Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is this a semi-decent deal if I can haggle him down?

2000 Honda Nighthawk 250, 17k miles. Asking $1500, but it's been up a week with no takers, so maybe I can get it for $1300-1400.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/899165883.html

I've been following CL for two weeks, and Austin prices seem to be running higher than folks mention finding in other parts of the US. I was gone from Austin for 1.5yrs, and bikes and mopeds have [/i]really[/i] gained popularity since I was gone, so maybe the local used market is just pretty tight?

The absolute cheapest Rebel (not counting some junkers) has been $1750 for a 2006 with 8K miles (with a pink custom paint job), for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is this a semi-decent deal if I can haggle him down?

2000 Honda Nighthawk 250, 17k miles. Asking $1500, but it's been up a week with no takers, so maybe I can get it for $1300-1400.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/899165883.html

I've been following CL for two weeks, and Austin prices seem to be running higher than folks mention finding in other parts of the US. I was gone from Austin for 1.5yrs, and bikes and mopeds have [/i]really[/i] gained popularity since I was gone, so maybe the local used market is just pretty tight?

The absolute cheapest Rebel (not counting some junkers) has been $1750 for a 2006 with 8K miles (with a pink custom paint job), for comparison.

No reply yet, and I just passed MSF today, getting license in next day or two.

Is anyone all "OMG nooooo" about me buying the above bike if I can wiggle him down to $1200-1300?

I'm moving in April and will be selling whatever bike then, and I'm reasonably sure that, with the weather being great by then, I won't have too much trouble selling it for a reasonable price. So I guess I'm less concerned with "meh, kinda expensive for what it is", and more concerned about "Nighthawks go to poo poo after X miles". So long as it'll serve me as a starter bike until April, the sell for around what I paid for it, I'd be happy.

Any glaring concerns?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

Nope. Look over it before you buy it for stuff that you'll immediately have to dump into it, moneywise, like chain, sprockets, and tires, if needed, use that to talk him down more. Change the oil on principal when you get it, and ride it. :)

Without my even asking, he pointed out that the chain and tires were replaced in the last three months, so no problems there. Looked pretty good overall.

I ended up buying it for $1100 and a Ruger 9mm pistol (that I paid $180 for). If I can sell it for somewhere towards $1200-1300 in April when I leave Austin, I'll feel pretty good about it.

I managed to get it back to my house (12 blocks away) without too much trouble, but I'll definitely be doing a lot of neighborhood and parking-lot practice before I take this on any 35+mph roads. In this respect, I suppose caution is a virtue.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, based on AI:CA advice I bought a Honda Nighthawk CB250 back a few months ago, and have been riding that about to good effect.

I'm hoping to move to DC, and then work in Afghanistan for a while, later this year. In such case, I'll sell the Nighthawk, and will need another bike when I return to the U.S.

What are some cool options I should read up on in the interim, and whilst learning the basics on my Nighthawk? Here are my interests:

-I like the traditional/standard upright sitting
-I like stripped-down bikes, brutal looking bikes, and bikes with little-to-no "swoopiness", flash, rocket-ness, etc. A non-bike friend saw my Nighthawk and asked "What's with the WWII bike?" and it filled me with joy.
-I dig Jap bikes overall. I vaguely thought I should aspire to get, I dunno, a Triumph or something when I get a good job, for flat-out-balla-ness. However I've really liked most vintage Japanese bikes I've seen. :shrug:
-I like relatively small bikes. I really, really like the looks and compactness of 1970s Enduro bikes (like the DT100), though I understand they're probably not the best streetbikes. But I dig the size and aesthetic.

Part of me wants a tiny bike for the DC area, but then it's be pretty useless for getting on the Interstate and zipping up to Philly, or west into the mountains, etc., right? So maybe I should just get a moped or a little thumper for around the city (and maybe to mount on a reinforced rack on the back of my car to take to other cities) and a larger (500cc+) bike for travel and highway crusing?

FAKE EDIT: Though I dig the old Japanese bikes (which are out in force in the hip parts of downtown Austin every weekend), I do dig some of the old US and Brit bikes:

Anyone note any trends in my interests that should point me towards certain models?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

blugu64 posted:

This can only end one way.

Huh, I was unfamiliar with Royal Enfield, did a little reading. So these bikes are made in India, but are pretty much just 1940s Brit bikes?

I see they have a "Classic" model too. But this is a hard-tail, right? That always sounded uncomfortable to me:

They also have a "Military" model, but it's a little gimmicky. I don't mind a bike that looks military-ish (primitive, utilitarian), or a vintage military bike, but an imitation rubs me wrong:

Actually, that is pretty cool, except for the ammocans

MSRP is around $5500, not sure how I feel about that.

Horsepower (if I'm reading this right) on the 499cc is only 34, and top speed 75mph, so nothing too impressive there. Not that I need a PERFORMANCE!!! bike or need to hit 130 or anything, but I'd like to be able to hit all highway speeds and have a little to spare. And getting less speed than my Nighthawk despite twice the cc's seems a little patchy.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

Absurdly fun, but remember that you'll get more maintenence, although it'll be simpler. There's still a big following for those bikes, so parts aren't impossiblet to come by.

More maintenance because it's 2-stroke, yes? "More maintenance" as in "you have to disassemble and blow out the carb every other month, and bake the gunk out of the exhaust system"? Or as in "the engine will beat itself to death and need to be replaced every year"?

I'm slightly wondering if I should stick to retro-style newer bike, since I'm unsure of what kind of increased maintenance I'd have to deal with on a vintage bike.

Are Royal Enfields spotty due to Indian QC, or just because it's an antiquated and quirky design, so I'd end up dealing with 1940s-esque maintenance headaches?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Has anyone transitioned from a Nighthawk Honda CB250 to the CB750?

I really like the Nighthawk (so far as my noob rear end can grasp) for handling, overall comfort, etc. I'd just like something that's a little more stable on the highway and that has a little more guts. On steep hills the 250cc really labors to hold 50mph, and passing on the interstate is a bit tricky since 75mph is about the best it will do on short notice, though I can get to 80 if I get a good 20sec of clear roadway and tuck in.

The 750 has at least twice as much horsepower, and I'm a bit concerned I'll be out of my league with only 6mo of riding. Further, I'm moving from Austin to the DC area, and not sure if the 750 is a bit heavy/cumbersome for urban street riding. Thoughts?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

pr0zac posted:

The 750 has 75hp new and cruiser geometry. Its definitely upper limit of newbie power level territory, but its not a SS by any means. It comes down to whether you consider yourself a new rider still. Have you put down a ton of miles in that 6 months? Do you feel comfortable on your current bike at all speeds? Have you scared the hell out of yourself recently? Really only you can answer the question whether you are ready to move up to it. I'd say try and test ride one and see if it feels like too much for you.

Cruiser geometry? Looking at the pics the pegs are directly below the seat; isn't it just more of a burly UJM/Standard?

I'm looking at other options as well, maybe something a bit lighter and with clear UJM/Brit lines. The W650 is pretty cool but hard to find. Generally pretty open on trad/naked bikes, the more WWII-ish the better. Except that I'm not much of a mech so looking for post-1980 bikes where it's not going to be a hassle keeping them running.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Simkin posted:

:zombie: Geeeeeeeeee Esssssssss Five Hundreddddddd

A little swoopier-looking than I prefer.

Looking for something more primitive. For example, I love the look of the old Matchless, I just don't want to have to deal with maintaining a 40yr old bike, and feeling bad if I scratch an irreplaceable item.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

pr0zac posted:

I too vote a Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler is the best choice though.

The thing about Bonnevilles is every motherfucker at UT Austin has a Bonneville, and I'd imagine it's similar in DC.

The Triumph Scrambler is pretty awesome looking though. 865cc, 59hp, 450lbs. Still might be bigger than what I'm looking for though. The Triumph Thruxton cafe racer is gorgeous as well, but would take getting use to for the sporter-like posture.

I'd love to get something that looks like a Royal Enfield, but without hassle of a bike designed before my loving granda was born. Everyone posting about REs here says you spend more time fixing than riding. Great look though:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

100 Years in Iraq posted:

They do make them new, and they come with a warranty. Plus they're cheap as hell, starting at just over 5k: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic.html

If I had the money I would go get one yesterday, mechanicals be damned. I guess the upsdide to an engine designed 60 years ago is that they're not too complicated.

Oh yes, but if you read the threads about the current-production REs (or any REs pretty much), it's rather grim.

From what I've read, really unique bike, fascinating to tinker with, basically a living museum piece. But not an ideal "just hop on and off it and change the oil every so often" riding bike.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Was in downtown Austin tonight for South by Southwest (huge music industry festival). As is common, guys bring out their cool bikes and park them on the sidewalk margins (apparently allowed), so there were tons of cool vintage BMWs, some Triumphs and Nortons, and some funky 1970s UJMs.

