Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MT09 and wheelie all the way to work.

There are also the middle sized adv bikes if you want to go on longer trips like Tenere 700 and CB500X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dealer is going to tack on 2k of bullshit I’m sure and if you want to uncork the engine you need to flash the cpu. So at like 13k…. Is it still super cool to you? There are a ton of cool bikes around that price range.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

moxieman posted:

Buy it up OP. I like mine, it’s fun.

Did you post pics?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Vit is a pretty sporty riding position just as a heads up also, which is fun for romping on it, but maybe not if you’re commuting home after a long rear end day.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can anyone confirm about "max power" from this type of engine, more marketing drivel?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ve been thinking of getting something different after riding my MT03 for a couple years. Previously I was pretty set on getting a small dual sport like a KLX300 or a CRF300L and getting more gravel/dirt time, but when I think about how I would need to get to some of those dirt roads (mostly double track and unpaved car sized roads), it would require getting on pavement or highway and riding there at 60-80mph.

This pretty much means that I’m target demo for a mid sized adventure bike right? T7 or a Tuareg or a used Africa twin (I know AT is a bit bigger than mid).

Other considerations have been something rowdy like a hypermotard or a husky 701, but there are not that many fun twisty roads close by. I guess I could stick a windscreen on the hyper if I wanted to do any significant slab riding/sport tour. A more boring choice would be like a CB500X.

Anything I’m forgetting?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

As I was typing my post I thought to myself "I know slavvy is going to say DR650".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Diavel.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Endbuster posted:

I’m the filthy sub demographic of overpowered machine devotees that weighs 135lbs and actually rips on it up to 150mph on the regular. In full gear of course. The ZX14 is at the bottom of my list for sure.

The ZRX1200 is the only big naked bike stateside avail that isn’t some fiddly diddly brand for my area. It makes the list.

Tell me more about you being a sub.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you're gonna roll up here and insinuate that you're doing 150mph regularly on public roads, I'm not going to be super welcoming.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KLX250/300 as well, either the dual sport or super moto version. Better suspension stock than the crf.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m here to drudge up my massive pet peeve. You can safely go ~65 on a highway and you don’t need to be able to “accelerate out of danger”. You can move or slow down. Yes I have ridden on western/southwestern highways where people are going 75-95. In fact, adding speed statistically makes things more fatal. If accelerating is your only exit, you failed in your planning on where you should be placing yourself. People get too reliant on the throttle.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Browsing local Craigslist, found two maybe good deals what do y’all think:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/d/tucson-2021-dirtbike-klx-300-dual-sport/7687280351.html

Would be fun for some off-roading, but I’m a little in that situation where I have to ride 30-60+ minutes to actually get to any sort of trails and maybe that would suck enough that I never do it.

Or this older BMW that could be a good (if porky) adventure bike:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/d/vail-ultimate-dual-purpose-like-new-bmw/7689500885.html

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The klx300, either dual sport or sumo model, has actually good suspension not set up for a 100lb person so that’s the biiiig pro against the Honda 300 which has hilariously soft suspension stock. KLX has all the modern stuff, I think it’ll be perfect for backing it in around town.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Used Africa twins are in the 10k or just under range around these parts.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

This has got me thinking about my future bike needs. I am buying an apartment that's in the city centre vs being towards the outskirts at the moment. This will change my commute from being 95% time on the autoroute to more like 60/40 autoroute / city. In the summer my commuting is split now between car and bike, but the balance will shift towards bike with the new place. Neither my CBR1000RR nor Scrambler are really going to cut it, the Fireblade is too fast and has no storage, the Scrambler is too slow and windy.

I borrowed a Multistrada V4S last year which was nice but huge (and quite expensive). I'd consider a V2 especially if they are a bit smaller. What else should be on the list? I like the look of a Tracer 9 GT. Maybe also a Tracer 7? While a S1000XR appeals its going to be too close to the Blade I think.

Africa Twin? DesertX (looks extremely cool but maybe not quite the right thing)? I guess the brief is "comfortable autoroute mile muncher, not too big for the city, not too dorky"

A Goldwing is going to be too big.

Hypermotard with a wind screen and wheelie all the way to work

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Perfection

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ant mouth posted:

Tell me what bike to buy: I wanted something that didn’t empower me to be such a dong

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It has KTMs least bad engine and plenty of ride modes to adjust the power.

Dema here has a 1290 and really likes it from what he has posted.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Weird way to spell monster energy can

Sir it’s not a yamaha

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone seen any Hypermotard 698s at the dealers yet?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Get the new hyper for all of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

DesertX all day