Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

I just got Dead Rising 2 in the mail from Gamefly. Before I pop it in: I've heard a lot of frustration with this game due to the time limit. Is there a certain way to play it the first time? Do you just dick around and level up, or do you rush and try to do everything the first time?

You're not going to hit the best ending your first attempt. Basically the 'right' way to play the game is to just take it all in stride your first couple of tries. Murdering hordes of zombies is always fun, so just hit what objectives you can without worrying too much. When you inevitably hit a wall on your first couple of playthroughs, just start it back up with your newly improved Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I found that the shop guy in your ship and the shop guy in CSec both seemed to have their own separate stocks of the Specter weapons. I know I've got 2 of the Specter assault rifles and I'm less than halfway through the game.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Heavy Rain

Is there any way to disable the 'jerk off the sixaxis controller' gestures? I'm finally starting this game after buying it last year, but the game is ignoring most of my whole controller motion inputs.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
This is what I've learned from 4 or 5 hours of EYE.

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

• Check this post for how to pull the stupid overlays and fisheye crap out of your sniper rifle's scope so you can actually shoot people with the drat thing. If you don't install those extra fixes, EYE's idea of a scope UI is remarkably reminiscent of MS Office's Clippy.
  • You can adjust the difficulty of the NPCs and their numbers in the option's menu of the game at any time. Harder mobs give more XP and cash when defeated. Do whatever seems fun to you at the time. The gunplay in this game is surprisingly fun.
  • Every time you start a mission or do much of anything, look for a big gothic wardrobe with a little armory waypoint on it. That's how you do your weapons and armor load out. If you don't stop there, you'll be in light armor with only a sword to your name.
  • Blocking with a sword (hold right click) also blocks bullets. Because that totally makes sense, right?
  • You can dual wield a sword and a handgun, block bullets with your sword and then cap fools in the face. It's awesome.
  • Research a medkit as soon as it's available. It's the only real way to heal yourself. You have a free, terrible healing power (Maintenance) bound to the V key by default. It does gently caress all for actual healing, but it will fix broken limbs.
  • Always be researching. You can adjust the slider for the research spending all the way to the left to make it substantially cheaper in exchange for taking longer. Time flies pretty fast, maybe on the order of 1 research day is about 4 or 5 minutes of gameplay.
  • Hacking kind of sucks, but it's necessary in some instances. If you absolutely have to hack something, try using the ability that reduces the enemy's attack strength, spam until they've got 0 attack, do a damaging attack and then go back to spamming the attack strength reducer (as the enemy has probably sacrificed some defense to increase it again). That takes loving forever (at least on my guy with a terrible hacking score), but you probably can't lose if you stick to that plan.
  • Stats have some game effect, but are also used to gate access to weapons and powers. Starting out, you may want to focus on getting the Bearkiller 444 handgun, because it shoots through aircraft, schools and heavily armored people's dirty faces. I think it requires something like 60ish accuracy, 38(?) strength and 25 agility. You should pick it up.
  • Bumping up the mob difficulty also reduces your maximum health (you'll have a black chunk that looks like damage but can't be healed.
  • You have a certain number of lives (respawns). If you run out, you have to start your current map again AND you have the potential of taking a permanent wound if your karma is low. They can eventually be fixed, but not for a long time.
  • Your karma is lowered when you shoot the poor defenseless, disgusting vermin that are all over the drat place. So you should probably stop.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

What should I know about Dishonored before I play it? (prefferably without spoilers if possible.)

Aside from obvious scripted deaths, anybody that dies counts as your fault. So if you knock out somebody and they get eaten by rats, that's a kill. If some poor plague-ridden idiot follows you out into the open and then gets shot by healthy people, that's also on you. That said, you can kill quite a few people before there's storyline and ending repercussions, so don't worry about it too much unless you're trying for the achievement for not killing anybody.

Bone charms are randomized, so you might be able to save scum your way to better ones, but I'm not sure if they're set in stone when you first load the level or if you collapse the wave function when you loot them.

Any bone charm or rune stone that the heart shows you an indicator for can be gotten only on whatever mission you're currently on. Some times you'll revisit a map later in the game, but it'll have new runes and charms and you'll have lost the chance to pick up anything you missed the first time around.

