Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There's a good chance no one has played it , but anything for Wanted:Dead?

Like how am i supposed to not take damage from all the ranged enemies for instance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bone emulator posted:

There's a good chance no one has played it , but anything for Wanted:Dead?

Like how am i supposed to not take damage from all the ranged enemies for instance?

Take cover and shoot them? You dont need to avoid damage just kill the enemy before they kill you.

Alternatively just run up to them and slice them up. You recover a bit of health when you do execution moves

On default difficulty ranged enemies do not deal a lot of dmg and they die very quickly.

Make sure to buy upgrades from the skill tree.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 1, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One tip to add to the Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City page, to the top block instead of under "party member advice".

One of the late game Sea Quest bosses is Leviathan, and defeating it for the first time gives you the Limit skill called Lucky Hammer. Defeating an enemy with this end-of-turn physical attack gives you all its items, even the ones that are normally conditional drops. The attack's power can be boosted (by Gladiator's Charge for example) and it also triggers twice by the Arbalist's Double Action passive.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown? Like particular skills or upgrades to beeline?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

In case anyone is interested, I get emails from people with tips to add to the wiki—and who I assume aren't on this forum—maybe once a week.

Also some people who just want to say thank you. The anonymous email I added to the home page was a good idea.

In terms of statistics, over the last year the wiki has had ~20,000 unique visitors a month.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ahobday posted:

In case anyone is interested, I get emails from people with tips to add to the wiki—and who I assume aren't on this forum—maybe once a week.

Also some people who just want to say thank you. The anonymous email I added to the home page was a good idea.

In terms of statistics, over the last year the wiki has had ~20,000 unique visitors a month.

its a seriously useful resource! we here probably take it for granted but games can be looong. having access to a spoiler free place that specifically only tells you how to get a good start without spoiling poo poo or referring to a step by step nightmare is honestly gaming gold. and goons are a lot of bad things lol but theyve always been good at games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Anything for Metal Gear Acid 1 or Metal Gear Acid 2?

When building a deck your eventual goal is synergy. You want interchangeable ammo/weapons so that you dont really ever have dead hands. A mildly worse two weapons that work with each other is way better than two non-interchangeable guns.

You'll probably need to rework your deck for boss fights, especially in MGA2 due to equipment needs, but building a general deck for everything else is very doable, and frankly, certain rare cards can obviate any need to change.

You can import 1 card from your collection in MGA 1 to MGA 2, so choose wisely.

The Fortune card is completely, 100% broken. It is so astonishingly broken that even if you import it to MGA2 where the cards effect was cut in half, it is still by far the best card in the game. Once you have it you are effectively impossible to ever kill in combat again.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 14, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's become standard practice for me to checl the wiki when I start a new game, or at least shortly after I started it and I come across a choice where it's not immediately obvious that I can't gently caress myself over.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Taeke posted:

It's become standard practice for me to check the wiki when I start a new game, or at least shortly after I started it and I come across a choice where it's not immediately obvious that I can't gently caress myself over.

Same. It's a huge convenience to have a few warnings or bits of advice without having a bucket of spoilers/minutiae dumped on me the moment I search something.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I try to link to the wiki in other threads when I can and people tend to be pleasantly surprised that such a thing exists.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also cool to have this info just there in a context that isn't content mill and/or AI penned SEO.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom lately and I finished the four regional problems, so now I'm about to do the next step in the story but first I just want to chill for a bit, explore the world, do sidequests and shrines and poo poo. So occasionally there's something I can figure out for myself but it'll be a drag or I can just google it, so I do. Like I'll find a point of interest and after a bit it's not clear to me how to interact with it, so I google whether there's a solution I have to figure out or if it's gated behind the story at a later point. Or I'll google what materials I need for a particular upgrade and/or where to find those (like Gibdo wings.)

Often I get an obvious AI text that's structured and worded weirdly.

