Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iroc_dis posted:

Too good to be true?

http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/877986821.html

That's possible if the guy needs the cash bad. He probably had it at $6000 for a couple weeks and didn't get any calls. I had my 05 listed at 6000 for a month (granted it was September in Michigan) and only had about 5-10 people email me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iroc_dis posted:

Yikes, I had never heard of that happening before. That sort of thing doesn't do anything bad for your finances or credit rating or something?

He could have gotten a personal loan from a bank, for say $5000, made a couple payments over the summer, and now just wants his $ back

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Prince posted:

I'm a learner rider, I just got my license after a 2 day course (I'm in Australia). I'm looking at buying my first bike, and have come across a 1984 BMW R65. Its a print ad (so no pics yet) but is in good condition apparently. The asking price is $3800AUD (about $2800USD at the current exchange rate).

- Is this a good price? Its higher than my budget but I can make an allowance for the right bike
- Should I get it checked out mechanically before I buy it?

Thanks

That much $ in the USA would buy you a ~1999 YZF 600R (Thundercat)

Whatever the market is like down there, make sure whatever you get for your first bike, you can turn around and sell quickly, for what you paid for it, when you decide to move up.

Do you have tiered licensing there?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wormil posted:

In my area people ask $1500 by default for any turd that will turn over. If the engine is seized then it'll be $900 FIRM!! SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!!!. If it runs then $4000, even if the bike is ten years old and originally cost only $4000.

Yea, nothing like a 1995 Katana going for $3800 then a 2004 GSXR600 going for $4100

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What do you guys think a 2001 GSXR 1000 would sell for?

Mint condition, basic mods (Yoshimura exhaust, EMS box, ZG screen)

And only 4,800 miles

I personally don't want to offer any more than $4,000, being that it's almost 10 years old, nice shape or not. Am I too far off base?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's an 01 with almost 15,000 miles on it. Over a day left and the bidding is at $5,600

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...A1%7C240%3A1318

Someone will probably come along and offer a similar amount for the one I'm looking at.

MSRP on the new GSXR 1000 is what, $11,500 or $12,000 or something?

If you wait until August, that'll be $9,500 out the door

You should be able to get a 2008-2009 used for $8,500. With > 1,000 miles on it

So let's go from there:

2008/09 - $8,500
2007 $7,500
2006 $7,000
2005 $6,500 (new model)
2004 $6,000
2003 $5,500
2002 $5,000
2001 $4,500

I know you can't just say bike X is worth $500 more than bike Y, because it's a year newer. Also, the tires on this bike are OLD and are going to need replacing. That's $400 right there. I just don't get why someone would pay $6,000 for an 01 when you can get an 04/05 for that price (I've seen them out there)

Bike prices are :psyduck: :psyduck:

I just sold my 2005 636 with 3,900 miles for $5,500. I've seen them sell for cheaper and I got a ton of lowball offers, but someone came up yesterday with the cash, we were both happy, and that was the end of the story.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kdc67 posted:

Suzuki's site is listing MSRP for a brand spanking new '09 at $13,000, $11,500 for '08, and $11,400 for an '07. Ouch.

Roll accessories, tax, and other dealer fees into that...

I've seen year-old Gixxer 600's listed for "payoff" ($10,000)

:a2m:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pr0zac posted:

It was the scariest god drat thing in the world and I knew I'd either kill myself or get myself arrested really, really quickly.

They will never catch you on a liter bike. :ninja:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pr0zac posted:

I had an 07 CBR600RR for about 8 months. It was great around town engine wise. Never felt like I had to wring it to get around or anything. And it would easily lift the front wheel if you gave it too much throttle. Its a noticeable step up from an SV power wise.

Gutless.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

From my reading mags and online reviews it seems the triumph daytona 675 is a pretty good bike if you want more low end in a 600. The only thing is it seems that they are uncomfortable as hell. The CBRs get raves for "feeling like it has a big-bore kit" while being rated most comfortable 600 class bike. And there is the GXSR 750, though I don't know if jumping right on one of those is a wise choice (probably not). The older Kawasaki 636s might be worth looking into as well.

Don't forget bikes like the YZF600R. There's an article that compares the powerbands of the R6, R6S, and 600R. The one with the least peak HP makes quite a bit more power up until 10,000 RPM

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

Z1ks are actually a pretty forgiving literbike. They are definintely very powerful, and not to be underestimated, but the upright seating position with bars, and an engine that builds power, rather than hitting power spikes, it a lot eaiser to ride than you'd expect. You need to have throttle control to ride it comfortably, but it's a very manageable bike. No razor sharp sportbike steering, just a standard with a big engine. It's a really fun bike. It also doesn't make much more power than a modern 600, it just has go from all RPM.

I'm not sure 'forgiving' is the right word. They have 20 hp (or 20%) more horsepower at the tire than a modern 600 (excluding the cheaters like the 636 and 675), gobs more torque, and the upright seating would actually them more wheelie-prone, if it weren't for the taller gearing.

The standard handlebars make them quite a bit easier to ride, though. Nice bikes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

The problem with ebay is:

Yeah...realism in ebay listings is very rare.

