Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
MBA Student chiming in.

KingMorse posted:

So I reread my post from last night and I did sound pretty negative. My apologies, extraneous education is kind of a soapbox of mine.

To resummarize my comments: MBAs have value and probably improve peoples' lives, but they shouldn't be mistaken as the sole qualification or route to success. Hopefully that is a little more fair than my words from last night.

To answer your question about my 'friends' (I hope I was clear, some I know well and would consider friends, but others are mere acquaintances), most of them have made their money in real estate and/or construction. As a proportion, I would say 80% or so. The others own other types of businesses. As an aside, the part of the country I'm from doesn't have a lot of 'old money' or people who got it through inheritance. The vast majority of successful folks around here are self-made.

I would agree that it isn't a requirement for success, but it's pretty drat helpful. You can be successful without it, but it will give you a leg up on the competition when it comes to job hunting. Also, depending on the job/company, it's pretty much expected. I know for my job, I've gotten to the point where everyone above me has an MBA, so I know if I want to progress, I need one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU