Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Grandia I (PS1)
- Until, at the very least, you get through New Parm, explore the towns and non-dungeon locations you find yourself in THOROUGHLY. Not only are the NPC conversations usually worth your while for hilarity, there are plenty of little sidequests and what not you can do to get yourself some pretty decent items (and in one case, a very rare item that will be useful at end game - check the below spoiler for details).

- Once on the Steamer, in the 2nd class cabin (the one with all the people and shops), there is a older man, whom you will find out is stowing away. Talk to him each and every day on the Steamer, and once you leave the Steamer, look for a moving barrel. "Talk" to it, and the man will give you (IIRC) a Miracle or Golden Potion, which is a very rare high-end restorative. Stash it immediately for use WAAAAY later on.

- Unless you explore EVERY SINGLE PART of EVERY SINGLE DUNGEON (or use a guide), avoid giving Mana Eggs to Sue, as she will not be in your party come around 3/4ths of the way through disc 1.. Note that if you do give her Mana Eggs, there will be Coloring Books for each element you gave her that grant around 1/3rd of her experience in that element to whoever you use it on, just like her weapon books.

- Get Justin Earth and Fire magic as soon as possible, and level them up to around lv10. Also, level up his sword to around lv15 by the time Gadwin leaves the party. Why? Dragon. Motherfucking. Cut. Although it's pricey, it will basically destroy just about any regular enemy you encounter for the rest of the game, until you get Heaven & Earth Cut.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

There are a few things it doesn't mention that will help.
-When you start, go to the training area and draw 100 sleeps from the plant monsters. It is the best thing you will have to junction to magic for a while (and magic determines how many spells you draw)
-When you get diablos learn no encounter as fast as possible and never look back
-abuse the hell out of limit breaks. if your health is yellow (or almost yellow) hit square until it says you can use it
-Turn items/cards into magic, seriously if you play your cards (heh, pun) right sleep is one of the only spells you will have to draw from a monster in the whole game

Pretty sure the skip button is Triangle in FF8.

EDIT for content:

Final Fantasy VIII
- Choose 10 minutes for the Fire Cavern test, and then wait to beat the boss until you have about 30secs on the clock for a high score on one of the aspects of the SeeD exam (I forget which.)

Parasite Eve II
- You can get some pretty decent items for acing the 5 levels of training at the start of the game. If you find yourself doing well with the combat system, try to go for these prizes as much as possible.
- Storage boxes are NOT interconnected. Be careful not to leave ammo or something you may need behind.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 22, 2009

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire
- Am I the only one who HATES Blind Research? Every time I played with it on it seemed the game just kept me from getting the next tier of weapon or armor while I was at war, even if I had the game set to only research Conquer techs.

- If you haven't installed Alien Crossfire yet and play as the University, Hunter-Seeker Algorithm is probably the most important Secret Project as it makes you COMPLETELY IMMUNE TO ENEMY PROBE TEAMS and also increases your own Probe Teams' success rates if I recall correctly. Alien Crossfire nerfs it so that it isn't completely vital but is still pretty drat good.

- Air units pretty much dominate, especially if you install Alien Crossfire and get the Cloudbase Academy SP. The only downside is that most air units cannot take over bases so you'll still need some infantry.

- Getting to any tech named Secrets of (X) first will grant you an instant free tech. The first one requires only Social Psych and Biogenetics, but good luck beating the University (with their free tech on landing and high research rate) or the Peacekeepers (who start with Social Psych) to it, though.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

WarringPhoenix posted:

- Always take the time to make sure your Reyvateil has a lot of Divepoints and go into their Cosmosphere to level up your relationship with them. Not only does this level them up, but by visiting various places in their mind you will gain new spells and costumes, which will give you bonus's. Just be warned, some of them are... interesting.

- WAY later on in the game your Cosmosphere progress will grind to a halt until you get certain items from story related missions. If I remember correctly, AURICA caps out at a early point if you've been diving regularly.

- The game isn't hard by any means. Just get used to the combat and everyone's skills and you'll have no trouble with any bosses.

- There is going to be a lot of Innuendo. A LOT.

All this is correct, especially after I fixed the name.

Additionally:

Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
- Unlike the sequel, there is no limit on how deep into each Reyvateil's Cosmosphere you can go. If you want to break the already-fragile game over your knee, you should finish all of the levels for each girl.

- You will get a special prize for reaching Level 5 in a Cosmosphere, usually given to you the first time you rest after completing the level. Misha's in particular is useful until pretty much the end of the game, and it's recommended you get it as soon as possible.

- The game does have a branching path and multiple endings. Generally speaking, if it looks like you are about to be given a choice on who to follow or what to do (edit: and the party has split up while you make said decision), make a separate save if you want to go back later.

- It bears repeating: this is basically Sexual Innuendo: the Video Game. Abandon all dignity, ye who play here.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 31, 2011

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

How is it 'worth it' when there's nothing in the game hard enough to need all of those things for?