People who have nice bikes and can afford to hold out can get good prices for their bikes, but there's a lot of people who make lovely decisions and end up having to sell now and that's when you can snipe some pretty awesome deals.

Ended up selling for $5,389

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130297257137&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jdonz posted:

What are the benefits of the V-Max?

FAST AS gently caress

Well, as fast as supersport 600 from 10 years ago, but it would destroy a Sportster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I went and registered the Sportster, and transferred my old plate and poo poo over.

:argh:

Mother fucker. Paying sales tax on a USED vehicle is the biggest scam in the loving world. Goddamn government. I hate you Michigan.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

talking_head posted:

Will the additional cc's help lug my rear end around with decent acceleration/speed?

On a 500lb bike, it doesn't really matter much if you weigh 70 more lbs than the next guy.

Most bikes are made to be able to ride 2 people+luggage. An 883 HD Sportster, for example, weighs 590lbs or so with a full tank of gas and oil. You can add another 400+ of people and gear before you hit the limit of GVWR or whatever of 1001lbs.

If you were 400lbs, you might want to re-think things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VTNewb posted:

Well, since I can't find a V-max locally I think I may just get myself a sportster. Theres a nice 1200 from 2000 thats white, which is a nice change. It's at a dealer with a warranty, so I'm going to go take a look tomorrow or Saturday.

Get a 2004+

Much better heads, rubber-mounted engine...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wormil posted:

I've never ridden a Sportster but from just sitting on them I imagine they are uncomfortable. I would like to ride one sometime and find out though.

What looks so uncomfortable about them?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

wormil posted:

Not the looks but the way they sit.

Explain more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kynetx posted:

I'm tinkering with the idea of picking up a used bike as a toy. I love the sound of big displacement single-cylinder bikes and want to explore that arena. I like the idea of the simplicity. Outside of the Blast is there anything else I should look at that might be older and therefore cheaper? Dual-sport is not out of the question. As for budget, I have no idea but I'm ok with the idea of fixing something up.

You shouldn't be looking at a Blast at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Guy came to look at my Sportster tonight, and he agreed to come back Friday or Saturday with his truck to come get it. So, it's back to a sportbike for me.

Option 1: Buy my 636 back for less than I sold it to the guy for, and he's only put 1,600 miles on it

Option 2: Find another Hayabusa

Option 3: Buy an RC51 such as this one (and take my chances on a bike I haven't seen in person)

Option 4: ???

Option 5 would have been buy a 2004-ish 600RR or 1000RR because I think they look awesome as gently caress, but used RR prices are retarded.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

600RRs are really cheap out here at the moment...there's a salvage title 07 (theft) for sale on barf for 4300$.

The "practical" side says 600/1000RR (which are fantastic bikes), but the heart says buy the RC51. Besides, you've already owned a supersport 600...may as well try something new :)

What else do you have in mind?

That's my old bike.

Every RR I see around here for $5,000 has either been crashed (or 'knocked over in the driveway') or has 18,000 miles on it. Hell they still want $5-6,000 for a non-banana seat F4i!

I'm not really considering too many other bikes. I had a Haybusa which I really liked. I wasn't huge on how high the pegs were on the ZX6R. I had an FZ1 but didn't like the lack of a fairing on the highway. I've considered an R1 but I've been hosed by Yamaha's second gear before, same goes for an R6 I guess.

There's an 07 ZX6R for sale up here with 2-3,000 miles on it up here, but the 636 has a sizable power advantage over it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Why is 18000 miles an issue? That's nothing.

Engine wise, probably not. But everything else it is. Plus when I can get a bike with < 5,000 miles on it for the same price...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

It seems like the best option 600 wise would be your old 636. If you want to go bigger, I'd buy one of Honda's baby literbikes...the 929 or the 954.

954RR's seem to be rare, and guys still want $5,000 for 929RR's. Gimme a break.

There's an 04 Gixxer (1K) for $6,800 locally! Come on!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

Where the christ do you live? I want to sell bikes there, drat.

I'm planning on listing my 06 ZX6R (salvage) for 4000$ish...At the prices in your area I should be able to ship it out and still make more profit :D

Michigan.

frozenphil posted:

Triumph Daytona 675 should be in that neighborhood with the added bonus of not seeing yourself every time you ride.

Click here for the full 1280x1061 image.

Wouldn't mind one, but seeing one for sale is just as rare as seeing one on the street.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A lot of these kids are selling their bikes for what they owe on them, which sadly can be $10,000 for a 600.

They get the Yamaha credit card, pay full MSRP, make the $79/month payments the first couple times, then the interest rate skyrockets, add in tax and DMV fees, the gear they added in when they bought the bike, a late payment or two...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It looks like I'm going to pick up the 07 ZX6R. I didn't like the color of my old bike, this one is 2 years newer and has even less miles on it.

