Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I just sold the CA staple, 07 SVs. I'll be following the goon progression and getting sumo/dualsport next! (DRZ400 or WR250) OOoooooweeeee I am excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I sold my wr250 recently and am looking to get a more road oriented bike for commuting and fun. I am moving this spring and it will increase my work commute to 50 miles round trip with a mix city/freeway or city and twisties on nice days. I’m looking for something with an upright riding position and ABS.

As far as riding history goes, I’ve been riding since 2009. A 2007 sv650 was my sole transportation for years. I sold that three years ago for the wr and fell in love with dirt. As a result, I bought a ktm 200 exc and it is likely the most fun bike ever made. It completely ruined the wr. Having so much more power with so much less weight, a hydro clutch, and dialed suspension makes it the best wood weapon. Anyway, I digress.

Here’s the short list:
2017 FZ07 – There are good deals right now for $6500. Seems like the most rational decision of the bunch with good ergos, abs, a great engine with usable power, and 50+ mpg. However, it ugly.
2017 FZ09 – Why does this bike have to only be 1000 more? It has way more power than I, or really anyone, need. But it has TC, ABS, slipper clutch. It is more comfortable and looks better than the 07. $7500
2017 XSR900 – Same bike as the fz09, but looks way better. 8k
2014 Street Triple R – ABS, super smooth engine, brembo brakes, good suspension but will have slightly higher cost of maintenance. 7000-7500

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if you live in a dense urban environment and spend most of your time on city streets rather than highways and country roads, you may want the FZ-07 over the FZ-09. The 07 is lighter and more fun on city streets, whereas the 09 is an insane lunatic that has contempt for your boring survival instincts. Until I get on the highway (and even then, sometimes) I spend a lot of time just holding the FZ-09 back. It is violent and wants to be stupid. It's not meant for city streets; it just feels wasted until you can really use it.

I'm up in Portland, OR and fortunately have a counter commute to all the traffic coming into the city and some of the more popular local carving roads (Skyline, McNamee, Rocky Point, for those familiar) between my home and work. Having power on hand everywhere is super appealing, it's why I love my ktm so much. But drawing from my love of that 2t kick for an on road world seems... both necessary and destructive. Right now, I'm leaning more towards the 09 due to the ergos and amount of bike you get for the money.

Coy, I don't have to go new new, but the used market is pretty inflated so it's a small leap.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2018

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't been able to test ride a str yet. I was able to butt test one and liked it My pure assumption is that it is the most refined of the bunch and I won't have to upgrade anything about it.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Fats posted:

I must be weird, I think it sounds cool.

I took my SV650 out last weekend for the first time in a while, and neither of them sound as good as a fast-revving twin. Maybe the 07 is the real answer. I think they’re doing a XSR700 now?

Yeah, this is the first year the xsr700 came stateside and I'd love to have one. It's one of the best looking production bikes out right now but comes with a 8500 price tag. That is one hell of a premium for a different trim package than a 6500 fz07.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

2013-2016 Triumph Street Triple

2015ish Yamaha FZ-09

2014-2015 Honda Interceptor ("VFR 800")

I was looking at all of the same bikes two months ago until a deal came up on a 2015 street triple r. I love this bike. It's both good and bad at how much confidence it inspires. TC isn't that big of a concern because of the smooth throttle and predictable power. There is enough bike there for things to get out of hand, but it's so refined that it's unlikely to bite you in the rear end. It's one of the best bikes I've ridden of the box and I doubt I'll be doing any upgrades beyond a windscreen and protection. It's a smile machine for sure.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Hydro clutch, no work.
I just rode you yesterday.
Damnit KTM.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Wobbly and soon to be missing parts are a design feature of thumpers.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I have a 2019 690 smc r that I want to replace. I am looking to compromise on a little on agility in an effort to gain comfort. Commuting isn't a concern and more emphasis should be on fun/handling while having a better seat and a little wind protection. I like all the rider aids that 690 has and would like to continue having those (abs/cornering abs/tc/etc.). I was looking at the mt10 and s1000r as they tick a lot of boxes, especially the mt10 for the price, but don't know if I'd ever shift beyond 3rd on the street. I stopped in the ducati dealership on my lunch break this week and sat on the supersport s. I didn't ride it, but seems like it fits the bill: usable power, adjustable windscreen, all the rider aids, slipper clutch, and good suspension. The issue is that I can get one used for the same price as a new mt10.

Also checked out the s1000xr (very comfortable, weight down low), multistrada 1260 s (way too big), and Tracer GT (instrument cluster that looks like a muppet face). They are probably the most rational decision, but I'm not sure I am ready for a dad sport bike just yet.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 21, 2023

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I assume you’ve investigated sticking a windscreen on the smc? And I’m sure there’s a seat upgrad route there for it.

I have the seat concepts seat and it bought me maybe another half hour. I went on a group ride this past wednesday, rode pretty hard for two hours, and was walking like a cowboy on Thursday.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for the insight. I'll give the 890 a look too. I kind of passed it over because it seemed peak KTM... totally unlike my 700cc thumper. Serious cognitive dissonance on that.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Will vouch for, great bike that I haven't regretted getting for a second.

How is the throttle/fueling on it? Is it less abrupt and snatchy than previous gens? Looks like they are widely popular because the nearest one to Portland is up passed Seattle followed by Sacramento.

I've heard great things about the ride and power of the tuono. I've only had two anecdotal experiences with them: 1) Trying to help a random guy on the street get it started again after it died on him. 2) Talked with a guy at a turn off on one of the local twisty roads and he said he never shifted passed second on the entire stretch.

ant mouth fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 22, 2023

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I checked out the 890, Tuono, and MT10. The 890 would be the best bike for how I ride and what I am looking for, but I have reservations about a CFMOTO KTM. Seems like there are some pretty common issues that crop up. They are known and generally covered by warranty but I'd rather not deal with that. The Tuono is by far the sportiest with the highest rearsets and most forward position of the bunch. It fit well, but the body position is pretty locked in and I want more comfort. The MT10 felt great. It's top on the list. However, a wild card entered into the equation: the Super Duke R. As much as I don't want to like it, it felt great. To top it off, there are some good deals locally to where, at least short term, I'd save a good chunk of money over a 2022+ MT10. I'd probably save more money long term with the Yamaha though.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I'll toss another recommendation for a supermoto. I was in this thread earlier looking to replace my 690. I realized, in my heart of hearts, that there is no replacing it. It is hands down the most fun I can have on a bike and I'll just have to get a more comfortable bike to accompany it.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

The Tenere 700s look pretty nice, not sure how they would be as commuters.

I just picked up a 24 Tenere and it’s a great bike around town. It’s comfortable, has enough power, and low on vibrations. It’s not as exciting as my last bike, a 690 smc r, but that was the appeal. I wanted comfort, reliability, and full control of abs for the dirt. As a relatively new father, I also wanted something that didn’t empower me to be such a dong. My only criticism is that the stock windshield causes buffeting right at my helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

MSPain posted:

i bought a 2007 sv650s

i hope you are happy with yourselves

That was my very first bike. I had 35k trouble free miles with it. Sold it to a friend who put 40k on it. Good bike is good.