Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I have a quick question -- my situation pretty much dictates that I can either get an online master's degree in the next few years, or wait until I'm ready to switch careers (roughly 10 or so years from now) and then go to school full-time for the MBA.

The MBA doesn't impact my current career field at all...it's for a career change later on down the road, so I'm wondering if I should jump into it ASAP, or wait until I can do the school fulltime. Basically I'm asking if it's worth it to wait. If it matters, I'm interested in focusing on economics and government (I'm not sure if that is necessarily qualifies as an MBA or an MPA, but I figured I'd post in this thread anywway).

Any insights are appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

ion posted:

:words:

Actually, when he said "BCS schools", I knew exactly what he was talking about as far as school quality. But hey, your approval is what matters.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

ion posted:

That's probably because you're American?
Imagine that, two Americans in America on an American internet forum talking about getting a degree in America from American schools using American sports references that Americans know, in order to get a point across.

I mean, what are the odds of that happening, seriously.

edit: on second thought I'm done feeding this blatant trolling, thanks for the help loc

Rekinom fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 27, 2008

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Okay, I made a cameo earlier in the thread, and I actually did end up taking the advice given to me. Rather than getting an online MBA from a degree mill, I'm going to shoot for the brick and mortar place as a backup. But since I'm making a conscious decision to -not- get one until then, I have a few more questions;

I had a 2.9 GPA in a social science degree at a BCS school known more for sports than academics. However, the thing I'm picking up, and like about business school is that the more work experience you have, the less your GPA matters.

So, assuming I have 12 years of work experience in a job with tons of leadership and responsibility, keep taking the GMAT over and over until I get a 700+, could I actually parlay that into getting into one of the top programs in the country? Also, I'm an "underrepresented minority" if that helps.

Second question-- what is the workload like for a full-time MBA? I mean, am I putting in 12 hours a day in the classroom as if it were a full time job? Or is it like undergrad where you show up to class and do whatever, then study the rest at home (except for group projects/presentations obviously).