Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've heard of people owning multiple multi thousand dollar things in different categories of activity/hobby/lifestyle thing.

I'm kind of surprised there is not more crossover, although sounds like at least a few people posting here partake in both.

There are many locality specific factors that influence choices, but where I live, an e assist bike makes a lot of sense (more than a motorcycle even) if going just by utility and ease of use for daily transport.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have strong opinions on the yamaha xt250? Versus lets say a crf 250l?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for advice yall, I came across a klx250sf locally and going to check it out. I didn't even realize they made a supermoto back then.

On the topic of cooling, is an air-cooled bike a problem is extremely hot environments?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Yet they both have garbage suspension in common!

*Phoenix.

I live in Southern Arizona... so that's why I'm asking. I'm sure they get a long just fine, but I've come accustomed to inquiring about temperature related stuff because I don't live in a "normal" place.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dealer price is MSRP + 3k worth of bullshit fees.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about an MT09? Or is that too close to what you had before?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sounds like you're a super cub short of a full set.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s an 80’s Suzuki so it’s probably

... like a 2020 suzuki (still good).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can always negotiate and counter offer, although they might just tell you to pound sand since they can probably sell it to the next person shortly. When I was getting quotes for MT03s locally, about $1000 on top of MSRP OTD seemed to be standard (our tax is a couple % lower).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Spiggy posted:

Usually I just get Fat Bobs asking about my bike.

New thread title?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I saw a new big gs street parked the other day and it's... surprisingly small?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sounds like the old reliable TW200 farm bike to complete the wet countryside in Scotland aesthetic.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

nobody has ever accused me of making a good decision before im framing this post and hanging it on my wall

I love my black MT03! You'll love it too.

Since you have time, start looking around for gear while you're waiting for the bike. That way you're ready to go when it's here and you're more likely to find a good deal on something.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 17, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

And that's really low revs for max power from a motorcycle.

Small engines don't torque, yo.

I love being able to shift at 10k rpm in the first 3 gears and still only be doing ~60mph. Probably my favorite thing about my mt03 so far.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How close in size to a miata is that 'wing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Covering the front brake seems like a requirement in town due to traffic and then when you get to the twisties, I cover the front brake for trail braking and until I can see that a turn exit is clear.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The T7 is super cool if you like rally bike look. I saw the blue one on the road next to me the other week and drat it looks good.

But if you're never going off road, then mt09SP? Hypermotard?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 12, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

a great engine that works is better than a brilliant engine that's waiting for a new engine to arrive from Italy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Youtube motorcycle reviewers do a bad job of assesing brakes in the context of a motorcycle except Zack at Revzilla.

It's always brembo good. Anything else, "they're not brembo but at this price blah blah". Now, are brembos just automatically good (not the budget ones)? Maybe. Does everything need massive stopping power, twin disks etc? Certainly not.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I can register my motorcycle for 5 years without anyone looking at anything. You can also do this with any vehicle by getting a PO box outside the city limits in AZ.

I heard on the radio that France is trying out sound cameras (like speed cameras). I'm kind of curious how that will work out.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 19, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you're used to a smooth BMW experience, prepare for a ton of bullshit for a 5k bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

The smooth BMW experience where it's sitting in my driveway unable to be driven because the dealership can't get the correct fluid for the breakin service and if I drive it any more it will void the warranty? That smooth BMW experience?

Nah you're conflating the hate yourself ownership experience with the smooth money taking experience.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Wait did you somehow manage to avoid buying a Yamaha and ended up with a small capacity dadbike?

He's talking about his M3.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I wish mine was either this color or the previous year flouro ice or whatever they called it. Black is fine though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

I'm seriously considering a CB650R, possibly even new, but Honda has decided all their bikes only come in black now. That lovely metallic red is no more. I get taking what you can get buying used, but the whole thing about buying new is you can order it how you want it. It feels like Honda is competing against their own used market up here, which offers more options. Supply chain/covid crunch I guess. Ran out of red paint and the paint factory closed.