Then I saw something much like this, but with clubman bars:

Please tell me these don't suck outrageously! It's compact and cute as hell, puts out 36hp (compared to 20 for my Nighthawk CB250) and just generally has awesome looks. With some straight or clubman bars it'd be awesome as hell, and it's still big enough to ride 2-up.

Anyone familiar with these bikes?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

MrKatharsis posted:

I know it looks all polished and pretty, but most old Yamahas are just big baskets of electrical problems. That said, I would love to own that bike. I would kick-start it every chance I got.

How hard/expensive is it to put in a proper wiring harness? Off the top of my head, it doesn't seem they have any more wiring than my moped: turn signals, lights/horn, and then it goes down to the battery. Is it that much of a bitch to rip it out and toss in decent wires, or that expensive to pay some guy to do it?

I'm just a total sucker for cute little bikes, but the Honda Rebel is just too common to be eye-catching, and only puts on 17hp. The XS400 does 36hp, which would seem totally adequate for all urban riding, open highways, and moderate interstate driving, right? I've been doing just fine on short interstate stints with my CB250 and that only has 20 horse.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

CoolBlue posted:

It's not quite that simple, and its a huge pain in the rear end. Definitely NOT worth it when there are 100 better choices out there.

100 better choices in terms of "compact UJMs barely bigger than a Honda Rebel which put out 36hp"?

I just don't see that many small bikes that are more powerful than a lawnmower. I like small bikes, but I do want at least a little power in it.

Is the wiring the primary downfall of the XS400? It generally seems to be an acceptable bike, wiring aside, and they're quite inexpensive ($1000ish for a 1978-1982 model).

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

CoolBlue posted:

There are plenty of small UJMs with 36HP plus. Look for an 80s GS400 or 450.

That's actually a really cool suggestion:

Though glancing around http://craigslist-search.blogspot.com/ I'm seeing very few for sale in North America.

Not to take up your time, but if any other model names for compact UJMs in the 400cc-ish range jump to mind, it'd be great to have those to consider as well. I do like Brit bikes, but they seem both pricier and/or more of a hassle to maintain (though the Ariel and Matchless small models are loving gorgeous). So I figured a good, reliable compact UJM would be a good compromise.

This makes me salivate though:

:3:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gr3y posted:

Honda built a CB in the 400 range, which aren't that hard to find. Also don't count out the 600-750 cc bikes. They're not too big and pretty common.

Yep, been looking at the CB750. I honestly like my CB250 Nighthawk tons, except for the rare moments where I'm climbing steep inclines in the Texas Hill Country, or zipping up I-95 and feeling more wobble/wind resistance than I'd like.

I'm a total fey little princess though, and like cute little bikes, so thus the appeal of the compact UJMs. The XS400 looks great, and I'm not totally averse to spending a few hundred on wiring if that's the main problem, though the GS400 series seems great too. Bottom line, as long as it's nakedish, cute, and not too hard to maintain I'm pretty inclined. Ariel and Matchless have become rare(r) collectors items, and the new Indian-made Royal Enfields apparently have horrible QC and are generally "gearheads only". So I'm pretty much inclined to buy a Tomos moped for "zip down to the grocery/pub/subway" and a tiny UJM bike for "zip a few exits along the freeway in the DC Metro area", occasional backroad trips to Annapolis/Baltimore/Philly/Richmond.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nerobro posted:

I've had three of those in my garage at once. Right now I have a 1977 GS400X, a 1979 GS425E in there. Not so long ago there was a 1980 GS450L as well. I paid less than $100 for all three.

Okay, so the XS400 is a bitch to maintain, the GS400 is decent but I shouldn't pay too much for it?

Is a Honda CB400 good so long as I buy it in running condition? As folks have mentioned, UJMs get that "U" for a reason, and all these small naked bikes are pretty much much of a muchness.

So, in terms of availability, maintenance, etc. is the CB400 one of the better tiny UJMs to keep an eye out for?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gr3y posted:

TTFA lives in Texas. Over there, and here in Arizona, the riding season lasts roughly from January to December.

TTFA: have you thought about changing the rear sprocket on your Nighthawk?

I'm in Austin now, but moving to NoVA in May. Planning to sell my 2001 Nighthawk here ($1300ish) and then get a new bike after I move. Moving the Nighthawk would be a hassle, and I'm up for a change of pace in a bike anyway.

quote:

If you don't mind ditching the UJM thing, and you just want a good bike for making quick blasts up the highway to get downtown, I don't see why you shouldn't look at big 2 stroke enduros. A same era DT250 or 360 would do nicely.

