Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's for frightening livestock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's pretty nice to ride; that's the bike I took my MSF-equivalent on. Definitely good newbie territory as far as power and handling go; I believe they're actually detuned a little from the CB400 motor but I don't know that for sure. The sitting for a couple of years thing, I don't know about; is that long enough to get to the point where you'd want to replace seals and hoses?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PlasticSun posted:

This is true, but if you have circulation problems or have your hands get numb easily from vibration the KLR is much harder to ride all day. If you're not planning to spend a bit of time on dirt roads a street bike is going to be much better and actually have some power. The KLR is a great bike but it is also a slow pig compared to a street bike.

P. much this. I love my KLR but I've spent the winter considering a second bike that does the street with a little more aplomb, use the KLR for a long distance dirt/gravel machine.

If I do (and it's a big if, contingent on my job continuing for the next couple of years) it'll probably be either a ZRX or the V7, I lust after both :flashfap:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

P. much this. I love my KLR but I've spent the winter considering a second bike that does the street with a little more aplomb, use the KLR for a long distance dirt/gravel machine.

If I do (and it's a big if, contingent on my job continuing for the next couple of years) it'll probably be either a ZRX or the V7, I lust after both :flashfap:

Update on this: I was in at my favorite dealership today, and they've got a couple of Suzuki GS500 nakeds for $2300 less than the msrp. Considering I want a naked standard, and I'm reasonably certain I would be able to make up the price on resale, would I be a lunatic to pass this up?

e: Actually, looking at the raw performance numbers, they're not that dissimilar to the KLR. Obviously handling and suspension would be different.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 30, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, this boggles me about the Sherpas because nothing about them is particularly new. It's a farm bike!

What about it is getting it a huge following, other than the price (and possibly the reliability)?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh. Sorry! I was wondering if there was something I missed and by some weird confluence of factors it made a decent sumo. It is a good little bike, though!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

petrol

putting the British in British Columbia

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That tears it, someone get this man a Brough Superior

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, this is speculative in the extreme, just for the purposes of makin' conversation. Assuming I'm still employed by the end of the year, I'm hoping to get into one of:

Guzzi V7 classic
Ducati GT1000
Triumph Bonnie or Thrux

The Bonnie outperforms the V7 but isn't as nicely built, and I'm not a fan of the way it feels under me (in the showroom) like I am with the Italians. The Duc outperforms both but costs half again as much, and there's those desmo valves to contend with. I'd like whatever I pick up to be reliable and easy to work on, since I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't even have his KLR back on its legs again. I'm not bad mechanically, I can follow instructions but I don't have a lot of practical experience, my biggest problem is procrastination. I'm a lot farther along in NWN2 than I am in getting my thump back on the road. (I do plan to keep the KLR and basically have it be Betty to the new bike's Veronica. Such is, I understand, the fate of a KLR.)

Which of these is the optimal choice, oh CA?

Outside option - stay within the Green family and hunt down a ZRX. I really don't wanna go older than like a decade or so and I freely admit the unfaired retrostandard look is a primary driver of what I'm lookin' at.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alberta, so about a 14 hour drive, but I can't really make any big cash outlays (or take on debts) until at least this fall.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

looks like it holds 15oz of gas

See that extra bit of padding between the rider and passenger seats? That bit lifts off and there's a gas cap under it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't forget the Guzzi V7 Classic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh jesus I just got my KLR running don't throw stuff like this at me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

You have just found me a bike :swoon:

exactly what I was looking for. Now I feel obligated to pick up some old school halcyon goggles to wear with it.

If I ever get one of these (or the corresponding Duck or Bonnie) I am investing in a white scarf.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Anyone own a Sprint ST? I saw one out and around today and it sounded and looked amazing. I noticed that it has an 'eccentric chain adjuster' What does this even mean?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-maintenance/chain-adjustment/

Article talks about exactly this. Basically the axle is housed off-center in a larger adjusting "drum" of sorts, you rotate the drum a little forward or backward to loosen or tighten the chain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am a new rider looking for a first bike. Not looking for an intense amount of power and looking to stay off the highway to begin with. Essentially, a good learning bike that is less likely to get me killed.

I live in the city, so my main purpose is to have something to bounce around town with. However, on the weekends I would want to go into the country and do some back road riding.

