Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

CuddleCryptid posted:

2. The only mandatory check in the game is a very hard Shivers check.

Minor note, but this isn't something you need to worry about preparing your build for or anything. There's a ton of sidequests and clothing that can give boosts to this check, to the point where you can easily clear it even with only 1 point in shivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ahobday posted:

This is only mention I found:

But that's for a chain link, which I assume is not what's happening at the start of battle?

The thing at the start of battle just makes everyone start off with higher morale if you get it (or whatever the stat is called, it's been ages since I played the game)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Barudak posted:

Sharla should be dumped from your party ASAP she is the only character whose special ability is "be bad" and the best way to heal bypasses all her mechanics entirely and doesnt require her. She is bad on purpose.

Okay, I’ll admit it’s been a long time since I played the Wii version but unless the switch version changes things this sounds insanely hyperbolic. Sharla is fine and you probably want to rotate everyone in and out of your party for the sake of building affinity.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Last Celebration posted:

I didn’t see anything on the site, so has anyone here played SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambition? I feel really bad at it even though I’ve been playing for a while, like as in, I just realized that the best way to get new roles is to glimmer two different kinds of weapons. Although, feeling like you have no idea what you’re doing is kind of the SaGa experience.

Do I get punished for grinding in this game? A lot of the other ones bump up enemy strength based on how many encounters you’ve had but it would be nice to do some Easy fights to glimmer stuff for my weaker guys and restore LP.

Enemy strength increases as you do more fights, but repeat fights count for a lot less than new ones (and I think repeating the same fight you just did counts even less than that?) so grinding is pretty safe.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

food court bailiff posted:

This is probably not the right place to ask but does anyone know if Super Robot Wars T (the Switch version in particular) has both English and Japanese in a single edition? I’ve seen conflicting info that the “international” edition (with the English cover) doesn’t have Japanese at all, according to some people, while according to others it just goes based off of your user settings (which I know other games do).

There’s two versions of the game: the Japanese release, which only has Japanese, and the South East Asian release, which has Chinese, Korean, and English. No version has both Japanese and English.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Ciaphas posted:

Anything for Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate? General roguelike dungeon stuff (use corridors as bottlenecks, don't be stingy with consumables, etc) I'm familiar with; just this is my first Shiren game.

While the main story gives you a lot of tools to save your gear after death, the game as a whole treats bringing gear into a dungeon as more of a gimmick - of the 10 main postgame dungeons only 2 let you bring items in, and while I don’t remember the numbers for the dungeon house dungeons the ratio is similar there. Don’t feel like you need to grind up an overpowered set of gear unless you want to.

In addition to block pushing puzzles, the statue cave also acts as a tutorial for a lot of the more obscure edge cases in item and trap interactions, so it’s worth going through between runs.

The ingame encyclopedia lists buy and sell prices for all items you’ve seen before, as well as whether you’ve identified them that run. It doesn’t matter too much for the story, since everything except bracelets is auto-id’d there, but it’s very useful in the postgame. For items with charges like staves the encyclopedia just lists the base value for an item with 0 charges - each charge is worth 5% of the item’s base value on top of that.

Other than that, I guess the only thing you can “mess up” is the new item system. The inn lets you create new items with randomized properties, and some dungeons will pick 6 of the new items you’ve created and add them to the drop table. There’s no way to remove items from the list until you hit the limit of 64, so it’s better not to add any bad items to the pool. But it’s not a huge deal if you do, because you can drown them out by adding more good items, and the hardest dungeons don’t allow new items to drop at all so it doesn’t matter what’s in your pool

Edit: I forgot the most important one - when combining words and phrases dark souls style to write a rescue request, you can press left or right to switch pages and see more categories to choose from. Several critical categories, such as onomatopoeia, are hidden this way.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 2, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
In terms of world state I’m pretty sure saving and quitting is identical to just walking back to your house/the dungeon entrance manually. You shouldn’t need to worry about losing anything (aside from your position, obviously)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I realized the page for SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions only has a tip from me when I was still figuring out how things work, so let me replace that with some better info

The game opens with a personality quiz and will suggest a starting character based on that, but if you'd rather decide for yourself the four characters are on a sliding scale of linearity. Balmaint's story is almost entirely linear, with very few opportunities to branch out from the main story. Urpina's story is linear in the first half, but opens up towards the end. Taria's story is a lot more open at the start, and Leonard's story is almost completely non-linear - the entire world map will open up right away, and his only mandatory quests can be finished in under an hour.

