Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

this is a good excuse to share what i just bought!

got it for $350.

yes, it's a 440. i just sat on it last night and it killed me.
I can't freaking wait to ride this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Someone please buy this

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/878615205.html

Please.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1133767268.html

Not running for 6 years, what do I offer.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

1992 V-max 3grand
1998 1200 Sportster 2700

Which one to get?

My buddy is the parts guy at the harley dealer so I get cost for parts and has a killer fast sportster. I know the sportster is lighter and handles way better (I had a 85 Maxim which is nearly the same geometry as that V-max). The v-max needs no introduction. The sportster is killer easy to work on, the V-max is a nightmare.

What now.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah thats the problem.

I want a power cruiser, and the V-max fits the bill right out of the box. The sporter has a really sweet aftermarket though. I personally like the V-max more, but the hookup for parts is cool, especially since I get get a STORZ XR1200 kit at cost.

EDIT: Yeah, that purple thing is a hurrago. This is the bike:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1149901948.html

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 7, 2009

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gr3y posted:

What's the price difference between HD parts at cost and Yamaha parts at retail? Also how much would you have to put into the Sportster to have it make power like the VMAX?

HD would be significantly less. The sportster won't ever have V-max power. After the free stuff I'd get from my buddy It'd probably dyno at about 80 RWHP. The sportster weighs about 150lbs less and I'm just going to assume a lower CG.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Finally got the V-max owner down to $2500, and then I learn he "probably has it sold". Here's to the other guy weenying out.

I decided against the sportser because I don't want to drive 3 and a half hours each way.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1171139361.html

HEH

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, since I can't find a V-max locally I think I may just get myself a sportster. Theres a nice 1200 from 2000 thats white, which is a nice change. It's at a dealer with a warranty, so I'm going to go take a look tomorrow or Saturday.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

VTNewb posted:

Well, since I can't find a V-max locally I think I may just get myself a sportster. Theres a nice 1200 from 2000 thats white, which is a nice change. It's at a dealer with a warranty, so I'm going to go take a look tomorrow or Saturday.

Well son of a bitch I just found one at a local dealer for $100 dollars more than the sportster. Maybe I can have them battle for my business.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

A v-max and a sportster aren't the most common bikes to cross shop...Considering that the v-max is a water cooled, 1200cc v4, and the sportster is a 1200cc air cooled V twin that makes a little less than half the HP (in stock form). :confused:

In terms of power cruisers a Sportster is the second best choice, especially considering its lower CG, lower weight and better handling. I have lots of free sportster power parts at my disposal as well.

Essentially what's going to happen is I'll get approved for the v-max, and I'm already approved for the sportster. I'll get the salesmen all happy and worked up about getting a sale then tell them I'm working with the other guy about this other bike, and see who goes the lowest. The V-max is clearly cooler, but I'm $$practical$$.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I really wanted that V-max, but someone put a 300 dollar deposit on it. BUT, He's from Boston, is driving up tomorrow, and is having trouble finding financing. In a week it goes back on sale.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gr3y posted:

Is it really that practical to get the bike you don't want over the one you do to save a hundred bucks?

I like both of them quite a bit, hence why I'm looking at both.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well the guy that put the deposit on the V-max I wanted still hasn't been able to get a loan. Just have to wait till Friday hoping he keeps failing.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I haggled the dealer down to 4000 from 4500 on the V-max. I found out it had supertraps, which makes me think that its possible the P.O. put on the T-boost mod which makes V-boost come on at 3k RPM instead of 6k RPM. I'm going to have to force a test drive because I really frankly don't want that so I don't get 10 MPG, and I'm not interested in the hacked wiring harness it represents.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I just bought this
http://www.landairvt.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09773828X6K19K2009J5I30I40JPMQ1203R0&veh=1251157

$4200 tax title reg.

I'm pretty happy I think.

EDIT: What's the final word on running radial tires with tubes?

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 19, 2009

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

jdonz posted:

Any pics yet? It looks great in the pic in the link you posted and I'm curious to see some better ones.

Havn't picked it up yet. I spend a lot of time on my dirtbikes on weekends so I just couldn't fit it in.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

OK so I actually DID buy a bike this time.

A Harley XL1200S orrr, as the department of redundancy department calls it,

The Sportster Sport heh.

Before I get bashed too hard this is actually a relatively rare model with modern cartridge forks and gas shocks as well as a couple other modern things like dual plug heads n poo poo.

I'd have a pic for you but the PO took the stock flat bars off and put giant bullhorns on it and the internet must not see before I replace them

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Still waiting for my free bike, browsing on Kijiji found me this:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1978-honda-cb-550-W0QQAdIdZ140223284

It looks great to me. Any input from the UJM guys?

