Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
How long do people generally study for the GMAT? I've heard LSAT studying is on average probably around ~3 months... I figure GMAT was ~1 correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll

extra innings lovin posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier (looking thru thread now) but when's a good time to take the GMATs? Right after college, or does it not really matter? I'd like to do them right around graduation (next June) as my school offers prep courses, is that a decent plan?

Best time to take them in my opinion is right after college. In my case I graduated this past May and had 3 months before work started. Spent 1 month in Europe and 6 weeks cramming for the GMATs. I took the test today and did pretty well, and I'm really relieved I don't have to study for the GMAT in the future (studying sucks though, especially data sufficiency...etc)

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
I applied to HBS/Stanford/Wharton last year only to get dinged outright by HBS and waitlisted at Stanford & Wharton. I'm in the process of reapplying this year and I hate my life right now. Advice to future applicants: Spend more time the first go-around and get it loving right, because reappplying absolutely sucks.

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll

Oliax posted:

Indeed that was the policy at Wharton (and Harvard, Stanford & Kellogg also, possibly others) while I was there. Note though that the policy only applied to your grades at Wharton MBA, employers were free to ask about your undergrad grades, GMAT, academic awards, etc. However, most would rely on their own recruiting processes to identify who they liked (and vice versa). Also, at Wharton getting an interview wasn't particularly difficult. Even if you weren't on a company's initial selection list, you could usually finangle your way on by networking with a former employee in your class or chatting with their on-campus recruiting team. (Some schools had an "open slot bidding system" for a certain portion of interview slots. Wharton only used bidding for classes, never seemed necessary for interviews.)

I'm applying to Wharton and am interested in hearing your thoughts on the cultural. Obviously it's an extraordinary school, but I've from several people there is some weird HBS/Stanford complex going on there, since many of the students are also applicants to the other two, and Wharton is typically considered a little behind the HBS/Stanford in the HSW classification. Interested in learning if this is true or not, and your own personal thoughts on this...

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
I graduated in May 2009 and took my test in August 2009 after 4 intense weeks of studying (I got a 760, granted I started my diagnostic at a 720...).

If you are positive you are going to school within 5 years then I would absolutely take it now. I've heard from a lot of friends bitching about studying for the test while working. However make sure you apply to bschool with at least a extra year to spare in case you don't end up getting in anywhere (that happened once to me when I only applied to 2 schools), so you can reapply the next year.