Funny you should mention, I saw a DT250 out front of a local shop recently, thought it seemed like a really cool bike, and presumably quick-handling.

However, I'd be a bit concerned about taking a bike that light (245lbs) onto the highways. My Nighthawk is slightly heavier (270lbs) and a heavy wind really puts some lean on it when I get up to 60mph.

CB350 is sounding better and better, and there are bunches of them on various sales sites. Puts out 36hp, top speed 102mph, 375lbs; sounds pretty solid overall. I'm just not into cruisers or sport-bikes, and as a small guy living in urban areas I'm not drawn to some 800lb touring bike. Though I admit the cafe-racer sportbikes are pretty cool (Triumph Thruxton), but that posture looks less comfortable than the standard.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

kdc67 posted:

Quit looking at craigslist for everything. Go to ebay motors.

Not quite following how that's going to help.

Granted, the search engine is 1000x better than Craigslist, so it's cool that I can specifically search "Standard/Naked motorcycles 250cc-500cc within 200 miles of zipcode 12356", however when I do that there are a grand total of like three even semi-interesting bikes (CB400, KZ400) within 3hrs of Washington DC, and two of those three are rotting away in barns in rural Pennsylvania "DOESNT RUN BUT PRETY GOOD OVERALL $300".

Whereas with Craigslist I have to sort through hundreds of listings per week (since "400" in Search won't catch 400cc, KZ400, or CB400), but at least there are a ton of bikes within my area.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Much appreciate the heads-up, but I don't move to DC until mid-May.

Again, since CL's search engine sucks donkey balls it does help me to have some notion of what keywords to go for, so thus far these are promising:

KZ350/400/440/500/550
CB350/360/400/440/500
GS400/440

Or I can just run searches under Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki and see what jumps out. CL is pretty cool overall, and I realise that improving their search engine would cost money, but it does kind of bite that there's all this content and yet I can miss a CB400F if I type in "CB400", and I'll miss a CB400 if it's listed as "CB 400".

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Simkin posted:

Well, where are you, then? Some of us search for vehicles just for entertainment, so...

Also, searching for '400' '450' etc will usually yield all the bikes with those numbers anywhere in the description, so you'll end up with CB400 GS 400, without the hassle of individually searching for each marque.

"Usually" maybe, but if someone calls it a "CB450" and doesn't put the word in the title, then no, it won't pop up.

I'm in Austin now, but I have a CB250 down here I'll be selling when I move (early May), and then buying a larger bike in the DC area.

I'm sure this will be sold by then, but just as an example: is it a horrible idea to buy a non-working Honda for $400-800, pay $100 or whatever to have it hauled to a Honda mechanic nearby (Baltimore), pay $500 (or whatever) to have it totally cleaned/fixed, and then just pick it up and ride it back to Virginia?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1077732679.html

Just wondering if buying a $700 (quality) bike with some problems and having it fixed up is cheaper/easier than looking for a CB400/450/500 that 100% runs, which seem to cost a ton more and be less common.

While I'm here, what's the general "do not buy earlier than year 19XX" for the CB series, assuming I want something that runs reliably without undue effort?

EDIT: I'm not this unethical, but it'd be hilariously manipulative to buy a bike, push it down to the street, then call up your "valid with whatever vehicle you're in while carrying your cellphone" roadside assistance plan and have it towed to a mechanic for free.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 27, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Simkin posted:

Well, it does look pretty dire, but there are a few potential candidates on your local CL.

Oh, look, it's a GS450. I wonder if you can still find parts for that...
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1092448718.html

Here's another 80s Suzuki UJM, but it's not a GS. :monocle:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1085388540.html

And, if you really feel like a project bike, this one 'just needs a carb and a batter.' :v:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1085477190.html

Thanks, but I'll just stick with my CB250 for the next six weeks until I move to DC. It's enough that I have one bike and one moped to sell anyway. But I'll definitely be UJM-hunting in DC when I get up there.

Two quick UJM questions:

1) Are there any 1990-Present UJM bikes very similar to these older ones I've been looking at? Or just the CB series? It just seems that all the UJMs I see are 1970-1985 bikes. Did the style just completely fall out of favour?

2) I've seen some UJMs that seem much smaller in frame than others (GS400?). But I vaguely think I've seen 400s that are just as big as 550s as well. Is there any way to tell, short of looking at the bike in person, which UJMs are more compact? The XS400, for example, when I saw it in person looked almost closer in size to a Honda Rebel more than my CB250 Nighthawk, despite having more than twice the hp of a Rebel.