If you think there's any chance that you might want more mobility at all, buy the improved teleport power and the athletics (That might be the wrong name, but it's the one that says it makes you jump higher) power. You can get to a lot of things you otherwise couldn't and get to the things you could normally reach a hell of a lot easier with the bigger jump height and farther teleport upgrades.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Taerkar posted:

That being said, you can reuse projectile weapon ammo.

You can pick up and reuse thrown weapons too.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

LunaSocks posted:

As I am about to start the 15GB download for Bioshock Infinite, are there any tips I should know about the original Bioshock? I have started into it a little, and while it seems straightforward, I feel like I am missing something to the combat (it feels really simplistic) and I've heard lots of good things about said combat from friends who have played the game before. Is it just me thinking the game is easy or am I just missing something?

The actual gameplay is pretty straightforward. The remarkable parts of it are the story and environment. Oh and save all the little sisters. It pays you more in the long run than the instant gratification of harming them for more magic power juice up front.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I bought Fallout 3 GOTYE for PC ages ago, but never really played it since I stuffed up installing a bunch of mods. Does anyone have a guide that explicitly outlines what mods should be installed to make the experience better (and how to install them etc)? Or should I just play vanilla?

There's a radio mod (available here) that adds 100 more tracks to the radio. If you like the old-timey radio stuff as an aspect of the game, it's good to pick up. I think the original soundtrack is like 12 songs, which without this mod really overstay their welcome on a 40-60 hour game.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 4, 2013

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Anything for Reus? It seems like a chill little god game, but I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Twitch posted:

Sorry if this has been covered already, but what should I do about properties in GTA5 to keep from screwing myself over? I've only done one heist, and I've played far enough that I have all three characters. So far the only properties I've bought are the gun running hangar for Trevor, and Franklin bought the weed store, because I switched to him and he was working out at the beach nearby when he got his cut of the heist, and immediately walking across the street and buying a dispensary seemed funny.

Basically, I figured I'd try to spread the properties between all three characters, will this be good enough?

Most (if not all) of the properties are kind of worthless from an income perspective. I might not have the math exactly right, but they won't pay for themselves until you've played the game for like 150+ hours of real time after purchasing them. The cab and tow companies are particularly lovely in that buying them just lets you run cab or tow-truck missions for a few hundred bucks at a time. I bought into Pitchers, the cheap bar up north and the weed place in my game; all three of those would rarely generate delivery missions for me, but the only outcome I saw was if I failed the mission (or didn't start it within a very short time of it being announced) then I didn't get paid for the week, which hardly seemed like a selling point.

The dock in the NW of the map is neat though. Buying it gets you a submarine and a quest to collect radioactive waste underwater. For each pickup you find, you get something like $23,000. There's 30 to find (and they give you an indication of where they are), so that's one property that will actually be profitable fairly easily.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Biggest human being Ever posted:

After finishing RAGE (thanks for the advice thread!), I'm about to start Hitman Absolution. I understand the game is more straightforward than the previous ones but is there anything I should know going in? Any things that are crucial to do/avoid?

When you load a checkpoint, everyone in the level is magically alive again, including all the people behind you.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

owl_pellet posted:

I have some GTA V questions:

What are the properties to stay away from? I will most likely end up buying the ones that have achievements associated with them, so I'm looking for advice on any other ones that have fun activities/missions or make me more money than they cost within a reasonable amount of time, etc.

None of the properties will get you a profit unless you're playing the game for like 100+ hours after purchasing them. Which you won't.

quote:

Also I'm unclear on how buying the same property with multiple characters works. If I complete an activity for a property on one character does that make money for any other characters that own the same property?

Only one character can own a given property. Once you've bought something with one dude, it can't be bought by anyone else. Only the purchasing character gets weekly income from it.

quote:

Will I ever be able to track the collectibles like the UFO parts, letter scraps, etc. on my map?

Finally I have something positive to say. Check out the rockstar social club website thing. If you look at the map on your particular user profile, it will show you collected / uncollected items on the map.

quote:

Lastly, is there any point from a completion percentage perspective to completing the same activities like the shooting range or the flight school on multiple characters?

No idea.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Now that Infamous: Second Son is out, I should probably get around to playing Infamous 2. The wiki is silent on this topic, any tips?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I know you don't have them listed, but is Raw/Darkness/Mundane the exception to this? I swore I was about to spell buff both my raw and darkness weapons. .