Don't want a sport bike, and I am 6'3" tall. Looking for a used bike probably in the range of 2-3k. Anyone have any suggestions?

Simkin posted:

V-Strom 650.

A KLR 650 or other japanese dualsport will serve you well too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Geez. I'm starting to consider patching the KLR up and trading/selling it for a weestrom. Anyone know how maintenance intensive those ugly bastards are? Especially compared to a 20-year-old motor in an early-adopter package.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

Pretty much all the Japanese dual sports are singles.

Yeah, pretty much the only one I can think of off the top of my head that isn't is the KLE 500 and that's Euro/Aus only.

For big displacement (ie 500cc and up) there's the Honda XR650L, Suzuki DR650, and Kawasaki KLR650. If you go used with the Kawi, I'd say get a first-gen, the one that actually looks like a dirt bike - it went through a huge refresh a couple of years ago but the '08s have had some really annoying bugs.

If you were looking for something that was both new and a streetbike, there's the KTM 690 Duke or BMW G650x Country, which is pretty cool that the Euros are putting street thumps out.

You might also consider something along the lines of a sumo; the DRZ400 is your ride there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

You're mostly suggesting some rather big bikes and some bikes that tend to be fairly expensive.

Well, he did say he was looking at larger-displacement thumpers. Not that any of them threaten the CA hp limit; you did mean big as in tall, and difficult to flatfoot for shorter-legged riders, right?

The BMW and the KTM I threw in as kind of an "oh hey these exist", not as a recommendation for someone looking for a used bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How are the Kawi GPZ series? This thing just showed up and that's actually a rather low price considering what I usually see in the listings.

e: According to wiki the '82 GPz750 was pretty much a one-of, as they changed it again for 83.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 24, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Well, the wiki also says it's based off the KZ750, which means that it has the same 738cc inline four that Kawasaki put into their bikes for about seventy billion years. Hell, I have that engine in my bike, and it rolled off the line in 2002. :)

I'd got at least take a look at it. The price seems a bit high, but then again, it's that time of the season where everyone wants a bike, so prices go up. If it does run fine, and doesn't need anything, $15-1600 probably wouldn't be unreasonable. Maybe a bit less if it needs new tyres.

Guy's willing to take 16, and it seems to run ok. It kicked over nicely, shifted clean for the gears I was in, ran it up to about halfway up the rev range. It's certainly not pristine. Paint's dinged in several places, there's some rust in the tank, one of the carb air hoses is seated funny, one of the "clipons" (they might be stamped steel) is a bit loose, tail plastic is cracked. It's been down once, the rhs pipe and case are scuffed. Also, it's kawi green now but I believe it was born red. Tires look pretty reasonable if squarish, no cracking, as does most of the other rubber that I looked at. Don't have a service history but the guy he bought it from commuted on it often from out of town.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 25, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
hm.

I forgot to mention that the idiot light was blinking something about "CHARGE", and checking the built-in voltmeter showed that it was holding about 9 volts. What are my most likely and most ugly options there?

(The voltmeter's insane, there's a secondary scale on the tachometer, and holding down a button on the console causes the tach needle to show voltage instead.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Idling. I want to say it twitched a bit while revving but I can't be sure; I didn't check while I was on it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, having killed a battery myself, I do understand that; I'm just wondering why it might be low in the first place. It hasn't been stored for ages, since the current owner claims to have had it for all of a month for a road trip.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah, he's got no clue about the service history. I'm almost tempted to see if I can get the previous owner's contact info.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Keeping my options open, I'm gonna go look at a GS650L tomorrow, is there anything GS-specific I should know aside from the regular stuff to check?

E: also holy cow RZ350 outta nowhere

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 27, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

Electrical is the big thing. make sure it's charging. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot to worry about.

Hm.
Downsides on this one include: rust on a couple of the tabs, bent headlight bracket, the clutch and throttle are stiff, and I'm not a fan of the seat. Otherwise it seems to be in pretty awesome shape. Did the cruiser style have a different steering geometry than the regular G series? e: It did, if the 550 manual is any judge.