I have absolutely nothing against a CB550, however, as a matter of personal taste I really don't like the all black bike. Also, I personally would never spend that kind of cash on that bike.

Regardless of my taste, it looks clean and well done.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Besides the color, then. No concerns?

None that I know of. I had a CB750, but a friend had a 550 for a while (sold it after a year). He had no problems. I had no problems.

You can find the standard litany of problems old bikes have, charing, carb issues, standard fork seal or dead rear shock problems. All worth checking on, but that bike looks like a complete package.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Belt is sort of out of the question as well. While I like cruisers, I spent a lot of time on gravel/dirt/mud roads, which destroy belts in short order.

This isn't true.

Also, you should really stop worrying about what people will think of you if you buy a harley. I am the polar opposite of the standard Harley rider, being a graduate student and competing in motorcycle trials (and soon to be hare scrambles!). People on message boards love smearing Harley, but who actually values the opinions of random poster X?

With 3g you can get a mid 90's 1200 which will be rock solid dead reliable, and 10x easier to work on than your Virago.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Becktastic posted:

I'm a 5'5 girl looking for a good adventure bike. I've been riding a 125cc scooter for about a year and I'd like something more powerful and off road capable.

Advice?

ADV rider says the WR250R is the best dual sport ever. It apparently cruises the highway better than the DRZ400S and is also better offroad. I havn't riden one, but I read through the ADV thread yesterday. Go check it out!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

n8r posted:

Buying a new dual sport really is silly because most of them are rarely updated and can be found in the used markets quite easily. At your height, given your riding experience, I think it'd be a mistake to buy a full size dirtbike. If you do buy a fullsize bike, you're going to want to look into you options with regard to lowering it. Generally with a dirtbike you can get longer dogbones for the rear shock, and you can shave the the seat quite a bit. You want to be looking for the smaller displacement dualsports - they are as follows:
Honda XR / Yamaha XT / Suzuki DR / Kawasaki KLX/KLR (I think). I'm not aware of any significant reliability issues with any of the aircooled japanese dualsports. Personally, I would be shooting for Hondas / Yamahas if I had a choice.

With dirtbikes, unfortunately you are either looking at reliable/heavy/slow or light/fast/high maintenance (not necessarily unreliable). Then you mix in wanting to ride it on the street and you add a bunch of weight, and generally worse tires. Do you have specific areas in mind that you want to ride? Do you want to do highway riding? Do you want to have a bike you could really have fun with offroad - i.e. jump it? You also need to be aware that offroad riding generally requires a fair amount of addition gear in the way of boots, helmet, armor, and braces.

Really good advice. Also, if the bike does not have a SKIDPLATE, do not offroad it till you get one.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dracon Wolf posted:

I'm looking to buy my first bike. I've been searching like crazy and I'm looking to spend no more than around $6000. I'm not adverse to buying a cruiser or a sport bike (I like the look of both of them). I'm a bigger guy, 6'4''/260 pounds so I'm thinking that 250s are probably out of the question. I'm really looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan 500. I think that's probably my best option for the time being. Is there anything particularly lovely about these bikes? Are they reliable/long lasting? I plan on driving country roads and commuting back and forth to work. Is there anything else I should be looking at? The only other bike I have experience with is my brother's Kawasaki 550 LTD that I learned the basics on.

For half that price you can get a carbureted mid 90's evo sportster 1200 if you like cruisers.

For half or less you can get a carbureted SV650.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Vulcan except its boring.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

philkop posted:

I plan on one day adv riding maybe in the next ten years, so this would be essential.

Get a nice street bike. The bikes you want are the more hardcore variants of the type of bikes like the KLR or GS650, and actually have some offroad ability, which reduces the amount of streetability. Since you clearly aren't going to be doing more than 1% of "ADV" riding (and lets be real here, to most people ADV riding is a flat straight dirt road you could blast down on a CBR1000), just get a street bike. If you want to dirt ride, get a dirt bike later.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

Does CA recommend any entry level bikes from the big manufacturers over the others? I recently passed the MSF course and was thinking about getting a used, reliable newbie bike next year and wasn't quite sure if there were any substantial differences between the makes.

Well, if you asked me, I'd say Yamaha was the best.
If you asked Nerobro, he'd say Suzuki was the best.
If you asked Silver, Honda is the best.

No one likes Kawasaki though.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

soy posted:

was a little jerky in 1st gear

Maybe something with some more power

These two statements do not mix pretty much because any jerkyness was poor throttle control with a low geared bike.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

Could also be a really loose chain, depending on how well the MSF bikes are maintained, it seems to be hit or miss.

