Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't bought it yet, but I just remembered La Mulana II exists.

I never got farther than 1/3-1/2 of the way through the first game. I don't want to resume one of my previous saves because I don't remember where I was and what I'd already done in any of them, and I really don't want to start over a fourth time. Can I just jump into La Mulana II, or is there important background knowledge from the first game I need for puzzles or anything?

Any non-obvious ways you can gently caress yourself over like reading that one tablet twice in the first game?
There is no background info needed from the first game, other than "some Indiana Jones MSX bullshit happened".

That same tablet is still in there in LM2 in a different spot at the very start of the game but it's in the same basic situation where you have to go out of your way to activate it. Besides that, I don't think there is anything permanently missable, though you can make a certain part of the game way harder than it needs to be if you activate a certain device that changes a level (The Hall of Malice) with no alternate exits unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rollersnake posted:

Any non-obvious ways you can gently caress yourself over like reading that one tablet twice in the first game?
By La Mulana standards, that tablet was pretty clearly signposted. Not the game's fault y'all can't resist opening Pandora's box. :shrug:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's a sprawling, disorienting game full of obscure secrets. The tablet's location is such that you're likely to stumble upon it before you have an idea of what your actual objective in that area of the game is. In most games, it makes sense to do the thing you're told not to do, to see what happens. Also, after you do it, it's really not clear what, if anything, it did. I didn't realize the effect was "permanently make the entire game harder" for a couple of hours, and I had no saves from before I activated the tablet. And at least at the time I first played it, there was no way to undo this.

Edit: Think I won't get La Mulana II after all, since I am apparently still mad at the first game years later.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 25, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

It's a sprawling, disorienting game full of obscure secrets. The tablet's location is such that you're likely to stumble upon it before you have an idea of what your actual objective in that area of the game is. In most games, it makes sense to do the thing you're told not to do, to see what happens. Also, after you do it, it's really not clear what, if anything, it did. I didn't realize the effect was "permanently make the entire game harder" for a couple of hours, and I had no saves from before I activated the tablet. And at least at the time I first played it, there was no way to undo this.

Edit: Think I won't get La Mulana II after all, since I am apparently still mad at the first game years later.

In the original game it's true, I accidentally beat it on hard mode without knowing. On the remake though it's obvious you did something bad because you're likely to insta-die from the monsters that'll spawn in the room.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It literally says "read this twice and you'll be cursed forever" on there. If you didn't see some serious consequences coming after how that game treats you up until that point, you really have only yourself to blame.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

It literally says "read this twice and you'll be cursed forever" on there. If you didn't see some serious consequences coming after how that game treats you up until that point, you really have only yourself to blame.

No it doesn't, at least according to the wikis. It's easy to assume (especially in the original where the effect wasn't as pronounced at first) that the extra monsters in the room is the only thing that happens.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it does in La-Mulana 2. I can't find a screenshot right now and I maybe I'm just making assumptions that it said the same thing in the first one, but "seriously don't read this twice or very bad things will happen" seemed fairly straightforward and like the kind of thing you don't do without backing up your save.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, I don't mind severely punishing the player for making a bad decision, but "severely punish the player for making a bad decision, but don't make it explicitly clear that it's a bad decision, or that they are punished" is a page straight out of the Infocom and Sierra playbooks, and should have died with those developers. Or even years before, since it ruined a lot of otherwise great games.

It's not quite a dead man walking scenario, but it's such a dick move that even in a game as retro as La Mulana, I wasn't expecting it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it does in La-Mulana 2. I can't find a screenshot right now and I maybe I'm just making assumptions that it said the same thing in the first one, but "seriously don't read this twice or very bad things will happen" seemed fairly straightforward and like the kind of thing you don't do without backing up your save.

But in La-Mulana 2 you haven't run into any bullshit yet when you first find that tablet, so if you're new to La-Mulana you'd have no reason to think it's a big gently caress you. Heck, if you're coming in with a not-LM mindset it might even sound like the type of tablet you gotta read to unleash the curse and actually start the game. Unless it also super-kills you instantly if you're not prepared, I haven't actually tried to read it in LM2.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Yeah, I don't mind severely punishing the player for making a bad decision, but "severely punish the player for making a bad decision, but don't make it explicitly clear that it's a bad decision, or that they are punished" is a page straight out of the Infocom and Sierra playbooks, and should have died with those developers. Or even years before, since it ruined a lot of otherwise great games.

It's not quite a dead man walking scenario, but it's such a dick move that even in a game as retro as La Mulana, I wasn't expecting it.

