Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This seems as good a place as any to mention it - did anyone else take a CFA exam today? And how meaningful is the designation (no time like after an exam to ask that question)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Agent Escalus posted:

I'd be interested if you or anybody else could elaborate on that last part. Doesn't an MBA grad apply for jobs in the same manner as anybody else? (i.e. if there are personal connections a meeting can be arranged; if there aren't any and the job is posted on an online board or whatever, then they just fill out the boxes like a regular applicant?)

Quite a few jobs (I've heard 80%, but that's probably a number someone pulled out of their rear end) are never actually listed or advertised. If a company has a job opening, someone recommending someone they know (whether from school, a previous job, or wherever else) is worth more than a good resume to an employer as far as screening goes, and is probably enough to get an interview. If the person is a good match, the employer never has to bother with listing the job and slogging through resumes.

e: Misread what you said slightly. The idea is an MBA program will let you meet people who are in positions to give you that kind of recommendation. Most of the people you meet and get to know are going to be in positions where they can have some influence over hiring decisions after graduating (and often even before).

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 18, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

So since going straight from undergrad to an MBA is out, what are some other paths I can take if I am interested in business? I've thought about going to Law school but I'm still not positive about that.

Business how exactly? Finance? The "typical" career path for that is a couple years at a bank or consulting, then the MBA, then whatever you're interested in. Most non-specialty finance firms hire undergrads, so get your foot in the door somewhere, then make the decision on more school once you're there.

Law school isn't necessarily a bad thing, but three years working will probably get you further and you'll be out a lot of money in the process. Stay away unless your heart is set on it for whatever reason.