I think it would have to be absolutely ground draggingly catastophically loose because the 82 XL250 I ride occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly and doesn't jerk.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jabs posted:

I had to read this a few times to understand that the chain constantly dropping off the sprocket is why you might ride it only occasionally.

The first several times, it came out as
That 82 XL250 I ride? It occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly.

*head explodes*

Not my bike, but when i go up to my buddies house I'll play with it. The seat is ripped wide open and it has a CR125 tank from 79 on it held on with a garden hose.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

To follow up, (this is more of an "I know nothing about cars/mechanics/non-computers" thing) is there a reason the Ninja 500's motor is able to output nearly a quarter more horsepower than the GS500's (59.1 vs. 47)?

More importantly, how much should that difference factor into my decision, if at all? I weigh about 280, do I need more horsepower to lug my fat rear end around?

The ninja is watercooled like your car. It means it allows to dissapate heat better and as a result can have more aggresive horsepower generating charactaristics. The GS just flows air around the engine to get rid of heat, and can't get rid of it as well, so it's a bit milder.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

To be fair, there are the squid equivalents on cruisers too - guys with skullcaps, wifebeaters, and jeans. I just don't know if they have a disparaging moniker.

These are the guys you want to ride with, becauase you know if you crash, one of them is a doctor, one is a lawyer, and to help you after, the accountant.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Shlomo Palestein posted:

What's a RUB?

Rich Urban Biker

Rich: I.E. Harleys cost more than many cars.
Urban: Harley owners tend to be upper middle class that can afford these things.

As a result the standard Harley rider is the exact opposite of what the advertising of H-D makes them out to be.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

oops

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 11, 2009

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Saga posted:

CRM

Never seen one of these before, pretty neat. Did they start with the CR motor and tune it down or is it it's own engine?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Saga posted:

I saw your post on the Beta 450 BTW - my in-laws just got a used Beta Alp 125, and it has to be the coolest lovely old 11/12 hp 125 I've ever seen. We're going to do some light trials practice on it this weekend... :)

Yeah I'm going full Beta this year. I just sold my 01 Scorpa SY250 (for a profit!) as it went out of business and I don't want to deal with dwindling parts on a bike I compete on. Hopefully gonna get a Beta 270 EVO used from one of the national level riders. The '10 beta enduro has it's own engine, can't wait to ride.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

windex and beer posted:

I've looked through a chunk of pages but can't find an answer to this so here it goes.

I'm a new rider, I'm 6'1, and weight about 275 (I'm not a ball, but have a little gut on me) I'm looking at cruisers and really like the Honda Rebels and Shadows. I was leaning towards the Shadow just because I'm a bigger guy, I'm not really intimidated by the larger engine and I have self control, I just don't want to get out there on a Rebel and not be able to flow with traffic well.

Look at horsepower, not displacement. You can get a huge displacements on cruisers without eclipsing a dangerous amount of horsepower. The only thing to know is that torque on large engines can be pretty mean. The standard new harley rider crash involves stalling and having the bike shoot out from under you.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

soy posted:

Yes, I still haven't bought a bike. Just can't afford it until January.

My dilemma is thus: I really want a DRZ400SM, but the cheapest I've seen are high 3k's. I could afford it, but it would pretty much kill my budget for anything else. (repairs, pretty much anything but food)

I feel like I should just buy an ok condition ex250 and commute with it/wrench on it for a while until a DRZ isn't as much of a burden to buy.

If only I could get rid of my stupid rear end 03' accord without taking a loss against what I owe. (long story)

Seriously, save and get what you want instead of settling. If you have to wait longer it'll be so much better. Settling for a toy you don't want is never a good idea.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

I'm looking for a dirtbike on the cheap. Came across a ~93 CR125 for $375. Ad says it "runs good but has a miss on top end." I don't know exactly what that means but what I DO know is that 2-stroke top ends are very simple. Worth it?

Agree with Saga and I'll go one step further. DO NOT BUY.

I'll bet you every bearings on that bike is blown away. I just last spring bought a 1997 KDX220 with $500 dollars that only needed tires and a carb cleaning. That is to say, it's run very well this season on just tires and a carb cleaning. I'm sure it's about to explode in some way or another.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

There is very little I would get rid of my sweet rear end harley for, but this would do it :(

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/2144634114.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

n8r posted:

I think this is way too much money for this bike. You could probably spend 2-2500 and get a hell of a lot more bike. For example my buddy has a Superhawk that he wants $2500 for.

What do you think of the Superhawk? There's one around here for $1800.