Basically, looking for a compact/cute UJM, and not sure which 400s are tiny and which are just as big as 650cc bikes with a smaller engine bolted on.

EDIT: I would totally consider jumping on that GS450 if I were staying in Austin.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Given that I don't move to DC for another 6 weeks, would it be completely daft to put in a bid on this, and then if I win road-trip out there (150 miles) in a buddy's car to pick it up and drive it back sometime in May?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981...A1%7C240%3A1318

This seems to be just about what I want, and allegedly in 100% "ready to drive off" condition.

Or is it very likely that a similarly good deal will pop up closer to DC in the next 6 weeks, and I should just continue to watch eBay and CL, and not actually buy a bike until I'm all moved and settled-in to Northern Virginia?

EDIT: How hard/pricey is it, generally, to have a bike shipped 150mi, or to pay someone to ride it down to DC?

It'd be $400 to have it shipped even just that far, so it'd be easier just to ask a 17yr old cousin to drive me two hours out, and then treat them to a big steak dinner or something that evening. I could make it a nice long all-day road-trip back to DC, again assuming everything is as running as it's claimed to be.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 27, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

8ender posted:

Doesn't seem like a bad bike at all. Looks like its had some work done recently all over. Wouldn't be surprised to find that this was someone's winter project and they've got it ready to flip. I'd buy it if you can score a good price on it.

So what is a good price for an '81 GS450L in the PA/MD/VA area? It's only got 3400 miles on it too.

Glancing at Craigslist there are a few decent ones asking $2000 (which seems pretty high) some "not too many serious problems" with 25,000+ miles for $1000-1200, and then a bunch of "doesn't run, might be fixable" for $300-800.

I dunno, I'm half-tempted to BiN, but that seems a bit high and I'm not convinced that many folks are going to make a trip out to bumfuck an hour west of Philly to pick it up, or pay $400+ to have it shipped practically two hours away.

I dunno, since this is pretty much what I want, and I'm about to sell a $1500 bike here in Austin, and have no particular shortage of cash (being a godless yuppie), should I bid $1999 for it? That way I avoid triggering the BiN, but I'll still beat anyone else who isn't willing to BiN.

Will call the phone# in the ad tomorrow, ask if they're cool with holding it for me for 6 weeks if I pay the money down.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bugdrvr posted:

From your posts it sounds like you will be having a shop do most of your work so you have to figure that into the older UJM equation. If you picked something like this up for $400 out of grandad's garage after it's been sitting for 20 years (I'm betting the seller did just that), you are going to have to pay a mechanic a good pile of cash to get it going again. Not much in parts, just a ton in labor.

Yeh, I hate to sound like a yuppie rear end in a top hat, but I really suck at anything mechanical that's any more complicated than cleaning an M16, or hosing out the carb on a moped.

Given that it's a better use of my time (since I wouldn't enjoy totally rebuilding a bike) to spend those hours doing profitable labour and then just give the cash to a mechanic, I'd rather just spend a little more for a running bike in the first place.

I don't know if it's CA heresy to admit this, but I'm mostly interested in riding the drat thing, and not too fascinated by maintenance above and beyond fueling, oiling, and inflating the critter.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

There's really two sizes of GS. The GStwins: 250, 300, 400, 425, 450, 500. And the four cylinder bikes: GS550, 650, 750, 850, 1000, 1100, and 1150. I'll drag out the bikes this weekend for comparison shots. Honda has a similar situation. Their parallel twin bikes are about the same size as the GS twins. And their 4 cylinder bikes are much larger. I think kawasaki's twins are larger.

Okay, the guy on eBay with the GS450 can't store it for me until I move in May. Unforunately, the auction closes Sunday night, but were it Sunday during the day I'd be able to go pick it up since I have a meeting in DC on Monday and fly in Sunday. But I don't want to get out at 5PM on Mon-Wed, and try to dash three hours up to him, get the bike, and ride an unfamiliar bike back to DC on an unfamiliar route in the dark with a meeting the next morning. It'd all just be too complicated.