You're talking Dark Souls 2 and the person you're quoting is talking about Dark Souls 1.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Just a little correction here: it's Attunement that influences Agility, not Endurance.

You mean adaptability. Attunment governs number of spell slots as well as cast speed.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Caufman posted:

Is Wargame Red Dragon the right next step for me if the last RTS I beat was Command and Conquer Red Alert?

No. No way whatsoever.

This is Giantbomb's look at W:RD. If you haven't played an RTS since C&C:RA, I'd say your next step is Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes or something in the Dawn of War WH40K series.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

FutureCop posted:

Dang, thanks for this tip. I fancy myself a bit of a gadget guy so I buy bunches of firebombs/throwing knives/witching urns and the like as well as tons of spells; I'll have to tone that down a bit because I do love cooping with people (and hate pvping). I don't know if I've reached the limit or anything, but something to look out for.

The soul memory system works on a +/- 10% basis. So unless you're tossing a real shitload of bombs at things, that's not going to be much of an issue.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I picked up Diablo 3 and the ROS expanion pack. There's nothing on the wiki. So far I figured out that there's little treasure sack carrying dudes that need to die before they escape with your free prizes. I bet there's more than that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Metal Meltdown posted:

The Blizzard subforum on these very boards has a lot of info concerning deeper mechanics and individual classes, but feel free to post here as well if you want any specific advice.

Is the crafting system useful/important? Should I be vendoring my unwanted gear or scavenging it for bits.

Is there a way to get the comparison tooltips to be from the perspective of my companion? I don't have a good sense for if sword A or sword B is better for the crusader guy because I have 0 clue how stats work for him.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I had a look at the wiki for Disgaea 3, but there's nothing there that veterans of the series won't already know. Is there anything specific to the game that I should be aware of? I remember there was something about item duping and a few other bits and pieces, but I can't remember the specifics.

http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Disgaea_3_Item_Duping

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Any tips for Democracy 3?

In my first game I became the first Australian Prime Minister in history to be assassinated. After disabling assassinations in the options menu, my second try at public office had my government drastically reduce crime, unemployment, alcoholism and pollution while improving healthcare, safety, GDP and education while also cutting the deficit in half. For my efforts, I received 2% of the popular vote, leading me to believe that simulated Australians are cunts.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 30, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I can't beat the tutorial in Civ 5. Should give up video games and become a monk?

How? It may have changed in a patch, but I believe the AI was literally not allowed to declare war on you in that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

What the hell am I doing in Civilization: Beyond Earth?

Wide is much better than tall. Internal trade routes can generate such a stupid amount of food and production for your cities that your actual location doesn't matter too much. Since there's no luxury resources, you can plop cities more or less wherever you feel like it. Hell if there's no actual resources somewhere, there are techs in the lower right quadrant of the tech web that let you build satellites that create natural resources out of thin air on tiles that don't have them already.

The AI and notifications are also pretty bad. There's a depressingly high chance that you can start your 'win the game' machine/building/whatever for a traditional science victory and literally nobody will give a poo poo. The flipside to this is that the AI won't get off its rear end to stop another AI from turning their win device on, so you have to keep an eye on the AIs too.

It might be a good game in an expansion pack or two, but for now Civ V is a much better game.

quote:

I hear Beyond Earth is more like Alpha Centauri than Civ or something like that I don't remember.

Nope. BE could just as well be a mod for Civ V with how similar it is. AC also did a smart thing and had each of the players be a specific ideology so you can identify who people are and what they're like (in the absence of a historical context like Civ, it's helpful to know what your neighbors are going to be like). In BE everybody's a made up nation with a dumb name and no real discernible agenda or style. Also everybody refers to the other factions by their leaders name, which is terribly unhelpful for these made up jackholes with no discernible personality. I went in and replaced all the leader names with their border color.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 2, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

al-azad posted:

Man, I remember people saying Civ 5 was the worst Civ game. It's like the Zelda effect where the worst Zelda is always the last one that came out.