[Paragraph explaining the difference between upgrading and fusing]
[Paragraph on how fusing works in general]
[Paragraph on why would want to fuse items]
[Paragraph on what you can use material X to upgrade]
[Paragraph on the fuse effect on weapons]
[Paragraph on the fuse effect on arrows]
[Paragraph on how upgrading works in general]
[Paragraph on why you would want to upgrade]
[Paragraph on the usefulness of the armor sets you can upgrade using this material]
[Paragraph on how to cook in general]
[Paragraph on the usefulness of cooking]
[Paragraph on using this material in cooking]
[Paragraph on what enemies drop the material]
[Paragraph on where to find those enemies, but only vaguely, like Gerudo Desert] <- This is the actual information I'm looking for and it's not even loving useful.

All worded weirdly and inefficiently, describing completely obvious things as if they're new information. "Fusing a material to an arrow adds to its attack power. This is useful because it will do more damage to an enemy, thereby depleting it's health more quickly so you defeat it sooner, thus making the battle shorter and giving it less opportunity to do damage to you. This is a great strategy because if enemies do damage to you you lose health as represented by hearts and when you have no more hearts left the game ends and you are forced to start anew from an earlier save point."

gently caress AI.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

honestly it was kind of like that and terrible before AI, but now with the power of AI they can create it faster without having to pay scraps to any meddlesome humans

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

beforeiplay is a tiny little island in an ocean of enshittification and I am grateful as hell for it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

speaking of asking for things to know before you play a game for the first time, anything good for Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth? I've played Like A Dragon (Yakuza 7 (Yakuza: Like a Dragon))

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

speaking of asking for things to know before you play a game for the first time, anything good for Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth? I've played Like A Dragon (Yakuza 7 (Yakuza: Like a Dragon))

just a few things off the top of my head:

Jobs

-Chapter 5 is when you can start switching jobs.
-Have your characters quickly swap to all their unlocked jobs in the changing room, even if you're not sure you'll use them. Doing this unlocks the 4 starter skills for those jobs without having to use them in a battle.

Sujimon

-Every time you beat a "gym", there will be a committee agent standing near the entrance. Talk to him to get a free set of 10 agents for fusing.

Dodonko Island

-You get a good amount of money for the midgame every time you rank up, but by late game you tend to earn more money from fights and the bonus dungeons. Something to keep in mind if the island stuff doesn't appeal to you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ciaphas posted:

beforeiplay is a tiny little island in an ocean of enshittification and I am grateful as hell for it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'll also chip in and say that Beforeiplay is a loving gem. Just the essential stuff I need to know, read in a couple seconds with one click. Basically the diametric opposite of the average Google search results.

Happy to hear you're getting positive feedback from internet randos :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I should throw together some P3 Reload tips…

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Would that 20,000 visitors include scraping bots? It wouldn't be the first time that the site has been plagiarized for some gaming website.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Some stuff for Helldivers 2 :

- it's worth completing the Orders (seen by pressing L2). These give a big bunch of medals by, usually, doing things you'd be doing already, but you have to make sure you're going to the right planets for them
- Always use your strategems, don't try to save them for 'the right time'. There's rarely a reason to enter an outpost without at least a couple orbital bombardments clearing out some of the targets inside. Get a heavy weapon down ASAP, thrown down sentries whenever you think you'll be fighting a lot of enemies, etc. The cooldown for them is never particularly long, and the effort you'll save for a well-placed one will far outweigh having to wait for it to return.
- Sub-objectives will rarely show up on your map ahead of time, so keep an eye on the horizon for interesting-looking structures like radar dishes, large buildings, etc. Some sub-objectives will give you a benefit for that mission, such as revealing points of interest or giving you use of a limited number of artillery barrages.
- Communication is important, but if you don't want to use chat, make sure you're at least tagging things of interest that you spot.
- Teamwork is also key. Don't put sentries where they're definitely going to shoot teammates, share the resupply drops and other ammo pickups, keep an eye on each others' backs.
- You can find premium currency and medals out in the environment, so always keep a lookout for points of interest. Similarly, if you see what looks like a shipping container buried underground (usually with some pickups outside its door), you can blow its door up to find some loot within.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Firstly, let me add to the chorus of " BeforeIPlay is great, thank you for running it and to everyone for contributing "

Secondly anything I should know about Moonstone Island ? Picked it up cheap on a whim and looks like it dips it toes in a lot of stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The following tips could be added directly to the Persona 3 page, since most of the old tips remain valid (aside from Version Differences, which is a straight replacement)

Version Differences
* Persona 3 Reload adds the polish and QoL features you'd expect from a modern Persona game, but is also priced like a modern game.