Dream Devourer in the DS version, perhaps... then again you have to NG+ to unlock it anyway, so I don't even know.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

JaggerMcDagger posted:

So gamefly just shipped ou Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel, and I am already almost regretting it.

1. Is this game as uncomfortably anime as the previous ones?
2. Are there any game crashing glitches, like the previous ones?
3. Are any of the specific partners extremely overpowered, like the previous ones?
4. Anything else I should know?

1) Oh god yes.
2) The only things I remember are in regards to the Elemia Island DLC which is even more beyond the anime-pale than the baseline game is, and costs $5. They are also easily avoidable, unlike the Raki glitch in Metafalica.
3) Not that I'm aware of but it's been a bit since I played.
4) What everyone else has said.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Am I getting whooshed? Why are we talking about DNF when the dude is still asking about Ar Tonelico Qoga?

ANYWAY, ATQ is okay if you at all were a fan of the first two. The music is still amazing, the battle system is tolerable if a step down from AT2's, and if all else fails you could legitimately claim to have heard a polka about cats.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
e: removed pedantry

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 16, 2014

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Anything for This War of Mine? Thinking of diving in to it soon.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Nohman posted:

Anything for Koudelka?

Pump up Edward's physical stats, Koudelka's magical stats (but also occasionally vitality and agility) and lean more towards magic with James as well. Use James as your buff bot, have Koudelka slinging spells, and Ed up front tanking hits and smacking things.

Speaking of buffs the buff spells debuff when cast on enemies.

If a character is ko'd then moved past they cannot be revived. Be careful.

Weapons can break so keep spares around.

Everything levels up with use on a per-character basis. More weapon levels give you the chance to hit twice or even three times in the same attack. More magic levels give you more damage and the ability to hit adjacent enemies for more MP.

There will be a point where you are alone as Koudelka later on in the game. After solving a puzzle to drain water, make sure you've found her pendant before continuing.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Personally I always thought condiments were a waste of a slot.

I'd say this is accurate unless you have a version of the game that has the condiment glitch. Basically, load a character up with condiments, then put whatever food you want to use at the bottom of their inventory through judicious use of the Give command. Once in battle, have the character use the food item. If done correctly the game will use the condiment but not the item. Rinse and repeat for either absurdly cheap full heals+PP restore (Brain Food Lunch) or absurdly high stat gains (Rock Candy).

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

maybe change the line about the character molesting everything in the game

on a similar note to this, I recently looked back at some of my older posts and noticed i used "rape" to describe an ability's brokenness in Grandia. Could somebody with editing capabilities please change that to "destroy" or something?

Thanks.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Nick Buntline posted:

Available romance options include an oil derrick, the last of the great clown detectives, and ten thousand crows. Basically just go with the flow and don't worry about it too much.

:allears: As someone who has never heard of this game, that is an amazing sentence right there.

Parasite Eve II
- In addition to the Black Card referred to in other tips for this game, you should also try to find most of the gear in the first area. Sure the plot takes the gear itself away from you, but the compensatory items are pretty drat good as well.
- There are four items in the game that have ???s for their use/attach effects. Their attach effects are better than the use effects, full stop.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

1redflag posted:

Always try to draw from every enemy , particularly bosses and mini bosses. Be sure to draw from the robot mini boss that keeps coming g back in the beginning of the game; he has a healer junction you can draw that makes hidden save points appear.

(snip)

At one point you’ll find a lamp that will get added as an inventory item. be ready to face a big boss enemy before you use the lamp (but be sure to use the lamp earlyish in the game).

1st paragraph correction: The junction in question is actually on the winged monstrosity boss before the robot shows up.

2nd paragraph addition: You should have access to Blind fairly easily at this point, which pretty much neutralizes that boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

safe harbor posted:

I'm gonna start Uncharted 4 this weekend. This is my first Uncharted game and the only reason I have it is because it came bundled with my PS4. So having not played any of the others do I need to know anything to understand whats happening? I think I can pick up the gameplay ok enough because I just finished The Last of Us and I figure it plays sorta the same. So...advice? Thoughts?

Definitely brush up on 1-3. I'd suggest watching an LP of 1 and playing 2 and 3 before tackling Thief's End.

As far as gameplay, no, UC is definitely not like TLoU. Breaking stealth in UC means you just go loud to kill everything in sight, whereas breaking stealth in TLoU gets you either killed or drained of resources. Nothing's stopping you from stealthing most fights in UC3 and UC4, but UC1 and UC2 don't really reward stealth as much.

tl;dr: don't sweat getting spotted, always be moving, and at least make a good faith effort to brush up on the first three before starting thief's end, and you'll probably be fine.

Edit: also if you collected the Firefly medallions/other stuff in TLoU and enjoyed it, all the uncharted games have similar collection sidequests, so explore early and often.

Also also Drake's journal pretty much constantly updates throughout the games, providing more backstory and some quality jokes/moments if you're into that.

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 5, 2019