Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

CloseFriend posted:

Suikoden I
· Keep Riou leveled up with your party and in your party as often as possible. There's a fight you get in where only he participates, and if he's underleveled you're hosed.

I know I have more of these, but they're just not coming to me. Any other takers?

You mean Pahn, right? Riou's the official name of the main character from Suikoden II.

And it takes like five minutes to level up characters who are really far behind, so if you know when that fight's coming up, you can just build him up and sharpen his weapon then. That's what I did.

Edit: Unless it's possible to save right before that fight when you don't have the option of leaving to level up, which is something I hadn't considered, and this would be good advice. Nevermind.

the entire Suikoden series, Valkyrie Profile, Tactics Ogre, and Hoshigami
* Play the entire game pouring over a guide, so you don't accidentally miss someone/something and have to replay the entire loving game to get the best ending.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Will I be missing out on any plot or anything if I play Shadow Hearts: From the New World without first playing Shadow Hearts: Covenant?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Please tell me if there are any dead ends (parts where you can lock yourself out of winning and not know it) in the following adventure games: Sanitarium, Personal Nightmare, all of the Tex Murphy games

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Rollersnake posted:

Please tell me if there are any dead ends (parts where you can lock yourself out of winning and not know it) in the following adventure games: Sanitarium, Personal Nightmare, all of the Tex Murphy games

Didn't get an answer to this. Can someone help me with one of these?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Panic Restaurant posted:

Bit of an oldie, but what should I know before starting up the original King's Quest?

It's possible to get stuck in an unwinnable situation, though not as easily as some of the later games. Most importantly, if you're robbed by the dwarf, just reload. Also, you don't need to guess the gnome's name right to win—though doing so gets you more points. Which is good, because if you're playing the original release of the game, it's basically impossible without looking it up.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 23, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
What I basically want is to know if it's possible to screw yourself out of victory and not know it in any given classic adventure game, particularly the ones on GoG. Early exposure to the King's Quest series has left me with an unwillingness to play adventure games unless I'm sure I'm not going to have to start the game over because I missed something obscure.

But for starters, how about The Journeyman Project 2?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, traumatized-by-King's-Quest buddy. :(:respek::(

Don't let it sour you on the genre, while Sierra was cranking out shitheaps like KQ, Lucasarts was making good games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

Oh, it hasn't soured me on the genre—Day of the Tentacle is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm the biggest fan of the Broken Sword series I know. It's just that with adventures from developers other than LucasArts, Sierra, and a few others, I don't know what to expect, and I like to play games with as few spoilers as possible.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Herobotic posted:

On this same note, should one have a perfect Suikoden 1 save before beginning this game, as to make sure to get the cross-over characters? Is it worth it?

You don't need a perfect save, just a complete one. Just use whatever you've got, but do use something.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I need some beginners' advice for Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. I haven't previously played Neverwinter Nights 2 or the first one, and just picked up 2 because Storm of Zehir sounds like the sort of RPG I want right now.

Before entering the hold at the beginning of the game, it says my party needs to be level 3. It gives me the option of auto-leveling but says things might end up distibuted not how I want them. The alternative would be to level them up manually, and I assume that means in other scenarios?

Also I found out how to edit the game to increase the number of members I can add to my party. Would I be breaking anything if I bumped this up to 5 or 6? I understand the original intent was for a party of 4 original characters + 2 plot characters, but I'd really like to use more of my original characters instead, and allow myself to make more specialized characters.

Also, is a Druid just as viable a healer as a Cleric?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Abugadu posted:

How's about Suikoden III? I think I read that you can't miss the 108 stars, but other than that, are there any things to watch out for? Any gamebreakers on offense like in V?

There are a few stars you can permanently miss out on in Geddoe's Ch. 3 Chapter 5 during a part where you're controlling Geddoe, and I believe they're the only ones in the game. Without spoiling too much, it comes down to a fight or flight decision and you need to not flee regardless of how much the game makes it seem like it's not going to progress until you do.

Also prioritize Thomas's storyline as it's through it that you get your castle, and you want to give Thomas first dibs on recruitable characters as he needs them more than any of the three main PCs at first (you can't share party members between protagonists). Thomas's storyline opens up once you've completed either 1 chapter of Geddoe, 2 chapters of Chris, or 3 chapters of Hugo.