V was especially bad at launch. V changed the map system so that only one military unit could be in a space at a time. That was a big departure for the serious, but not necessarily bad. What was terrible is that they didn't bother to code an AI that was actually any good at all at maneuvering troops with that one unit per tile restriction. AIs are always going to be kind of stupid; as a game designer, your job is to engineer things so that the player doesn't see how dumb things actually are behind the scenes.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'd say that Barrier is never not useful. It's the only way of getting free hit points on anyone who isn't a warrior, and even the best of tanks won't keep all the aggro on themselves in anything resembling a difficult fight. You can keep it down to 1 or 2 points since it's the root node of the tree, but I'd definitely pick that up on any mage you put in your party.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Anyone have anything to add for 'This War of Mine'? I had a good first run, after 12 days in everywhere I tried to scavenge had very upset men with guns that murdered the poo poo out of me. Should I have a gun by that point in the game, or is that just how the game is? Also, is a crowbar actually useful as a weapon? I thought I could bonk someone on the head with it from behind, but my intended victim turned around, kicked me in the balls and then shot me in the face.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Anything for Dying Light?

Have a lot of normal zombies that you need dead, but can't clear them in melee safely? Stand up on something tall enough to be safe (like a van or a building) and toss firecrackers to gather them, then molotovs to clear them out. Neither firecrackers nor the molotov counts as anything loud enough that fast zombies will come to investigate.

Giant zombie in your way? Throw melee weapons at them. There's a relatively early game talent that will let you throw any melee weapon. Coincidentally, the big concrete club those assholes swing around makes a really good ranged weapon when you throw it at them. It's so good that it's worth carting around one or two of those rebar clubs in the early game so you can throw them whenever you encounter a giant dude.

Living people are really annoying to fight. Fortunately living people also really don't handle being lit on fire well. So any time you find a group of 3 thugs camping something you want (like a supply drop), throw a molotov right into the middle of them. All three of them will burn to death without any further intervention on your part. Also living people usually have great weapons that sell for good money, too, so don't forget to loot their weapons.

In coop, the loot you see (with the exception of weapons actively being wielded by the NPCs) is all instanced. So you see your own loot. Each of your coop buddies sees their own individual sets of loot. So feel free to take anything you see lying around; you're not being a greedy dick when you hoover up everything in sight.

Talent tips: Extra bag space is great. Crafting more items for fewer resources (aka make more molotovs) is great. Instant escape from zombie grabs is a literal life saver. Instantly killing prone zombies is revelatory. Camouflage is good. Jumping off of zombies while sprinting is good (and with the drop attack is hilarious). I never used two handed weapons, so I can't tell you if the talent abilities for two handers are any good, but the charged swing power attack for one handed weapons is garbage and usually will get your rear end eaten.

Don't go outside at night. The night time special zombies are real bad news.

Coop is really fun if you get strangers who will actually talk to you.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2015

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You don't lose xp at night? I did not know that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Stelas posted:

Not necessarily. If one of the objectives is 'acquire the armored truck...' you can still accomplish that by being in it when you drive out of the hot zone. Any vehicles you're in will get auto-picked-up.

It'd just be magnitudes easier later on.

I think there's a few that require multiple vehicle extractions or cargo container extraction. If it is just one vehicle though, you can GTA it as long as it's unoccupied.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
In case anybody else took too long to realize this, the red shipping containers are ten times more valuable than the white colored ones. As long as you're willing to wait for all the resources to get processed, all shipping containers are worth at least 15,000 GMP in resources, so grabbing any of them you see is the right decision.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Geektox posted:

What do the extra objectives in MGSV actually get you? One that I still haven't been able to get after numerous tries in the Don't let the Man on Fire attack in the prologue and I can't figure it out. I wish there was a way to check on the objective without completing the mission so I know if I should load a checkpoint.

There's an achievement/trophy for having accomplished all the objectives on every mission. I think there might be a cosmetic or bonus item unlock associated with that (I know there is one for S ranking all the missions), but I'm not 100% on that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Cactus posted:

Thanks for this its helpful. I didn't have that pause after ability option on so I'll utilise that on my next go around. Gonna stick with rogue though if that's the only way I'll see one.

Well you can also make generic NPCs of any class you like. The only downside to them is that they don't have any unique storyline associated with them like the NPCs you find out in the world.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

1redflag posted:

Bloodborne?

The webpage only has a few cryptic hints, and I appreciate that, but are there any suggested builds to follow or weapons/items to hunt down/ignore. E.g., how smash damage was particularly effective for most of the story in Dark Souls 2?

