Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm pretty much set on getting an MBA at some point, but want to get work experience first because from what I've been told speaking with others an MBA without work experience is worthless. If I wanted to increase my chances of getting into business school, is the school/GPA you graduated from as important as the work experience you had? My GPA is good, but my school isn't in the US so I'm a bit worried as to how credible they'll find it as I want to do my MBA there. I'm not worried about the GMATs either, I think I can do well on those, and as for recommendations and getting into a good company I can handle that.

Basically did I screw myself by not going to the best of schools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for those answers, very reassuring. I live in the Middle East so when companies are recruiting from within the country they often don't have MBAs yet, having one would put me in a really good position since they'd rather hire me than find an MBA from the US or England to hire.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there a thread for CFA questions or can I ask here? I'm taking Level 1 in June and was wondering about people's experiences, suggestions, etc

Fiesty Francis posted:

I've completed the 3 levels of the CFA. I didn't find the program that difficult, but I studied my rear end off for it. Given the relatively low pass rates, it seems most people underestimate the effort required.

If you enjoyed your math background, you might also look in to becoming an actuary.
I assumed the same for the low pass rates, but the "study my rear end off" worries me because I work full time and don't really have all that much free time to study. I heard level 1 is not overly difficult if you were a finance major as it's repeated material, is that true?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That's reassuring, I definitely will study for it but after hearing loads of (unprepared, mostly) people I know fail it And then hearing how much there was to study I was beginning to panic. Level 2 I would definitely start studying far in advance for - I haven't even completed a year of employment yet so I'm in no rush to take it as soon as possible, I know you can't get the actual certification without enough work experience.