Also, personal opinion, but I feel the overall story works better if you play Hugo Ch. 1 before Chris Ch. 1. It doesn't change anything, just the order in which you see certain events.

Edit: Fixed some errors. It's been a while since I've played Suikoden 3.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 29, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Palleon posted:

Other than "don't play it", does anyone have any advice for Record of Agarest War (the one for download on PSN, not Zero)? It looks like, if you get past the creepiness of it, it could be an interesting game, so I'm going to give it a shot.

From Hardcore Gaming 101:

"A key point of the game is the ability to capture monsters. To do this you need to learn the Capture Skill. To learn this skill you first need to know what it is, and to know what it is you need to own the Essential Arts IV book. This can be traded at the Guild for 75 TP, which is an extremely precious currency you earn from battles. You'll also need gold - except it's physically impossible to earn enough gold through battles to complete the game. So every so often you need to spend 25 TP buying a Vessel of Life to be sold for 50k gold. Once you have the book you can research the Capture Skill at the guild, requiring 3000 gold, plus a Longhorn, Shotgun and Poison Guard. These items can only be had at the Smithy, who will alchemize them if you bring several items plus more gold.

Before he can alchemize weapons though you need to bring him basic weapons books, so back to the guild to trade them for TP and then to the item store to buy the rest. In fact before anything can be researched or made, you'll need the books for the corresponding items or skills - and there are over 100 books throughout the game. Once the Smithy knows how to make the above items you'll need to bring him the following: iron break, handgun, horn of devilkin x 2, beast claw, bone guard, poison petal, poison needle, plus 1750G. Some items can be bought, others are item drops, while a few have to in themselves be alchemized, assuming you have the right books. Then it's back to the guild to trade for your Capture Skill. Except once you've got the skill you discover it's useless without another skill which reduces enemy health to only 1HP, and that can only be had through the exact same rigmarole as above. Cue uncontrollable screaming."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Tyma posted:

Inspired by watching far too much Game Center CX, and in-spite of terrible past experiences with 3D Zelda games, I've finally got around to trying out Legend Of Zelda : Wind Waker, and I'm really enjoying it, and determined to beat it without glancing at an FAQ. Any advice besides "take your time and enjoy it" (Which seems to be the only thing mentioned so far in the thread)?

It should be noted that most 3D Zelda games end with me hitting a wall, leaving the game for a few days, and then coming back to hit my head against the wall until I realise that I'm not enjoying the game at all, and playing through Link To The Past to take my mind off it.

Don't collect rupee treasure when you have a full wallet. This will save you a lot of frustration toward the endgame.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Is Two Worlds II worth buying for the multiplayer? Would it be fun with just two players, and how many hours of gameplay would I be looking at?

Spermando posted:

You'll be asked a question when you start a new game. Say that you played MGS1 and loved it.

I'm going to disagree with this if he's new to MGS, due to the difficulty of the Tanker chapter if you're new to MGS's gameplay. I started playing MGS with MGS2 and loving hated the Tanker. I didn't know that that prompt meant I could skip it, or that the Plant is designed to be the beginning of the game for new players and has a proper tutorial.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 11, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think this got lost on the last page. Can anyone answer my Two Worlds II questions?

Rollersnake posted:

Is Two Worlds II worth buying for the multiplayer? Would it be fun with just two players, and how many hours of gameplay would I be looking at?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Mr E posted:

I just ordered quite a bit of games from Goozex because I had a ton of points on there. Anything I should know for the following?

Suikoden 3

Do Thomas's storyline as early as possible as it's through that that you get your castle. Thomas unlocks after Ch.1 of Geddoe, Ch. 2 of Chris, or Ch. 3 of Hugo. Also give Thomas first dibs when it comes to recruiting characters as he needs them the most.

You get an extra chapter (that you really, really want) if you manage to recruit all 108 characters. Unlike other Suikoden games, there aren't a lot of permanently missable ones, but there is a major exception to this rule in Ch. 5 during a part where you're controlling Geddoe. There is a fight or flight decision that the game seems to indicate is a "but thou must" situation that actually isn't—choose to stay and fight every time the choice comes up.

Most if not all of the storyline battles you're "supposed" to lose are actually winnable, and the ensuing scenes change slightly to reflect your victory. There is no real reason to do this, but drat if it isn't satisfying.