On the bright side, I think all this advice has given me a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for

-UJM twin from Kawasaki or Honda, so GS/CB 350/400/440/450/500

I figure if I keep my eye out for one a week or two before I move, I should be able to find a decent one on CL or eBay. Plus even if it doesn't pan out immediately, there are tons of Tomos mopeds on DC/NoVA CL, so I can probably get a 'ped to sooth my itch for a few weeks, and then once I get the biek I'll have my choice of rides daily.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

8ender posted:

Thats what makes them so interesting. The Japanese were really trying hard to create a supremely capable bike that would be at home in twisties and still be comfortable for cruising. My recent experience riding my KZ650 now that its finished is that they did a really good job of this depending on the model.

Yeah, I just don't dig cruisers, partially because they're so popular currently. And not really into sporters since I don't care for the look, and the posture seems less comfortable and with less ability to enjoy the view and keep an eye on traffic. That said, naked sporters (or whatever) like cafe racers or the Thruxton are pretty awesome.

If I find a good deal on a cafe racer type bike, I'll be tempted, but otherwise will be keeping an eye out for a UJM.

EDIT: Well, here's a UJM gone caff:

CB550, but that guy's 6'3", so I imagine it'd fit me better.

EDIT: Alternately I could keep my motorbike plain UJM, and just cafe-up the moped I intend to buy:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 28, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
So I bid on that GS450 on eBay Motors, since it was still really low ($560). I bid something like $1700, since that's slightly more than I can sell my current CB250 for, and because that GS is about exactly what I want.

So I bid that, it met Reserve, but I was barely ahead of some other bidder.

Like 20min later the seller calls me and says "Whoops, sorry about that, but this guy came by my house and offered cash on the spot for it, so I sold it to him. I went back to my computer and saw that you'd just bid and met Reserve (obligating him to sell it to me), so can you retract your bid so I can cancel the auction?"

I thought that was a pretty dick move on his part, but I'm about to head out the door a business trip, and didn't feel like loving around with the issue. And I would feel better about buying a CB or GS if I can check it out in person first, so I'll just keep an eye on the market as I get closer to moving to DC in mid-May.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Simkin posted:

Go check this out, if only to appease the seller:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1097486324.html

Seriously, though, it looks more or less like what you were looking for. Small(ish) UJM, 4-500cc, no mechanical gremlins, and local.

Right, but the problem is I'm in Austin now and already have a bike, and am moving to DC in May, where I do not have a bike. Buying a second bike in Austin isn't going to help anything.

If I found a bike in Austin that was exactly what I wanted I might consider getting it crated and shipped, since I can fit it into my moving budget my company is giving me. I own almost nothing and they gave me a reimbursable expense allotment I can't possibly use up, so I could conceivably blow $700 or whatever of that on mailing a bike to DC, since it's not my money anyway.

That said, not into cruisers, so I'll keep looking for a standard.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

That's the shadiest loving poo poo ever. Still, there's not much you can do about it, so maybe just call him an idiot and retract your bid? I'm gonna laugh if the other guy's bid is over his reserve. :v:

...not only that, I got outbid by another guy right at the end, so now he has to deal with an actual completed auction for $1800, which means eBay automatically deducted their cut as soon as it closed, etc.

In fairness, at least on gun auctions (on other sites) it's not uncommon to see "I'm selling this at my shop, so reserve the right to end this auction if it sells in-store first." However, this guy never mentioned that he was selling it on CL or whatever additionally, and if the in-person buyer found him and messaged him on eBay it's kinda shady to cut eBay out of the deal to save closing fees.

In any case, his problem not mine. Now I just need to be watching for a GS400/450/500 or CB400/450/500 in the DC area around early May. Plus there are tons of Tomos mopeds on DC Craiglist these days, so I'll probably get one of those to zip around on locally as well.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, still kinda kicking myself on that GS450 for $1800, but I still have 6 weeks until I move to DC to find a bike there, or I can just use my car for a month or two until I find a decent bike.

Question: was the GS425 common enough in the states that it's worth putting into a search engine? Or should I stick to looking for the 400, 450, and 500E (the Standard, from before 500 came to mean a sporter)? The GS440 is an Enduro bike, so I think I'm just looking at 400/450/500E.

Any huge opinions as to whether a Honda CB400/450/500 would be a better vehicle, pound for pound? Off the top of my head, it seems they kept making the CB standards later than Suzuki made the GS standards, so does that increase my odds of finding a non-trashed example for a reasonable price?

Is the GS at all a smaller frame than the CB? They're about the same dry weight, but I was under the vague impression a GS is smaller/lower than a Nighthawk.