The red with the bronze ish pipes underneath look awesome on that bike. But maybe give it a test ride, it's reportedly boring if dependable in classic Honda fashion.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yay another one for the mt03 crew!

Just take it easy for the first few weeks, put around the neighborhood, get your muscle memory down for starts stops etc. Practice emergency braking A LOT. Good job surviving the rain, that would have been terrifying personally on the first ride.

bizwank posted:

It's an amazing bike (and the best color), you're gonna love it. Once you have a good feel for it, the R6 throttle tube swap is worth looking into.

What does this do?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bizwank posted:

The stock throttle has a crazy long throw (how far you have to twist it to get to WOT); the R6 tube is a direct swap but shortens that distance up quite a bit. I find it a lot easier on my wrist, and it also got rid of the small dead zone at the start of the stock throttle, though that may have just been an adjustment issue on my bike.

I don't think it's good advice for a brand new rider, his first order of business for a while is not dying and learning good habits. Long throttle throw will give him some room for erroneous inputs.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bizwank posted:

I agree, which is exactly why I qualified the advice with "once you have a good feel for it". I'm also a brand new rider and waited until I had about 400 miles on the bike and a solid feel for the throttle response before making the swap, and have had zero issues with it. It's a very common complaint/solution for that specific model.

:lol:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Check out the small dual sports, klx 300, crf300l etc.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There a several comparos that have been popping up on my YouTube with the hypermotard vs yamaha mt09sp. Thr mt09 is a less fun more more liveable allegedly, with cruise control, more than 100mi of range etc.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Mt09 is a super fun but otherwise normal Japanese bike.

A hyper is basically a sportbike for slow corners.

Even though my heart desires a hyper, the more I've been riding around here made me realize that the roads aren't twisty enough. So I would want to go offroad for more fun and something like a T7 is a better fit. Unless.... what's a hyper like on double track/gravel...?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Motorcycle situation is compounded with supply issues AND all the recreation industries having blown up during covid.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do you not have the cb500r over there? Lighter, more modern model over the 500f. The other one to consider is the 500x, could be better for weekend trips.

More importantly, what does she like?

Even though she has an arbitrary power requirement in her mind, check out the small displacement bikes if she wants something very agile feeling. MT03 is awesome and the honda cb300r is a good 60lb lighter than the MT03. If you're mostly going to be on lovely Italian backroads and don't need to sit at 140kph for hours to get where you're going, small displacement is the way to go. Speaking of roads? Will you ever trek off pavement?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Do I remember people saying they don't like the Africa Twin? A local shop really wants to sell some of their 2020's and while I'm leaning hard towards the Vstrom, I am keeping an open mind.

Definitely ride one, it just depends if you're looking for a big adventure bike and all the things it comes with (including additional weight) or something middle sized and simpler.

Edit: AT only 30 to 50lb heavier

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Does traction control make the CB650R worth getting over a cheaper CB650F? I could get a CB650F with full exhaust and ECU flash for the same price as a CB650R.

I've never heard it described as boring?

[edit]
why isn't it called Vstorm? Did the factory make a typo and they just ran with it?

Just curious are you looking at used CB650F? Or are they still being sold in your country?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Both would be secondhand

The litany of small upgrades all over, but mostly importantly, the better looks of the CB650R would point me personally towards the R. But that's your personal deal.

If getting riding again and insurance are a factor, why not a smaller bike? Even from the same Honda line up the CB300R could be a hoot. If you don't plan to do too much motorway riding, a small, light bike could be very enjoyable, cheaper and most importantly a likely better companion for improving your skills.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Phy posted:

that actually is the groin when it turns into bot mode.

This is the best and most correct answer.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good old "free" market of the US.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about a CB500X in that same price range as the KLR? Plus it'll be a little better as a first bike and honda reliability blah blah.

As far as financing, rates are so cheap right now that why not or if there's a manufacturer promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Or z400 or CB300R. Lots of great options to learn on nowadays that will be reliable and get you around at 55+ mpg.

Edit: klx 300sm to the list

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 31, 2021