You really should play Suikoden 1 and/or 2 first, if only because the Big Shocking Reveal isn't if you start with 3, as you won't have any history with the character it involves.

Also, the backtracking is loving terrible, and there is nothing you can do about it until Ch. 4. It is ultimately worth putting up with, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 13, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Capsaicin posted:

The "Big Shocking Reveal" is neither of those three words, since playing 1 and 2 make it very, very obvious who is behind that mask.

I know, but I still think that's better than starting with 3 and not knowing who it is at all. "Former party member is actually the main villain" twists are fun, especially when they span multiple games.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Does it matter in which order I play the Guild Wars trilogy, for plot or gameplay reasons? The settings of the second and third just seem more appealing and I'd like to skip ahead if there's no real reason not to.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Anybody have any tips for Xenosaga? The in-game tutorial is really vague and unhelpful—for example, I still have no idea what the gently caress boosting is supposed to do or why I should use it. Also if anybody could alert me to any interesting permanently missable stuff with minimal spoilers, that would be nice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Two Worlds II: How easy is the multiplayer to jump into without having played the single player? Does it ease you into it, or should you play the single player first to get a feel for the game mechanics?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Can I play Peace Walker before MGS3, or would that ruin either game for me? Also what's the challenge in MGS3 & Peace Walker relative to MGS2, so I know what difficulty level to them play on?

For context, I played MGS2 on Easy and breezed through it as long as I had the tranq pistol to use as a crutch. Arsenal Gear I still had quite a bit of trouble with and I died a lot during naked espionage action and to the Metal Gear Ray fight.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I haven't bought it yet, but I just remembered La Mulana II exists.

I never got farther than 1/3-1/2 of the way through the first game. I don't want to resume one of my previous saves because I don't remember where I was and what I'd already done in any of them, and I really don't want to start over a fourth time. Can I just jump into La Mulana II, or is there important background knowledge from the first game I need for puzzles or anything?

Any non-obvious ways you can gently caress yourself over like reading that one tablet twice in the first game?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's a sprawling, disorienting game full of obscure secrets. The tablet's location is such that you're likely to stumble upon it before you have an idea of what your actual objective in that area of the game is. In most games, it makes sense to do the thing you're told not to do, to see what happens. Also, after you do it, it's really not clear what, if anything, it did. I didn't realize the effect was "permanently make the entire game harder" for a couple of hours, and I had no saves from before I activated the tablet. And at least at the time I first played it, there was no way to undo this.

Edit: Think I won't get La Mulana II after all, since I am apparently still mad at the first game years later.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 25, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yeah, I don't mind severely punishing the player for making a bad decision, but "severely punish the player for making a bad decision, but don't make it explicitly clear that it's a bad decision, or that they are punished" is a page straight out of the Infocom and Sierra playbooks, and should have died with those developers. Or even years before, since it ruined a lot of otherwise great games.

It's not quite a dead man walking scenario, but it's such a dick move that even in a game as retro as La Mulana, I wasn't expecting it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Pierzak posted:

There is a tablet saying "do not read this tablet again". If you read this, it changes to "now you're hosed". How much more explicit does it need to be? Do you need a special message saying "WARNING: HARD MODE ACTIVATED!"?

I should know I'm hosed immediately, from the gameplay, not because a message tells me I am. It's not unreasonable to expect it's misdirection, or that reading the tablet is actually necessary for progress, and other games would absolutely do that sort of thing. Hell, La Mulana specifically seems like exactly the sort of game that would do that sort of thing.

PMush Perfect posted:

(Also, the Steam achievement gives it away immediately.)

It's a real shame the Wii didn't have achievements then, I guess.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe you're taking this a bit too personally. Even before I ever played the game, I had heard people saying "so yeah, it's basically a lot like I Wanna Be The Guy" and with a reputation like that, you kinda have to expect it to be shamelessly cruel to the player when you're going into it, because that's what that genre does.

I get that you're still pissed at yourself for falling for it anyway, but it's just a game.

Haha, yeah. There was a lot I enjoyed about La Mulana, but talking about it brought back memories of all the bullshit, even beyond this one thing, and considering how obviously Not Mad I am at a game I haven't played in years, I probably don't really want more of that right now.