Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...
So I've decided that getting my MBA/MHRM is the way to go. A couple questions, and if people have answers that'd be sweet:

1) When it came to tests while getting my BBA, I was really good at essay based exams, and TERRIBLE and specific memory tests (things like multiple choice questions). Basically, if I can explain myself, I kick rear end. Is this orientation going to help or hinder me on the GMAT?
2) Right now I'm planning on registering to write the GMAT mid-late April or early May at the latest, does this sound reasonable time to commit to preparing for it?
3) The program I'd ideally like to get into is a two semester program. 1 in class, and 1 internship/research paper semester. Typically, how intense are the in class segments?
4) This one is really just for Canadians, I got my undergrad degree from U of Regina, and I'd like to get into either York or Ryerson, which are 3-4x the cost of going to the Kenneth Levene (on the U of R campus), is it worth the extra investment for the name on the paper? I know it's big in the US, but do Bay Street employers care as much as Wallstreet employers?
5) Also for Canadians, did you find more emphasis was placed on character assessments (interviews, resumes) or scores (undergrad grades and GMAT scores)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Dan, there's a reason why we get emails calling you Le Bafart, Le Baturd, Le Bajerk...
Writing the GMAT today. I scored between 630-650 on practice tests pretty consistently (outside of one I did last night while also watching hockey when I plunked an awesome 520, I may not have been paying full attention).

I write in exactly...9 hours (well, 8 hours and 58 minutes), and it occurs to me I have no idea what I'm going to do to kill the time. I plan on hitting the gym before, but other than that I got nothin' planned. I don't test stress at all, so I got no concerns over that, figure I'll grab a Red Bull about 90 minutes before, but I got a whole lot of time to kill.

What did you guys do the day of the test to prep?

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

SiDeath posted:

Honestly, I rolled out of bed, cleaned up a bit, and went to the test center and got a 680. I think it's likely different for everyone, but seeing as I wasn't 100% sure of where to go to take my test, I needed a little extra time to get there and get situated.

Yeah, I've never been to the testing centre, but I called on Monday and found out what room it's in and I can't imagine it's particularly difficult to find. I imagine I'll be there about an hour before I write to make sure everything goes smoothly signing in and getting them the ID they need.

I know they take a photo of you when you sign in, but does it actually matter if you look like crap? Do they attach it when they send out your score to schools?

MikeyKins
May 9, 2004

Y'all forgot to tell me to load a shotgun that I can swallow after my mediocrity was confirmed.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drink myself to sleep.