Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I've been thinking about grad school, but am more interested in Finance than general management. I'm planning on getting a CPA, but fall a few hours short of qualifying to sit for it, so I was thinking of augmenting my education with another degree. In lieu of an MBA, I've been considering a Masters in Finance and also attaining my level 1 CFA. Has anyone had good experiences with Masters in Finance programs? Or know of any good risk-management programs? I'd really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

ultrafilter posted:

If you're interested in general finance, why are you looking at a CPA? And if you want to get a CPA, why aren't you looking at accounting programs?

I have most of the accounting knowledge I need already, having covered everything my undergrad education had through Tax Accounting but I don't want primarily to be a Tax Professional. I know there are many facets to accounting, but I want to attain a CPA as a way to make myself more competitive in the job market.

Additionally, if I can't find anything, I have been offered my mom's accounting practice to take over in time, so having a CPA would be crucial. If I went that route, I'd additionally like to be able to offer a wider range of consulting options, given that she has a large population of high net worth clients. They do estate planning and such already, so by achieving an additional charter/certification I could offer more services. I suppose it all depends really. I'm too inexperienced to make a definitive decision and probably too young to know any better. I'm already out of school and am in a long-term internship, but I'd like to be able to put together a plan with contingencies.

Oh and I meant that I want to get a degree in addition to qualifying to sit for the CPA, which I'm currently less than a semester's worth of classes short of. I figure I might as well go crazy.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

MikeyKins posted:

Writing the GMAT today. I scored between 630-650 on practice tests pretty consistently (outside of one I did last night while also watching hockey when I plunked an awesome 520, I may not have been paying full attention).

I write in exactly...9 hours (well, 8 hours and 58 minutes), and it occurs to me I have no idea what I'm going to do to kill the time. I plan on hitting the gym before, but other than that I got nothin' planned. I don't test stress at all, so I got no concerns over that, figure I'll grab a Red Bull about 90 minutes before, but I got a whole lot of time to kill.

What did you guys do the day of the test to prep?

Honestly, I rolled out of bed, cleaned up a bit, and went to the test center and got a 680. I think it's likely different for everyone, but seeing as I wasn't 100% sure of where to go to take my test, I needed a little extra time to get there and get situated.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

MikeyKins posted:

Yeah, I've never been to the testing centre, but I called on Monday and found out what room it's in and I can't imagine it's particularly difficult to find. I imagine I'll be there about an hour before I write to make sure everything goes smoothly signing in and getting them the ID they need.

I know they take a photo of you when you sign in, but does it actually matter if you look like crap? Do they attach it when they send out your score to schools?

No, as far as I know they use the picture solely for identification purposes. You also should get finger-printed. If you're worried about the photo, I dressed up a little bit for my exam and you could consider it as well, but most of the other people there were dressed professionally. There were nurses taking exams, engineers, and other white collar professionals, generally easy to spot by what they were wearing. I doubt anyone really cares what you look like except for you. In the event that you have a very small testing center, they'll probably remember you anyway and you'll see your picture when you take it and when you sign out.

The security for these tests is nuts but I'm glad they do it (so far as I can gather) uniformly, because it makes me more secure that my score has genuine value.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

MikeyKins posted:

Y'all forgot to tell me to load a shotgun that I can swallow after my mediocrity was confirmed.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drink myself to sleep.

I thought it would be safe to say that the test is hard. WAY HARD. I know I'm going to retake it soon, maybe you'd be well-served to do so as well, especially if you're unhappy with your score.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

While not specifically MBA related, I'm looking at pursuing a joint Masters in Accounting and Finance at different schools, if not a sole Masters in Finance. I have incredible penis envy about some of these programs and I daresay I feel like I might as well not even apply to some of them. The pool is so small for MS in Finance and it shrinks further if I want to pursue an accounting degree as well. Thinking about doing a school in the New York area because I want to be placed in a trading environment, but who knows what will happen now?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

econdroidbot posted:

As a side note, what do people think about Rice? It's now my new target for next year.

Rice is an up and coming type program that has a strong science and engineering alumni base. I don't have the school rankings in front of me, but usually people regard the school as a whole well. I don't really know what their MBA gets accolades-wise, but the stuff I receive on them is usually very positive. It certainly beats OU.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Basically did I screw myself by not going to the best of schools?

Not necessarily. People here recognize that there are good schools in Europe and the rest of the world, especially if they work in admissions. If you did well and score highly on the GMAT, you shouldn't really have a lot of trouble to get in to a good school. Just be mindful of where you want to work and what you want to do, then pursue the schools that offer you the most opportunities to get into that position. If you want to work on Wall Street, go to a school that sends lots of its graduates there, regardless of how highly it scores in the WSJ. Be very discerning right now, because everyone is trying to get in to school right now.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Just applied to the MBA program at UVic last week, GMAT in about 2 weeks :whoop:

I have a question about the Executive MBA: what is it? Can someone please elaborate?

A part-time program for working professionals.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

No additional benefits over a regular MBA or anything?

Might cost less, but will definitely take two or three times as long. Most of your classes would be at night and on weekends. No tangible post-graduation benefits that I can think of.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Stryguy posted:

Another question; How the hell do you finance these top MBAs? My employer doesn't care about me getting an MBA (remember-- R&D). So I would work here, get some professional experience, then do a full time MBA and pursue a management position somewhere. Are there lots of scholarships, fellowships etc. available? It'd be tough to muster 70+ thousand to pay for a 1-2 year program. And I'd prefer not to plunge myself that far into debt, but I suppose if I have to then I have to.

Thanks for the help, it's very informative.

Possibly impossible to answer -- based on what I have told you, are there a couple schools you might recommend for certain reasons?

I can tell you, based on my personal experience, I am going to attend LSU's Masters in Finance program, beginning in the next three weeks and going through the loan process was pretty easy. The Government guarantee loans are really great and offer phenomenal protection as a debtor, plus you can qualify for a Grad PLUS loan if you have good credit. They're private loans designed to help you out with whatever extra your current loan won't cover.

As far as recommending schools, if you want to be the CEO of Kellogs, you might do well to attend a program that many of their executives went to. You should be able to find bios on their website or in an investor's info packet. If you want to work for Kellogs and move up the ladder, try going to a program near their headquarters or major facilities. It's likely that they've already hired some of those guys and they might be able to get you in the door.

Basically, if you are trying to work for a local or regional company, go to a program near them. They'll be familiar with your school and the kinds of students there. It's basically the same no matter what. Want to work in New York? Go to one of the big boys or a NYC school. The big boys are only different in the sense that they will carry you a little bit farther. The question is whether you want or need that push to get where you want to go.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Mongolian Squid posted:

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but I just want to re-iterate it, what are the biggest differences between Engineering Management and an MBA? Is EM more focused on technical aspects and less on finance, accounting, and business?

Are engineering undergrads and people with experience in engineering that desire to go into higher management positions better off getting an EM degree or an MBA?

For what it's worth, it sounds like most of the people in this thread are business oriented, so I don't know that we have any EM people in here. Have you tried asking counselors at the schools you're interested in what their different programs offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

The Rising Suun posted:

Can anyone be more specific about the problems with the Princeton Review GMAT material? I've ordered the Manhattan books, but I've decided to dive into PR until they get here. Taking it December 19. I ask because I used a PR book for the GRE and the practice tests pretty much predicted my actual score.

I've only got one MBA app - Oregon. It's all because of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center. I'm applying to a couple master's in marketing/research that also require the GMAT.

I used Princeton Review sparingly and got a 680. Some of the tools were useful and I personally have no real complaints.