* Persona 3 Portable plays more like a visual novel, but includes a female main character option, and is available on more systems for less money.

* Play whichever you prefer, both have pros and cons.

Reload-specific
* Avoid buying new gear until you've gotten as high in Tartarus as you can, you'll often find upgrades in chests better than anything in the shop.

* Don't be afraid to explore some of the less-efficient hangout options when they come up, it's very easy to max your social stats by mid-game.

* Links will no longer go into Reverse just from neglect, but they CAN still catch you cheating.

* There's a catch-up system unlocked relatively early, so don't worry about keeping everyone in the party exactly even.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
If you're playing the Resident Evil 3 remake (2022) there's a bit where you have to do a very Indiana Jones-esque maneuver. The faster your FPS/refresh rate, the less likely you are to succeed, to the point where 240 FPS gamers will instantly die. Turn your refresh rate down to 30 FPS for that one section and you'll manage it first time.

edit - will happily contribute to the wiki :)

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 17, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Found a way to cheese the Culex fight in Super Mario RPG (SNES) and you can do without grinding levels. No need for the Super Suit or Lazy Shell. Having accessories that halve damage will help. I used Bowser since he can tank and revive people.

Turns out you can get two Toad special dreams in Nimbus Land and the second one gave me two Red Essence's. That seemed unusual to me.
Save your 5 Red Essence (three from your journey) and hopefully get a freebie. You will need 9-13 Rock Candy to deal enough damage before your Red Essence runs out and take out 2-3 crystals. The last crystal has several hundred hp left and Culex another several hundred more. Fill your inventory with Pick Me Ups.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

girl dick energy posted:

The following tips could be added directly to the Persona 3 page, since most of the old tips remain valid (aside from Version Differences, which is a straight replacement)

Version Differences
* Persona 3 Reload adds the polish and QoL features you'd expect from a modern Persona game, but is also priced like a modern game.

* Persona 3 Portable plays more like a visual novel, but includes a female main character option, and is available on more systems for less money.

* Play whichever you prefer, both have pros and cons.

Reload-specific
* Avoid buying new gear until you've gotten as high in Tartarus as you can, you'll often find upgrades in chests better than anything in the shop.

* Don't be afraid to explore some of the less-efficient hangout options when they come up, it's very easy to max your social stats by mid-game.

* Links will no longer go into Reverse just from neglect, but they CAN still catch you cheating.

* There's a catch-up system unlocked relatively early, so don't worry about keeping everyone in the party exactly even.

Did they add platonic paths for the female S.Links, or do you still have to avoid Sunday dates to prevent getting caught while being a cheating bastard to get them all done in a single playthrough?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

I would say strategy for cheesing a postgame boss is beyond the scope of Before I Play, my dude

A lot of games could benefit from "After I Play" tips though if you're looking to expand the wiki, whoever runs the wiki

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 17, 2024

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did they add platonic paths for the female S.Links, or do you still have to avoid Sunday dates to prevent getting caught while being a cheating bastard to get them all done in a single playthrough?
They added platonic routes finally, thankfully, which they didn't even do for Portable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

girl dick energy posted:

They added platonic routes finally, thankfully, which they didn't even do for Portable.

That is good, although I will miss what an rear end the PC is at times because of it.

"I just...need someone to talk to right now"

> "I'll always be there for you, I love you"

> "Sounds like a you problem."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Found a way to cheese the Culex fight in Super Mario RPG (SNES) and you can do without grinding levels. No need for the Super Suit or Lazy Shell. Having accessories that halve damage will help. I used Bowser since he can tank and revive people.

Turns out you can get two Toad special dreams in Nimbus Land and the second one gave me two Red Essence's. That seemed unusual to me.
Save your 5 Red Essence (three from your journey) and hopefully get a freebie. You will need 9-13 Rock Candy to deal enough damage before your Red Essence runs out and take out 2-3 crystals. The last crystal has several hundred hp left and Culex another several hundred more. Fill your inventory with Pick Me Ups.

