Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
I'm taking my GMAT in two months and hoping to have a decent score to submit applications this fall. I really want to go to Kellog due to being local and obviously highly prestigious.

If I don't get the GMAT score for Kellog, then I'm not sure where I'll go. I might go out-of-state since the company I work for has offices throughout the US (Florida/Cali) and these Chicago winters are really starting to piss me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
Well, I just took the GMAT and hosed up. I scored a 510 :unsmith:

The last 2 practice exams I scored 610 and 630 so I thought I'd at least score a 600 or mid-high 500's as the worst case scenario. I wasn't looking at any top B schools but my score barely makes me competitive for the second-tier schools.

The dean of one of the schools I am going to apply to told me to email her my score when I took the test to figure out if I should retake it. I'll see what she says before I make any decision.

gently caress.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
3.0 from a top 25 school. So no, not a great GPA.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
Grades won't matter if you can do very well on the GMAT and gain work experience.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
Is it necessary to work while getting a MBA? I would rather focus on school, volunteer, and intern than keep my current job.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005

Tyro posted:

So yeah are there any other first year MBA students in this thread? I am getting a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of reading, assignments (sorry I mean "deliverables"), case studies, club meetings, employer info sessions, etc. In a good way, it's not that I don't think I can handle it, but I basically have no free time at all. I expected as much going into it but it's still hard to adjust to.

I'm doing okay so far but I'm in a part-time program. However, working 45 hour weeks and going to school is going to be a bitch.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

You guys, I'm at a big impasse and need some advice.

Here is a little background. I am a young guy (2 years workforce experience), work for my family company, and have the blessing that I can pay for my MBA on my own. I go to a decent (not great) school and feel highly unfulfilled. The thing is, they waived some of my classes and I only have a little over a year left in the program, this school also gives me the ability (Jesuit MBA transfer agreement) to transfer (if I'm accepted) to other, slightly better schools in major cities across the U.S. in case I get a job or internship anywhere including Loyola Chicago, Boston College, Fordham in NYC, and the lesser Duquesne in Pittsburgh.

The thing is, I've been having trouble landing good internships and I think it MAY be because of my school... I think I may be able to get into a much better program at OSU or Case Western, but I'm not sure if I want to put down that I go to my current school since obviously no credits will transfer and I believe it might reflect poorly on my perceived "vision" or planning for my life, which to be honest, isn't as clear as it could be.

Should I put down that I attended the mediocre school I go to now when I apply to better programs? Or would that reflect poorly on me?

Should I even go to a better program or continue to tough it out here and consider transferring to one of the slightly better schools I mentioned?

Edit: Also, does anyone know anything about the Duke Cross-Continent program? That looks like something that would be right up my alley with flexibility but is a little on the expensive side. My cousin is an executive at a large liquor company in NYC and did it and loved it, but does it carry the same weight as other Duke programs i.e. do you get the same degree?

Thanks guys, I look forward to any help.

I'm actually attending one of the Jesuit schools that you mentioned and also thought about transferring to a different school if the opportunity presented itself. Since you've already started your program, I would see it as a waste of time if you started all over but would definitely keep transferring to a different school idea in mind. I think the thing holding you back may be your limited work experience, which sadly, you can't really do anything about but continuing working.

Have you tried networking through your school (alumni) or using them as a resource to find an internship?

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
So I just finished my first year of b-school at a part-time/executive program. Yay :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Start my last semester tonight. Capstone class during the semester than an international trip in April to close things out. Feels good man.

Congrats! I've got two more quarters and a study abroad trip left as well. Where you guys going? We're going to Buenos Aires and Rio.