Your first character should be a physical attacker, either based on strength or skill (I think it's called skill in this game instead of Dex). There's some wizard poo poo you can do later with an arcane focused character, but until you're more familiar with where to find it and how the game plays, an arcane or gun-focused character is going to be super frustrating and unfun.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything for Kerbal Space Program? Did all the tutorials and am going to try the career mode.

Chances are good that you're going to want to dick around with some mods at some point. There's a super awesome program called CKAN that can handle finding, updating, dependency-checking, downloading and installing mods. You can get it here (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/90246-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-ckan-package-manager-v1160-13-dec-2015/)

KSP is fun as hell, but it is trying to simulate real physics (though with some deliberate concessions to ease-of-use and fun). You can probably get to Kerbin's two moons through determination and a giant pile of dead astronauts, but you'll get a lot more out of the game if you watch some good tutorial videos on how the hell orbital mechanics work. I can't recommend Scott Manley's youtube channel enough.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything for Darkest Dungeon? In particular, any gear I should make sure to take before going into the dungeon? Also, is there anyway to use skills outside of combat, but still in the dungeon, like to heal my party?

I think the math worked out (or at least it did months ago when I played this last) that the only random objects you want to gently caress with that you find in dungeons are the ones you need to burn items on. So walk right by most of that bullshit, but bring extra keys and blessing juice with you to use on shrines/chests/etc.

Of course if you've decided somebody's expendable....

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Ok so I could really use some general tips for Fire Emblem: Fates. Assume that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these games (which I am), so even if something seems minor I could still use the help.

To clarify a little, I played and almost beat Awakening so I'm not totally unfamiliar with how the games work. That said I feel like I have absolutely no grasp on strategy other than the basic weapon wheel. This leads to a lot of frustration and it is making the game not very fun.

Play on one of the modes (either Phoenix or Casual) that makes it so your people don't permanently die in battle. With permadeath gone, Birthright is actually pretty easy since you can always grind random world map battles for XP for your units. With Conquest, you can't do the world map grinding, but you can infinitely replay and DLC maps you own and I'm pretty sure you can fight as many castle battles as you want if you need XP.

There are two ways units cooperate on the field: by being adjacent and by standing in the same square as another unit (pairing up).
  • Paired units: Only the primary unit will actually fight in battle. The secondary character adds a stat boost (shown when you pair up), automatically blocks any enemy team attacks and will block the enemy's primary attack if your little shield meter is full.
  • Adjacent units: Both units will attack the enemy you target. No other stat or defense bonuses. As long as the target is in range for the primary unit, the adjacent unit can attack too (so even if you've got a bow and your buddy has a sword, your buddy will run up and slice the bad guy even if he's not really in range from the square he's standing in).

The X button will toggle a purple overlay showing what squares are within the enemy's attack range next turn. Unless you're pressed for time for some reason, you can just be an rear end and park your guys 1 square out of range (or only 1 square in) and generally bait the enemy to come attack you. The precise effect of the overlay is something you can fiddle with in the options menu.

There's a special kind of item called a 'seal'. Master seals promote a unit to an advanced class. Heart seals promote a unit to another of that unit's 'base' classes (it's weird and character specific). There's also seals that can promote a unit into the classes of their lover / best friend (but I forget what they're called). In general, you probably want to level a unit in whatever class it came in until it hits level 20. At this point it'll usually say that it's reached max xp. That's when you want to use a master seal. There are some units that start out the game in an advanced class, those can usually keep gaining XP at level 20 and cap at either 30 or 40. You'll know an advanced class unit when you see it because even though it looks like it's low level, it horrifically murders the poo poo out of other people and it gets gently caress all for XP compared to your other normal units of that level.

There's a nice lady who can 'Sing' which grants an extra turn to a unit that's already acted. It's as overpowered and ridiculous as it sounds and bringing that lady along to every battle is worth it even though she's basically useless on her own.

