Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

CFA is a lot cheaper than an MBA and a solid qualification. I worked at a hedge fund for a while, there were no MBA's but 2/3rds of the staff had CFA's. I work for a large financial organisation now (not in finance) and the only qualifications people seem to bother listing is CFA.

I did a G.Dip in Applied Finance for the same reason as you, so if you have an undergrad degree see if you can find something like that. It's been totally worth it for me.

The full CFA is a lot of effort though. You might want to aim just for level 1 and that will do you.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

also more MBA related: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article5821706.ece

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I am in Australia and AGSM is the only place I would consider doing an MBA. I would still probably rather go to the US to do one, but if I were to base myself in Sydney long term I'm probably better off staying local.

I live in Sydney so I'm not sure about the Melbourne one. Sydney is really the business capital of Australia now, with the exception of a few local banks and some media companies. Melbourne is a nicer place to live on the whole though, depending on what you're into.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Did you try for US programs? Are you Australian? I went for a mini-tour with the admissions officer but didn't get to chat with any Americans doing their MBA at AGSM.

Yes I am Australian. No I haven't tried for any programs as it doesn't make sense for me at this time. MBA's aren't particularly well regarded in Australia, there's an element of "so what." Partly because they're are so many mediocre local offerings and Australian management as a whole is pretty average.

If I were to bother with the time and expense of doing an MBA it would have to be from a brand name institution, which typically means an American or maybe one or two European ones.

A lot of the value of an MBA seems to come from the people you meet and contacts you build up on the course, so if I were planning on staying in Australia, doing one overseas doesn't really make a lot of sense. Any network I built would be on the other side of the world.

The only one I would bother with in Australia is from AGSM. I read the financial press here daily and it seems to be the best regarded and it does have some interesting lecturers. It's as good as you're going to get in Australia, but not as impressive as say Harvard.

At the end of the day, companies that want MBA's are going to be looking at the label when they buy. The name of the institution you get it from is very important, at least as important as the course content, with few exceptions. Institutions with good reputations usually have them for a reason, and if you're going to the trouble of getting one you might as well get a good one.

To the other person who was asking when to get an MBA, I would say the best time would be when you need one. If you want to go into investment banking where an MBA is par for the course, go do one straight out of uni. If you've been given some management responsibility at work (ideally both people and budgetary) then go get one.

Don't go get one straight after your undergrad (with exception above), and don't go get one thinking it will boost your salary. It may, but unless you want to start looking for management roles straight after finishing you're a bit of an employment mismatch.

I interviewed a guy for a systems administration role who had an MBA. Yes he was good but he was very expensive and you don't need an MBA to check logs, apply patches and trouble shoot server issues.

Having an MBA when you have no need for it looks really silly. Don't get it too early or you may end up wasting it. Think long about where you want to be two years after completion and if that is realistic.

By realistic are you really a junior person trying to queue jump into middle management. Any company that puts an MBA with no experience in a management role just cause they have an MBA is likely not a company you really want to be working for.

There are exceptions for certain industries and blah blah blah, this is just how I see it.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 29, 2009

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

saw this today, a spiel on management consulting http://baselinescenario.com/2009/08/14/management-consulting-for-humanities-ph-d-s/

quote:

...it’s not what you learn at business school that matters, it’s the screening function. Top business schools screen for the attributes that certain types of companies, including consulting firms and investment banks, value – above-average intelligence, ambition, presentability, ability to get along with others, willingness to follow orders, and a strong streak of conformism.