Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In Hypnospace Outlaw, can I ignore or refuse to complete the missions and still progress through the game? For example, I've been tasked with taking down software that the parent company doesn't like, and it's being hosted by the company's employee. Frankly, I like the idea of a company employee going against company policy and I'd rather he not get found out.

I'm ok just playing the game straight at this point (as an America Online cop), but if it's designed to accept nuanced or 'rebellious' play, I'd rather do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the guidance!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As a parent, to this I would add: what are the parental controls? How much work do I have to do to make it safe for my kid to play? Does the company appear cagey about this, or does their UI bury such controls in some app or panel somewhere? Will the company's policies pit me against my kid as I try to manage her online experience?

For example, an inadequate parental control for online chats would be an on/off toggle (I don't know what Roblox's controls are). This pits me against my kid: they want to chat, but I can't just let them have unfettered chat access. The company is either being lazy or is hoping I'll just relent and let my child have unfettered chat with anyone. Dealbreaker.

I have a nine year old, she can play Minecraft, but she will not be playing Roblox.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Will the company's policies pit me against my kid as I try to manage her online experience?: Unsure what you mean. Company policies are rarely enforced
Thanks for the reply. I know this one is an odd question, but it's one every parent should ask themselves, and it's one they only figure out way after they let the wolf in the hen house. But I'd bet there's at least some corporate consideration over this: how can we keep the kids generating money for us, while giving parents the minimum opportunity to disrupt that activity?

Anyway, I'll stop posting about this here, it's a frustration I have with many online games and services aimed at kids.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Factorio's tutorial campaign, and the semi-smart tips that pop up are really great. But I notice that I've had circuits unlocked for some time on my game, and there's only been one tip about them: that they allow a whole bunch of control, but that they're not necessary to win the game.

I'm totally ok with beating the game without using a single circuit, and frankly I'm glad I have the choice. But is there eventually a more helpful tutorial with these things, or are you expected to bring in outside knowledge in order to make use of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bedurndurn posted:

I'm not sure if they've added another tutorial or not, but the circuits network can basically do whatever digital logic and your imagination can accomplish. That's surely outside the scope of the wiki, so I'd say look for a video about them:

3 minute intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLKA5zRrQ0

~30+ minutes of info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9I2l7r4pWM

xiw posted:

The game itself doesn't tutorialise them much more, but there's a bunch of good stuff in their wiki. I think the expectation is that like a lot of the game you'll tinker with them a little and then look outside the game once oyu get stuck.

I found https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circuit_network_cookbook a good place to start.

Thanks, at least I'm not waiting around for a tutorial that's not going to come. I'll probably fiddle with circuits sooner or later, and it's good to know where to get started.