Multiplayer castle visit stuff:
  • Each player has two ratings: visit points and battle points. Each kind of points gets you rewards as you hit various point thresholds.
  • Visit points are gained by (each applies): visiting a castle (duh), rating a castle, giving the host an accessory item. Note: When you give another player an accessory item, you don't lose it, so you should always give people poo poo.
  • Battle points are gained by: fighting them, either in their castle or yours
  • Visiting other players castles also allows you to buy poo poo at their shops, get free stuff from their resource generators (so free food / gems), or gamble in their battle arena. The free stuff from their resource generators doesn't kick you out of their castle, so make sure to grab that first. Also make sure you rate them and give them an accessory before you buy something or gamble because those kick you out when you're done.

Pay attention to your actual objectives (shown on the map screen). It's not always 'kill all the dudes' and in some maps, there will be bad guys who will pound your head in if you try to mess with them.

This is probably too basic, but you can beat the game pretty easily as long as you keep your dudes together (sometimes you'll want to divide your army in half, but lone wolves get murdered), put beefy dudes up front, ranged attackers in the second row, healers in the back. If there's a narrow area between you and the bad dudes, try to block it so they can't rush you all at once. Basic tactical strategy stuff. There's nothing in the game that's super unusual.

You can pretty much ignore the weapon wheel stuff. The only really important thing is that some weapons get a lot of bonus damage vs certain unit types (like archers murder the poo poo out of flying horses, there are specific weapons that do bonus damage to knights, etc). If your current unit is vulnerable to an enemy weapon, that enemy will have an exclamation point on them. Don't ignore that, because they will probably one hit kill you. On the opposite side of that, make sure to take advantage of those weapon/unit pairings when they're in your favor if it won't expose your units too much.

The game's equipment optimization feature is good and you should probably always use it. It loads your dudes up with a shitload of weapons because the way the game's weapons work a higher tier weapon isn't better in all aspects than a lower tier weapon. Ex: a steel sword does more damage but has worse chances of hitting than an iron sword. After you target a dude, you can rotate through all the weapons you're holding to see which ones offer you the best chance of hitting, how much they'll do and if you'll get 2 attacks or not.

Don't sell old weapons. You can 'forge' them which basically takes 2 weapons +X and gets you 1 weapon of X+1. A weapon with an extra plus is better in every way than it was before. Since a +4 weapon is going to require you sacrificing 16 base weapons, hanging on to old poo poo is always the right call. Also for the forge and the weapon shop, the person staffing it matters. If the person currently on staff can use the weapon you're buying/forging it will be cheaper or require 1 fewer raw material to forge (minimum 1 material). Staff rotates every battle and I think every save/load, so you can fiddle with that if you're forging higher tier stuff and don't have a lot of the material. Remember that you get those materials by visiting other players' castles.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 1, 2016

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Kruller posted:

Anything for Factorio? The stuff I've looked up so far is hilariously complex and makes no sense. Speak to me as though I am a child.

Pushing Alt makes extra info appear on most machinery. It also shows you your pollution cloud on the map as a reddish discoloration (you may want to bring up the map then tap alt a few times to turn it on/off so you can see it). Bugs don't generally attack until your stink cloud expands over to their nests or where their spawned bugs wander.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

duckfarts posted:

I have something for Dark Souls 3 because I'm dumb:

- you have to be kindled in order to see other players' summon signs and invite them to your game; if you're not kindled, beat a boss, use an ember, invade, or help someone else using the white soapstone

On that note, there's a spell (Guidance?) that's description says it lets you see other players summoning signs without being embered. It disappointingly is very literal in that you can now see their signs, but you can't actually summon them. So maybe you shouldn't spend an hour and a half grinding Faith to get that spell because it will only disappoint you. Not that that happened to me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I got the HD collection on steam, so does anyone have anything for Final Fantasy X-2? There's literally not an entry for it on the wiki, which surprised me.

Also whoever wrote this about FFX

quote:

Don't use Yuna. Summons are a waste of time and mana.

was high, because summons literally don't cost mana. Each of the summons has a unique ability that is free to use, the most noteworthy of which is Bahamut, whose ability is literally one of the best things in the game. It breaks the 9999 damage limit automatically, targets all enemies on the field (the only non-overdrive way of hitting multiple people at once is Ultima, and you get Bahamut way before you're getting that), does more damage than drat near anything else you have and is free.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
For FFX, I found this faq from gamefaqs to be pretty good about telling you very little about what's coming except for things you might miss (like those stupid Al Bhed dictionaires)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/643146-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/69409