There is a tablet saying "do not read this tablet again". If you read this, it changes to "now you're hosed". How much more explicit does it need to be? Do you need a special message saying "WARNING: HARD MODE ACTIVATED!"?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean, "don't read the tablet twice" is already in the page tips, to be fair, so you kind of have a point. But calling it Sierra-level fuckery is a pretty big leap.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But in La-Mulana 2 you haven't run into any bullshit yet when you first find that tablet, so if you're new to La-Mulana you'd have no reason to think it's a big gently caress you. Heck, if you're coming in with a not-LM mindset it might even sound like the type of tablet you gotta read to unleash the curse and actually start the game. Unless it also super-kills you instantly if you're not prepared, I haven't actually tried to read it in LM2.
Maybe I've just been playing too much Dark Souls, because that's basically how the hardmode covenant in DS2 works, too. Touch a tablet, get some blurb about honor and glory, and suddenly an extra New Game cycle is added on top of everything. Makes you careful about touching stuff.

PMush Perfect posted:

I mean, "don't read the tablet twice" is already in the page tips, to be fair, so you kind of have a point. But calling it Sierra-level fuckery is a pretty big leap.
Yeah. I mean, I wasn't specifically expecting it to activate the hard mode, but that's the kind of thing you go "...maybe I'd rather not" about just to be sure. It does at least give you the chance to back out. If you don't, then on your own head it is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

(Also, the Steam achievement gives it away immediately.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Pierzak posted:

There is a tablet saying "do not read this tablet again". If you read this, it changes to "now you're hosed". How much more explicit does it need to be? Do you need a special message saying "WARNING: HARD MODE ACTIVATED!"?

I should know I'm hosed immediately, from the gameplay, not because a message tells me I am. It's not unreasonable to expect it's misdirection, or that reading the tablet is actually necessary for progress, and other games would absolutely do that sort of thing. Hell, La Mulana specifically seems like exactly the sort of game that would do that sort of thing.

PMush Perfect posted:

(Also, the Steam achievement gives it away immediately.)

It's a real shame the Wii didn't have achievements then, I guess.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 26, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe you're taking this a bit too personally. Even before I ever played the game, I had heard people saying "so yeah, it's basically a lot like I Wanna Be The Guy" and with a reputation like that, you kinda have to expect it to be shamelessly cruel to the player when you're going into it, because that's what that genre does.

I get that you're still pissed at yourself for falling for it anyway, but it's just a game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Anyway, it's at the very start of the game (in La-Mulana 2), and not liable to to interfere in your playthrough especially given that you know about it.

I have some issues with LM2 in general but I did find it far more approachable than the original in general, I was able to get through a much larger % of the game without looking stuff up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I should go back to my LM1 playthrough. I got stuck for a while then got busy with a move.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe you're taking this a bit too personally. Even before I ever played the game, I had heard people saying "so yeah, it's basically a lot like I Wanna Be The Guy" and with a reputation like that, you kinda have to expect it to be shamelessly cruel to the player when you're going into it, because that's what that genre does.

I get that you're still pissed at yourself for falling for it anyway, but it's just a game.

Haha, yeah. There was a lot I enjoyed about La Mulana, but talking about it brought back memories of all the bullshit, even beyond this one thing, and considering how obviously Not Mad I am at a game I haven't played in years, I probably don't really want more of that right now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like a sensible decision, yeah.

I'm just glad it didn't any antigravity Giant Cherries.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
La Mulana is an evil game and it's completely understandable for anyone to still harbour rage when discussing it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A Red Dead Redemption 2 tip that I don't think I've seen in the thread (which is probably pointed out in the in-game guide but I was too dumb/inattentive so it took me way too long to figure out):

-Some smaller animals don't give you crafting materials by default when you pick up the carcass. Select them in your satchel and you will have the option to "Dismantle" the carcass. Not every small animal gives you crafting mats, but this is how you get all the small bird feathers (e.g. waxwing, songbird, cardinal, etc.)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

juliuspringle posted:

Yep that's the one. But I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Fallout 4 and a couple other non Dying LIght things so I've been dicking with the app to build up a surplus of crafting materials I can give myself so I can just run around and have fun in the game and worry less about the crafting stuff.

What I did was get far enough into the plot to unlock airdrops and constantly run after them. You can stockpile tons of medkits and flares that way.

Also play it cool if you can. It's fun to gently caress around in that game.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

What I did was get far enough into the plot to unlock airdrops and constantly run after them. You can stockpile tons of medkits and flares that way.

Also play it cool if you can. It's fun to gently caress around in that game.

I'm treating it like Dead Island 2.

Here's a tip for Agents of Mayhem. REALLY lower your expectations, this is basically a single player MOBA that really wants you to think it's a Saints Row game. The Boss would murder someone over this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

I'm treating it like Dead Island 2.

Here's a tip for Agents of Mayhem. REALLY lower your expectations, this is basically a single player MOBA that really wants you to think it's a Saints Row game. The Boss would murder someone over this.