I'm not looking forward to the 600 instead of the 636 (I guess I'll just run it 500rpm higher and pretend not to notice), but I'm excited about not having to use that horrible LCD tach. Kawi fixed it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That's what, a Dyna? Her old bike was probably a little quicker than that thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Im looking at a 2005 zzr 1200 for 4500 firm from a private seller. Has some scrapes along the right fairing, 5k miles. The guy doesnt ride it, has been collecting dust for past year. Only thing he has done is lube the chain. Good deal or no? My previous bikes are sv650 and fz1. I am 6'5 280lbs and havent had a chance to sit on it yet.

Offer this guy $4,500, or $5,000

http://motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110409&highlight=stickers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

The FZ6 is a bit more touring oriented, but a good all arounder. All the people who I know who have them have loved them, they're just really well rounded bikes.

FZ6 is pretty cool. With the upright seating position, it turns in a wheelie machine if you gear it down a little, just like the FZ1.

God I miss having 998cc of Yamaha power between my legs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zool posted:

I'm thinking of getting a new bike. I want something big and orange, what do you recommend?

KTM anything

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I really hate people who list on Craigslist or eBay and are impossible to get a hold of, return calls, or meet up to make the transaction.

Here's my story:

I find a bike I want. It's about 90 miles away. The bike has been on CL for over a month. I email the guy asking if the bike is black, blue, purple or some other mystery color, because he took pictures of it outside and the blue sky reflects off the bike (I was pretty sure it was black, but wanted to be sure). I also asked the guy if he could email me any other pictures he had, since CL defaults to those little tiny compressed to gently caress pictures.

He replies back:

quote:

yea its black

That day I write back to him, asking again for some pictures, and then ask a couple questions about the bike. I've went and looked at 'mint condition' bikes with dented wheels, patched tires, re-painted tails, and engine cases all scratched up

quote:

Them all the pictures we have. Dad sent them to me, I'll ask him to take a few more. Wont have them for a little bit. Bike is in great condition. Didn't forget to mention any nicks.

Since it's snowing out, I ask the guy if he has a truck and if he'll just bring me the bike. He agrees.

quote:

Yes. The bike is stored at my dad's house. I do have a truck and can bring it down. I am not currently in Michigan, however if you want to call me next week, later in the week well talk about it.

I wasn't doing anything that weekend so email back asking if I can just go up there with the cash, a buddy and a truck, and just get the bike from his dad's house. No response.

I wait a couple days and then call the guy on the phone. He's from this area, he's going to school here, but he was visiting family out of state. He's switching colleges, so he's moving and finishing up some classes or something, so he's real busy. He says he can bring the bike to me not this weekend, but next weekend. Seeing that it's January, I'm not in a real rush. The good news is that he bought the bike and only rode it a couple times, didn't have the time to ride it, and it's always been kept inside his apartment and has 900 miles on it.

I send the guy a text today, asking what day this weekend was going to be best for him, so I could plan my weekend accordingly.

quote:

not sure...im really busy right now and not sure if ill be in town this weekend...ill have to let u nkow when i can get it down there

I understand that worst case scenario, it's going to take this guy 6 hours out of his day to do this deal.

1.5 hours drive to his dads to get the bike
1.5 hours drive back here to bring me the bike
1.5 hours drive his dads truck back to get his car
1.5 hours drive back home

I've offered to drive the guy up to his dads, offered to let him use my ramps to load it into his dads truck, and even to just go up to his dads to go get it by my goddamn self.

In the meantime my old bike is up for sale at a much lower price than I paid for it (but not that much lower to where I'm going to give up on this bike just yet). I'm still looking around and will buy something else if I come across the right deal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah this "The final price that I want for this motorcycle is $4200 US including shipping and handling." makes no sense whatsoever.

:siren: FINAL PRICE :siren:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

This is why you should just buy my 636. No screwing around, just a plane trip and one long rear end ride home :parrot:

Where it is and how much

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Those old SECA's are fairly decent. Rode with a guy that one a few times, he kept up fairly well even when we rocked it up at 120+

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Who's had a 929RR?

Found one with 1500 miles on it, 2000 model year, in storage. Going to call and see what color it is at lunch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Who's had a 929RR?

Found one with 1500 miles on it, 2000 model year, in storage. Going to call and see what color it is at lunch.

Good news: It looks fine.
Bad news: It's at a dealer and I'll have to pay tax and all that other bullshit since they have to do it by the book. Tires are probably dogshit too.

Oh well, it's only $4,000, I'm going to see if I can get it tonight.

And the wheels are :whatup:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

You can negotiate with the dealer. Say "I want to pay $4000 out the door or I walk."

You have to be ready to walk if they don't deal though.

It's on CL for $4,000. The guy I talked to on the phone thinks someone may have put an offer in for $4,900 or something. We'll see.

I can get my old 2005 636 for $4500 so....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It has 1,560 miles on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Somewhere around March/April of last year I made a post where a local 2002-ish GSXR 1000 was on eBay, very low miles, I asked about pricing, I said $4,000 would be a fair price. I had a ton of people saying $5,000+ would be more likely, and I think the bike sold for $5,500.

Can someone search for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hope you're good at cleaning wheels. You're going to be doing it every-loving-day.

I just got rid of a Harley, I know what I'm in for.