Lol what should I absolutely know going into this game. A way to cheese the optional superboss. Definitely man

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh I'd love a thread with this thread's vibes that's just interesting tips and tricks people found throughout a game

it's definitely not a thing people need to know when they start playing but I still like seeing people share poo poo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
:justpost:

Scalding Coffee posted:

I forgot to mention the Mushroom Boy in Seaside Town will give you Rock Candy after eating certain Mushrooms you can buy from the nearby store.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’m glad you’re having fun. :shobon:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh here's another for Helldivers 2 that I don't remember seeing anywhere at all in the game:

* Holding the reload button brings up firing options for the held gun - semi/auto, rate of fire for machine guns, etc

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Taiji https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141580/Taiji/:
  • The entrance to the mill (dashes) is not to the right/east of the hub area, it's down/south
  • The gallery's ground floor has puzzles which require you to know the rules from the other areas, but other floors have their own rules and can be done whenever

The Forgotten City https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/:
  • There are a few areas with combat and (mild) jump scares, if you want to avoid them you can still complete the game: don't take part in the plan to steal the golden bow, and avoid the lower cistern
  • There is no penalty to restarting the loop, and in some cases you can reach a dead end where there is nothing left to do; in these cases don't hesitate to force the golden rule to be applied and reset the loop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shazback posted:

The Forgotten City https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/:
  • There are a few areas with combat and (mild) jump scares, if you want to avoid them you can still complete the game: don't take part in the plan to steal the golden bow, and avoid the lower cistern

Can you still get the true ending if you don't do this part? I didn't think you could but might be wrong

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can you still get the true ending if you don't do this part? I didn't think you could but might be wrong

I think you can't get the true ending or even some other endings without it - or if you can it would really require some very specific routing / gameplay that I'm not aware of.
But you can get at least one of the endings (not counting game overs / failstates or such).

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Been playing some River City Girls 2 since it went on sale recently and I've gotten through toward near the end at this point. The tips are gonna assume you have some familiarity with the first game, but I'll keep it understandable enough without it.

* New to this game are hideouts, which give you a full heal whenever you walk in and are an option for you in the event that you get KO'd. Choosing to continue from a hideout will mean that you incur no money penalty like you would have if you choose to continue where you lost, but depending on where it happened, it may prove a slight inconvenience for you. For what it's worth, the money penalty doesn't really seem to be as rough here as it is in the last game.

* When you select a character, all others in reserve will slowly level up and earn money alongside your chosen character so that switching to them is not as rough. Keep in mind that all gear items will be shared and you won't have to re-purchase them, which is handy. Also keep in mind that the character you switch to will need to go shopping for stat ups from food, as all characters have to do that separately for themselves.

* You can now use two assists instead of just one. What's more, any chump you beat up and recruit can be recruited again at will at any hideout. Use them for combos or as a human shield if need be. There are also stronger people who can be recruited, but you will have to pay 25 bucks to bring them on each time and they are only at their fixed locations.

* There's a day/night cycle, which affects a few select things, but it also means that vending machines that you break will eventually be repaired so you can smash them for more food.

* What worked before works fine here: Use your special moves to knock foes into others, throw downed enemies into others or into pits, and don't hover over someone as they're getting up unless you're going to block or attempt to parry their wake-up attack. As for bosses, they still have HP thresholds and you should stick with short combos to not get swept up and get smacked for overextending.

* For collectable side quests, the items in question only appear when it's active. Blowing off the quest giver to find them early will not help you here, unfortunately. Also, if there's a collectable in question or something else that's notable, the node on the map will stay pink until you find it, in which case it will turn purple.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for Dead Island 2? I never played the other games in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The game is fairly assertive about telling you what you need to know, so I'm not sure what tips to include.

If you're using a Maiming weapon, you can massacre regular zombies (walkers/runners) by aiming for the legs.
If your weapon has an elemental mod some zombie subtypes will be completely immune to it. Make sure to have a backup. A purely physical one is good to have on-hand for firefighters.
Top up your Fuse supply every time you visit a vendor. Spend one when you're feeling like you need a new weapon.
Lockboxes usually can't be opened when you first find them. They're for when you return to areas.
Don't underestimate the humble Meat Bait and Chem Bomb. They might not do any damage, but that doesn't mean you can't massacre zombies with them.