EDIT: Even a CB350 still gets 36hp (compared to 40hp for a CB400), which is still almost twice what my CB250 gets. Should a CB350 be decent for commuting (with short interstate stints), urban, and a bit of highway cruising on VA/MD/PA backroads? Or am I still best to hold off for a decent GS450?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINT...A1%7C240%3A1318

$470 with no reserve and less than two days left, 17k miles on a 1973 CB350, supposedly totally up and running. Or is it total folly, even given seller's assurance of it being road-ready, to try and drive an unknown bike 176 miles back to DC?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 30, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, so I like standards, like smaller/lighter/nimbler bikes, and am somewhat leery of big maintenance headaches for a 1963 Japanese bike.

Would it be completely ludicrous to consider a Moto Guzzi Nevada 750?

It's a Standard, they still make them, there are used ones on the market for $4,000ish, and it only weighs 400lbs (about the same as a GS400 or CB500). What's the word on these critters? Or will I have massive maintenance problems and parts issues?

Or, pound for pound and all things being equal, would I be getting a better bang for my buck if I just got a beater 1975-1980 GS450 or CB450 for under $1000 and played Pimp My Biek with a <$3000 budget? Not that I would necessarily spend that much fixing up a GS/CB, but just wondering if it's a "d00d, for the $4K you'd spend on that stock MG you could turn a UJM into something super-sweet."

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

The modern Guzzis have come a long way from the dark days of typical Italian reliability, or lack thereof...I owned a SP1000 at one time from the mid 80s and that bike never gave me a moments grief, once I bought it a new battery. A $20 Wal Mart riding mower battery.

So is the above poster saying that MGs are unreliable poo poo basically like some 70yr old saying "all them Jap cars are crap, buy a Chevy"?

quote:

If you can go that high, I'd take a look at a Nevada for $4K.

I've picked up some cool bikes for under $3K.

I will admit I've been tempted by the Ducati 695/696 and similar. I really dig the naked look, I'm just not sure I'd be comfortable sitting crouched-over all the time. Plus, odd though it may sound, I just find the notion of sitting with my legs that far back to somehow seem disconcerting. Not that I'm going to put my feet down and stop myself from falling at 50mph, just that somehow it seems less stable. Or is that just a mental hurdle I should promptly address, and give some naked sporters a shot?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm not sure if I'm being pedantic, other folks are being dumb, or if I'm just not grasping something.

Very roughly speaking, the difference between "cruiser", "sporter", and "standard" is the posture of the rider based on peg position and handlebars, right? If the pegs are forward that's a pretty major component of it being a "cruiser", right?

Looking at Craigslist and eBay, I see a ton of standards described as "cruisers", some cruisers listed as standards, some standards listed as sporters, etc.

Am I not grasping the difference, or are tons of sellers unfamiliar with the terms, or are they just calling standards "cruisers" because cruisers are the trendy thing now and they want potential buyers to think of a CB500 as being just a cheaper Harley?

EDIT: Question 2:

For Honda and Suzuki, is mileage or age more important? That is, is a CB450 '71 with 5000 miles a better buy than an '82 with 20,000 miles at the same price? For both brands, is there a certain "do not but Japanese bikes made before 19XX", so far as quality/reliability/parts go? I guess I'm asking if I should shy away from buying a 1970ish Japanese bike with low mileage (and that by overall condition looks to have low mileage, as opposed to just fresh odometer).

EDIT: Question 3:

For Honda CBs, if I value lightweight/manuverable/low-maintenance, should I stick to the twin versions in the CB series, or is there no reason to avoid the 4-cylinders?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 2, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, so still looking at small-frame UJM twins. How is this?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1087044126.html

81 SUZUKI GS450L CRUISER FULLY SERVICED - $1499 (NORTH JERSEY)

quote:

VERY CLEAN GS450 L CRUISER. FULLY SERVICED. NEW OIL AND FILTER. NEW BATTERY. NEW TIRES FRONT AND REAR. NEW AIRFILTER. RUNS AND RIDES EXCELLENT. POWERFUL DUAL CAM MOTOR WITH SIX SPEED OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION. LOW SEAT HEIGHT OF 28 INCHES. SUPER DEPENDABLE AND RELIABLE. 16K ORIGINAL MILES. COME RIDE AWAY ON IT.....

He's been re-listing it all March. If for some odd reason it's still unsold in May I could lowball him. Not that it should last that long, just that I'm idly watching the market before my move.

Never been to Jersey, and was vaguely trying to make that the dead-last state to visit, since it's one of only 6 states I haven't been to. But it's close to Philly, so only 2hrs from where I'm moving in NoVA.