Like most SaGa games there's a hidden monster rank that determines how strong the enemies are, which goes up as you fight. It increases a lot slower when you're repeating fights you've already beaten, so grinding is fairly safe. That said, there's rubberbanding in both directions, with your characters growing faster when they're behind the monsters and slower when they're ahead, so grinding is mostly good for catching up a new character, or helping someone switch to a new weapon.

A character's base stats are fixed and will never grow.

The ingame tutorials are very thorough and have pretty much all the info you need about combat mechanics and character growth, including exactly what each stat does and what various monster types are weak to. You can check them at any time, including mid-battle.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Lizard Wizard posted:

I would like info on Dokapon Kingdom please.

Some random tips off the top of my head

- A single run through the story mode will take 15+ hours depending on player count and how fast people play, adjust your expectations accordingly.
- If you (or other players) are the sort of person who really does get mad irl about Mario Party, Dokapon offers even more ways to deliberately screw over other players and a significantly longer time investment, so... try to be a mature adult who doesn't get mad at videogames
- You'll unlock an additional class after mastering any combo of the two starting classes.
- Most of your net worth comes from the towns you own, and towns from later continents are worth dramatically more than ones on early continents, so don't panic if it looks like someone gets a massive lead early on. Spending a whole continent without getting any towns is not a problem so long as you continue leveling up.
- After dying you'll revive at the last church you visited, so it's helpful to try to visit the church on the new continent asap
- If you're trying to use magic as your main attack, don't assume the most expensive attack magic is the best (unfortunately there's no easy way to check whether a spell scales well with int or not, but generally the straightforward attacks are better)
- Make sure to spread out your stats - someone with balanced HP/Def/Atk will easily beat someone who put everything into Attack

Honestly I think the game is pretty fun, although I guess you need to be playing with people who have the right mindset.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Foul Fowl posted:

what kind of game is la mulana? i always thought it was a bit like spelunky or maybe the other way around but maybe that's totally off base

It’s a metroidvania with a lot of emphases on environmental puzzles and secrets.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Bhodi posted:

second if you do mulitplayer their character is permanently in your party and is part of the save and can’t removed or swapped out, not even at camp. because so much of the game is based on character interactions and story, i highly recommend any additional people you pick create as one of the premades as a party member so you can get that. you can still respec them immediately and at your whim so their starting class doesn’t matter.

It probably depends on how many people you're playing with, but at least in a 2 player game I think it's totally fine to use two custom party members. The people at camp still get full exp, there's little to no competition for gear, and you can go back to camp and swap party members out anywhere outside of combat, so it's easy to rotate people out and still play with everyone.

The bit about human players being permanent party members is important though. You can't have a friend just drop into your game briefly, you'll want separate single player and multiplayer campaigns.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Keep your health topped up. This isn't a game with combat where you save your healing items for when you need them.

No, it's fine actually, you can just -

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Something that isn't immediately apparent is when you take fatal damage you still have time to heal

Uh, do that. Go ahead and save your health items until you need them, no point healing up in advance when sleep is a free heal and you might not take any damage before then.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Rockman Reserve posted:

One question I had though is why items sometimes have more than one number as a level, separated by commas. There’s a lot I’m figuring out as I go on but I’m still like less than two weeks in and that has me stumped.

That's because you have a stack of items that are different levels - the game still lets you group them together but it tracks the level of each item individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Rockman Reserve posted:

And this is a loving long shot here but anything for Ultimate ADOM Caverns of Chaos on Switch? By god what a buggy piece of poo poo but having a nice big roguelike on Switch is too tempting to pass up.

Please for your own sake get one of the Shiren games on switch instead.