, in fact I was probably one of the top students in my French department. It's just that I took 2 years to realize that and messed up bad. I did get into Middlebury and University of North Texas but the Boston College + working up and saving for a year or more sounds so much better.

Not sure what your specific interest in French is, but there are some good MBA programs in France (HEC Paris, EDHEC, INSEAD) where you could get your MBA (will still be taught in English) and enroll in a masters at the same or another nearby university.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

Mövenpick posted:

If you only had 3 years work experience it's easy to see why these schools were not interested. Also, USC will be a huge waste of money for you, don't go there. Option 2 sounds like the best choice by quite a wide margin.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

The Pretty Zombie posted:

I've been considering applying for the Master of Science in Global Management at Thunderbird. The MBA program at Thunderbird has been the #1 International MBA for several years running, but I haven't been able to find too much about their MS. Despite this, they have a program where people who graduate their Master's programs can, upon obtaining work experience, have credits transferred to the MBA. With that boost, three years of school gets you both a Master's and a separate MBA. I don't qualify for an MBA right now, but I think the MS by itself might help propel me into the business world.

As it stands, I don't have the credentials to break into it on my own. I graduate with a BA in International Relations from a crappy (but fully accredited) online college with about a 3.5 GPA next month, and my work experience is 4 years military (enlisted, not officer, big difference), I'm fluent in Arabic, and I have a TS security clearance (Edit: And I don't have a penis. Apparently that's helpful?). I've been doing school for the past year full-time since leaving the military, but with the BA nearly over I'm now a $14/hr desk guard. . . whoopee.

The MS is supposed to be a program for people with no business experience; is it a good option to take, then get a few years of work experience, and then finish up the last year of MBA credits?

Honestly I would strongly suggest looking at what kind of money and job placement you get from the MS and MBA at that school vs the cost. A lot of these non-top Masters/MBA programs are just huge ripoffs relative to the benefits you get. And generally it seems when people get a 1 year masters right out of undergrad, they still end up in entry level positions at basically the same pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

Blinkman987 posted:

Do graduate schools consider the company one works for? If I were to work for a company with a lot of prestige and name recognition and I'm working in the business side of the company, would that assist me in getting into the school?

Yes, the company you work for is an important factor.