I'll do you one better; Once you've beaten the tutorial, you've seen literally everything the game has to offer gameplay-wise.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is Final Fantasy VI worth playing nowadays? Anything I should know about it?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 26, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Totally is. Pretty self explanatory too and the wiki's got you covered for the things that aren't. Although it's missing one thing I'd consider pretty crucial, depending:

- if you're playing the original SNES version, Relm's Sketch ability is bugged to the point where it can accidentally freeze the game or erase all data, and is probably best left alone altogether. Version 1.0 has the bug, version 1.1 is safe, as are future ports and rereleases.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It is 100% worth playing. I would say the only real thing to know is that when you're given the option to wait for someone while a timer counts down, wait until the timer runs out; don't jump early, literally let it run to zero.

Also, suplex the train.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 26, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

You should absolutely play it, it is one of the best FF games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I suppose it's also worth mentioning that you should make sure to always have people equipped with Espers when you get them, as that is a primary method of stat growth and spell learning.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I liked FF5 more. The job-based gameplay just makes it more enjoyable. It's really a far more shallow game plot-wise, but if you aren't into the grand epics that late Final Fantasy games insist you should like, then getting that one instead isn't a bad idea either.

Or, better yet, get both and form your own opinion. They're dirt-cheap even bundled together.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just started Horizon Zero Dawn, and the wiki seems fine, but I was wondering if there's a specific point in the game when I should go to the DLC area. I'm planning on taking my time with the game, if that matters.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Twitch posted:

I just started Horizon Zero Dawn, and the wiki seems fine, but I was wondering if there's a specific point in the game when I should go to the DLC area. I'm planning on taking my time with the game, if that matters.

It's basically late to post game content. The enemies there are on the tougher side, plus the new weapons you can get from there will trivialize the rest of the game if you get them too early.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Selane posted:

It's basically late to post game content. The enemies there are on the tougher side, plus the new weapons you can get from there will trivialize the rest of the game if you get them too early.

I think you're mixed up. The ropecaster is in the main game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I liked FF5 more. The job-based gameplay just makes it more enjoyable. It's really a far more shallow game plot-wise, but if you aren't into the grand epics that late Final Fantasy games insist you should like, then getting that one instead isn't a bad idea either.

Or, better yet, get both and form your own opinion. They're dirt-cheap even bundled together.
It's absolutely a good idea to play both V and VI, yes.

IV to X is kinda the golden age of Final Fantasy, as far as I'm concerned. Before that it's too oldschool, after that it's, as you say, too epic, and the gameplay takes a hit. IV is right on the edge of being too retro, X is right on the edge of being too overwrought. And VIII is something you'll have to make up your own mind on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

IV to X is kinda the golden age of Final Fantasy, as far as I'm concerned. Before that it's too oldschool, after that it's, as you say, too epic, and the gameplay takes a hit. IV is right on the edge of being too retro, X is right on the edge of being too overwrought.
I'll admit rose-colored glasses may play a part there, because those games were part of my childhood, but I really agree with you there. I'd even say X gets a far worse reputation than it deserves. I had real fun playing it, a lot more than with perennial nerd favourite FF 7. The protagonist is a real doofus, but the setting is really beautiful and unique and the story very personal and intimate - there isn't any immediate world-saving going on and it is really far more about family and finding your own place in the world. It's fairly linear, but gives you just enough freedom that it doesn't really feel that constraining anyway.

Honestly, they're all worth getting. Even 8 isn't so bad for crazy-rear end time travel plot, because Squall isn't actually supposed to be cool, he's supposed to come across as a scared child soldier trying far too hard to be cool and distanced. They're all fun, in their own ways.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 27, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In what world does FFX has anywhere close to a bad reputation, it's one of the highest-rated and universally liked JRPGs of all time.

Goons linking tiduslaugh.mp4 every time it comes up isn't really representative on the overall opinion on that game, even VII gets more flak than X since it hasn't aged as gracefully.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 27, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX was a fantastic JRPG that laid the groundwork for the high watermark of the series and indeed video games as a whole, Final Fantasy X-2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kanfy posted:

In what world does FFX has anywhere close to a bad reputation, it's one of the highest-rated and universally liked JRPGs of all time.
Really? I mean, it was highly rated, but I remember a lot of players very vocally disliking it back in the day, so that's kind of surprising to hear. A lot of it was the same things people disliked FF13 for, just on a lesser scale.

It's good to hear that people have taken a more relaxed stance on it since, though. I never really thought it was as bad as people were making it out to be and I have fond memories of playing it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX is like the third best-selling FF of all time and widely beloved by pretty much everyone. The Something Awful forums, which contain all 12 people who have played Alpha Protocol, are not the most representative segment of the gaming population at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the last time I played it was back in 2002 or so, I'm not really basing that on any goon opinions. I've been thinking of it as an "apparently flawed, but still pretty fun" game based on what people were saying back then. I haven't really paid any attention since, so I'm glad that I was apparently misinformed there.