Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mayor McCheese posted:

hahaha, what is this about?

Oh you'll see. You will see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vadun posted:

Anything for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment? I've played a bit of 1 when I was younger, and a decent amount of 3 and 4.

Feel free to cheat battles in whatever emulator you're using because they're super slow and really not fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

iirc Job Sickness was actually in the original. Of course, this means that they simply opted not to remove it :pseudo:

Nope. In the original game you got Capacity Points for every battle and you'd spend those to change jobs, with it costing less to change back to a job the more you used it. FF3DS dropped it and introduced job sickness. Both are bad, but the DS system is worse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Any reason to use generics?

Sage is insanely good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Like, I tried playing the game against AI's it suggests you do, and it looked like it still put me in a match with players, and not the skirmish either. I might be mistaken though.

Right, yeah. "Play with AI" is a human team vs AI. If you want to gently caress around, set up a custom game and add AIs as you wish. They're..okay, but not really a good example of actual players, but it will help you get a grasp on how to play characters and the maps.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, that's your best bet honestly. Mystery Heroes in the arcade menu isn't a bad way to try things out, either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Picked up a digital copy of that Jak and Daxter collection yesterday. Anything I should know as I've never played them before other than be glad I didn't pay full price for them each back in the day.

Nothing much really - the ending you get for getting all the Power Orbs in J&D leads directly into Jak 2 and it's not really much more effort to get the remaining ones after you get what you need for the final boss.

Jak 2's difficulty is utter bullshit in some places, prepare for pain.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lorini posted:

Any thoughts on classes for Disagaea 5? I know the game defines grind, but there are so many classes and I was wondering which I should either definitely get or definitely not get. Thanks.

It's not a huge deal due to reincarnation, but Sage is insanely powerful, especially in Item World.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've just started Phantasy Star IV, the first time playing this series. Any tips for a Nintendo kid? I'm a few hours in and I've died for the first time. Not sure if I've got a firm grasp of the skills and battle system.

I'd probably look up a guide for the combo skills and make macros for the ones you like.
Pure casters can just equip two shields with no real downside.
Healing spells won't affect Androids.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

3 was the bad one, right? What's 4 like?

Even worse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

homewrecker posted:

Anything for Yakuza Kiwami? I see the wiki has a page for Yakuza 1 but I'm not sure how much of it is still applicable.

Make sure to buy the Essence of Extreme for each style as soon as you can - bosses will throw up an aura and begin rapidly recharging health, switch to that colour's style and do a HEAT action on them to stop it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any mod for Tales of Berseria to really knock down settings? I can play Sniper Elite 4 seemingly fine but Tales From Berseria seems to run slow enough to be painful while still being technically playable.

Probably SpecialK/TBFix: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/4/2741975115064708377/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of, I recently picked that title up and I've got a question myself. I really enjoyed DQ 10 and particularly its job system, so I was a bit disappointed when I learned that DQ11 doesn't have something like that. I haven't gotten the chance to try it yet, but I hear there's at least a skill system of sorts. What's worth knowing about it and what, in particular, is worth aiming for on a first playthrough?

It doesn't suuuuper matter because respeccing is easy and cheap (and an option at all unlike 8 which let you bone yourself), but Erik's knife tree in particular gives him some extremely good muderin' skills.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

but DO NOT expect something comparable to DQ10 in terms of character building.

I don't think many people here have played the Japan only DQ MMO, so no worries there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Anything for Disgaea 5?

Off the top of my head - unlock the Cheat Shop early on, use it to adjust things as you want, you get more capacity each chapter.

Sage (get Magic Knight to rank 4, Professor to rank 2 - MK is from Fighter rank 2 & Mage rank 3 , Professor is from Gunner and Maid rank 2) is extremely excellent for rear end-blasting through Item World and grinding maps when you get to post-game, but are also pretty strong outside of that niche.

Also some of the squads are out and out way better than others - namely Interrogation, Innocent Aid, Hunter and Item Adventure.

Other than that the standard sorta Disgaea stuff applies - don't worry too much about equipment until the end-game/post-game, level still matters most.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

FWIW, I wouldn't mind that much if it you did do the Baldurk thing and put in a Project Wonderful ad or two. They're well-behaved and very unobtrusive. The LP Archive isn't really any worse for it.

Project Wonderful closed up shop back in August.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything else for Dragon Quest Heroes 1 not said in the wiki? Thoughts on characters or grinding?

You shouldn't need to grind until the post game where Psaro will take you to goddamned school if you aren't up to snuff, at least as far as I remember. I generally tried to keep up with the side quests but I dunno how much difference that made.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tylana posted:

Anything for Titanfall 2 ? Just the singleplayer stuff, poking it because it was free on PS+, but wiki seems a nope.

EDIT : 'Just play it, no gotchas' is also useful info as a reminder

Much like Warframe, you have a passive to enemies missing you when you're wallrunning and stuff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything to know for Steambot Chronicles?