Look like a reasonably deal? The one I almost got over the weekend was $1800 for same model with 5,000 miles. That one got grabbed by a cash buyer in bumfuck PA, and also had another eBay bidder outbid me, so the market seems to think $1800 was fair.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nerobro posted:

Did my last post regarding a GS450L completely slip your mind? That's both a better price, and looks to be in better shape. Absolutely no question, buy it.

Not at all, I liked the 450 from the first it was mentioned, and your post was just more confirmation of that. It seems to be basically just what I'm looking for.

Not quite sure how to go about this though, being that I won't be up in that area for 5-6 more weeks. Should I maybe just make an offer to PayPal a deposit (since I can dispute the charges if he fails to hand over the bike) and see if he's willing to take it off the market and sit on it for a few weeks if I pay asking price? The fact that he's been trying to move it all month might help me there.

Minor sidenote: is it easily doable and/or advisable to replace the bars? They just seem really high/prominent and I wouldn't mind something a bit lower for control and flash. Is that a common and acceptable mod on bikes like these? Is bar changes (and replacing the appopriate cables/wires) pretty much a "any fucktard with a proper toolbox" job?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Dammit, the dude listing the GS450L in the Philly CL is actually in Jersey City, which now that I google it is practically in NYC.

I'm setting Philly as the furthest point I'll go to pick up a bike to take back to DC. Not going to go halfway to Boston to pick up a bike that doesn't seem to be terribly uncommon. Feeling pretty solid on specifically looking for that model though, with similar GS and CB twins being a fall-back.

About CBs: I frequently see CB250s, like I own, being described as "great for noobs, small females, etc" and totally agree. It'll do every basic task just fine but has limited ability to do dumb/crazy poo poo. 20hp, 270lb bike, top speed 80mph, low enough that probably anyone 5'4" or greater can stand with flat feet.

However, as I'm cruising GS/CB CL ads, I see: "Honda CB650. This bike is perfect for beginners, or maybe for the wife or a child who's just starting out."

Lessee, 476lbs, 72hp, top speed 110mph. Perfect for the little lady? :psyduck:

Am I just a total fey twerp for starting with a 20hp bike, or is 72hp seem a bit much for "perfect for girly noobs!"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Simkin posted:

Don't be shocked - it's not like people don't advertise 600 supersports as 'good beginner bikes' all the time on CL.

What's their frame of reference then? All manly-men must ride literbikes, bare minimum, to keep from spontaneously ovulating?

In my MSF class when the instructor asked "so what bikes are folks planning to buy?", aside from me (250cc) and one middle-aged guy getting a scooter, everyone else was getting 600cc, bare minimum.

Most of the older guys planned to, or already had, some Harley in the 700cc or better range (including one guy who couldn't ride at all yet but already had bought an 1100cc), and easily 6 of 10 <40yrs guys there insisted they were getting a GSXR. Then again, I'm curious how much of that was macho bullshit, with most of the young guys buying small Ninjas or whatever.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gnomad posted:

Back to TTFA and his GS450L-

My first street bike, the one I learned on, bought it new in 83, 84, or so for $1500, just for reference. It's a very competent smaller bike, easy to ride, very manageable but capable of plenty of scoot if need be. I think the HP was rated at 46 or 48 and that seemed about right. It handled highway speeds just fine. I sold it a couple years later when I felt I "needed" a bigger bike.

Not to be a dick, or a clueless noob, but I'm unclear as to what one actually does with more than the 40hp a G450 puts out.

I've got a CB250 with 20 horse, and I really find it pretty acceptable for almost everything I do. The only reasons I "need" a bigger bike are that it's a bit wobbly if it's really windy on the interstate (starts to feel really skittish at 60mph+ especially), it's a big sluggish on really steep hills (little windy steep roads in the TX Hill Country), and it'd be nice to have a max a bit above 80mph so I can pass better or zip out of trouble on the interstate. For the city driving that makes up the vast majority of my riding it's totally satisfactory.

So I don't quite get why folks need 70+ horsepower, outside of being on a track. Hey, free country, so I'm not against their having more, I'm just a little confused as to why 40hp is considered barely adequate when it gets you up to 100+mph on the interstate, and even my little 20hp can dust plenty of cars from a dead stop at a red light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Not to distract myself from the current goal of getting a small-frame twin UJM, 400-500cc, but is it at all worth looking at some of the smaller BMW standards?

I see a few of these around Austin, and some of the smaller ones seem about the size of a CB400 or GS400. Are they going to be considerably more expensive for less reliablity and even harder parts-finding though?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 4, 2009