There's a really really obvious route split mid-way through, it's probably worth making a save for it.

Uh..that's all I can really think of, other than I don't think you can get the pirate captain lady to clean your ears for you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

From memory it's mostly for flavour and maybe how characters like Connie think of you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jade Rider posted:

Anything for Phantasy Star Online 2, since it's coming to PC soon?

The thread has good tips and people who will gladly offer advice https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887877

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

I'm playing on the PC and haven't really looked into DLC. Are any in particular worth it?

Ignis' is very neat, Prompto's is interesting, Gladio's is uhh eh.

I'd beat the game before doing any of them, especially Iggy's.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Anything for God Eater 3? Explain things like I’m a an idiot who has never played a hunting game for very long or while very sober.

Quick Devour is a godsend for keeping Burst Mode up or quickly entering Lv1 Burst

Using Burst Arts (even if you hate that particular Art) unlocks more Burst Arts and Burst Art Effects after some use, so experiment a little to find what you like

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I decided to try out God Eater: Resurrection and the sequel since I apparently had these from an earlier sale. I have a lot of fun with it but I wouldn´t mind some handy pointers regarding weapons and skills for both games since the entry on the website is pretty short.

Always bring Kanon Daiba if you can.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

:aaaaa:

Fuuuck, English version of a game I've been waiting forever for and of course it's on a system I have absolutely no desire to get :smithicide:
I don't know the new dev/publisher, anyone know if there's a chance of a PC port later on?

Very unlikely.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

This is maybe kind of a strange ask, but I'm looking more for opinions than tips.

I've been on a 3D platformer kick lately, and I've never played a Ratchet & Clank game. Is the PS4 remake/reboot/reimagining/movie tie-in/whatever fine? I have seen wildly mixed reports but I don't know how much of the bad reviews are legit grievances or just mad it isn't a perfect 1:1 of the first game.

It's very good yeah.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Several of its attack abilities involve throwing beans at people so pigeons flock towards them.

bird up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I'm about to finish up No More Heroes and I'm going to start No More Heroes 2 and just want to know what changes I should expect.

No open world, 8-bit pastiche minigames instead of the odd jobs and Dark Step is harder. Along with the new beam katana types (like Duel Wield), that..should be it? There's nothing you need to know in advance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm starting Outward and it definitely seems like a game worth puzzling out for yourself, but are there any particularly stupid/enraging traps or gotchas that I should be aware of? The wiki page is handy but quite bare.

blackguy32 posted:

There is a mission down the line that you need to take care of in like 20days, or else Cierzo gets destroyed. I don't think the mission starts until you join a faction though.

I am also interested, if anyone has any more tips - the game's kinda daunting

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A lot of this is opinion so I don't know if it belongs on the wiki in a cleaned-up fashion, but hope it helps!

Oh, definitely, thank ye

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

does anyone have any tips for Sucking Dick in the Big Shed please? ASAP

Always use protection, you don't want to get a status ailment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Anything for the new Monster Hunter, besides the usual Monster Hunter stuff?

Crafting/upgrading 8 of a weapon will prompt Utsushi to give you a switch skill for it after your next quest. He kinda words it like it's because you used that weapon type a lot, but it's not. The rest of the switch skills are from village/hub progression.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Play posted:

Are the other characters any fun to play as, anyways? Seems like Alphen is probably overall the best fit for the player character

Law is snappy like Jude in Xilia and once you punch enough with him he gets boost auras that make him punch harder and faster until you eat poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Once you get the opportunity to get skill points from the places that give you them upon the first clear, they're account-wide rather than per character, so if you make another character, you can get a head start.

This also means you have all your available skill points on a class even if it's level 1, so don't forget to spend them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Not sure if they fixed it for the Steam release, but you shouldn't save inside of a puzzle room or else you run the risk of some save file mishap.

That was only a problem for the 3DS version of VLR, the Vita and other ports are fine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It has a M rating in the us and Australia and trying to view it on the Nintendo site asks for your birthdate. The description there on refers to psychological horror several times and at the end says "NOT FOR CHILDREN".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

how…on earth does DDLC even work on the switch :psyduck:

There's a fake OS to interact with, kinda like .hack or the austin powers GBC games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

The more I hear about the Austin Powers GBC game the more intrigued I am

They're..interesting. The Dr Evil one has an Elastomania clone built in and they both do a fake scandisk if you don't "shut down" properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Bystander posted:

* For the story missions, you can only pick the Captain as your playable leader, so it would be smart to get used to their skills as well as building them up faster relative to the others in your party. For free quests, though, anyone is fair game, so if someone seems more interesting for those, you'd probably want them in your party all the time anyway.

You do not have to be the captain for the majority of the story quests, they just have to be in the party.

quote:

* After every boss comes treasure chests. Don't walk away from the game to get a drink or something because you've only 30 seconds to open whatever chests pop up before you can't.

You also get the chests even if the timer runs out, you never lose any items.