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 28, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahh, I see what you mean about the forks and the axle. On the 550 the manual is saying the caster and trail differ by about .12 of an inch, and a degree, respectively, whether that matters a whole heck of a lot I don't know. Either way if I got an L (because that's what seems to be prevalent in these parts) I would necessarily have to standardize it, starting with the bars.

Anyway, now that I've got off my butt and am progressing with putting my thump back together, I think I'm gonna hold off on purchases while I ride it and get it into saleable condition, and decide whether I want to get a weestrom, or an old I4 and a middlin' dr650.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

For some reason my old KZ has 13mm nuts scattered everywhere. Its stupid because there will be a 13mm nut right beside a 14mm one. What the gently caress Kawasaki.

Are they all the same style bolt? My KLR came covered in the flanged type with the smaller hex heads, but you can't get those at Home Depot so if I ever need to replace any I have to switch to the regular, larger hex.

(Unless I want to fight with the local bolt supply shops, which i've found is a bit of a crapshoot as to what they'll actually carry)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, so I've been planning for the last little while to supplement or replace my KLR, either with something like a 650-up GS, KZ or CB, or a Weestrom.

This just popped up locally. It seems a little dear for something that's supposed to have suffered a year's depreciation (can get one in town new for a hundred or so more), but on the other hand that's a shitload of farkles I don't have to buy (and some I can pull off and resell). What says CA?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Worth at least checking out. That's too much for it, though, see how much he's willing to come down on the price. Those farkles that you sell may or may not take it down to a reasonable cost.

Seems like everything I look at is inflated around here. What do you figure's reasonable (in $Canadian)?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Phy, depending on how modern you want to go there seems to be a shitload of quality medium displacement bikes for sale a little further south than you. Not too many really new ones (other than cruisers) but lots of 1980-2000 standards, sport bikes, even the odd sport tourer.

Might want to look at Kijiji and Craigs for Lethbridge and the Hat.

Oh yeah, I have been checking those as well. (Every few hours, in fact. Some dude had a DL650 posted out in the Hat, but when I contacted him he said he'd taken it off the market because it was just too much fun. The jerk.)

I haven't forgotten about that Tempter, but for reasons I can't clearly articulate I'd prefer to go I4 if I go old. There's a Nighthawk S and a KZ750 (84, so the I4 not the twin) that I've been particularly interested in.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 12, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, think I've finally got it narrowed down. Don't want an elderbike as my primary because I'm just not very motivated in the garage. Kinda want a Bandit/ZRX but if i'm being objective I just don't have the chops to do it justice. Do want something that's a few years old, common as cow farts, and can handle light touring duty with aplomb (planning on getting a hardcase setup).

So I figure it's either the SV650N or the FZ6. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, to be more accurate, they kinda scare the bejesus out of me. :emo: My skills are good enough for going from point to point without murdering myself but I've got a strong hunch that on one of those I'd be crawling through corners like the chumpiest guy. Whereas I feel pretty confident about being able to learn from a midrange. I figure I'll get insurance quotes on the big guns, just for kicks.

I'm also keeping my eyes out for 599s, ZR7Ses, and maybe a bandit 650. Is there any reason not to go with the FZ6 other than "it's peaky"?

Simkin, there's been a few VFR750s pop up local but I'd prefer to go naked (or upper-faired, at most). Although i do love that the 95-97s had great whopping NACA ducts

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 15, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's best to go by horsepower ratings. Stay under 70hp (52 kW), thereabouts, and you should be good. That GSX400 looks pretty good specification-wise; if you're doing distance-touring and Sweden is anywhere near as mountainous as Ola's made Norway seem, you might actually want to go up in power a bit.

Aside from that, I testrode this Weestrom today. Guy's asking about $500-1000 more than the competition (FZ's and SV's, mainly), and he does seem to be firm on the price. Also, I found out what the Strom boards mean by "buffeting issues" around the helmet. I felt like something out of Jacob's Ladder, which means if I did bite on this I'd have to get an aftermarket windscreen. Other'n that it seems like it's in good shape. Is it worth the price?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Dear CA,
My ninja 250 is just too big and powerful and scary.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/1278714275.html
As cool at that bike is, the look of that chain scares me about the condition of the rest of that bike which would probably be a PITA to get parts for.

edit: I've got half a mind to lowball the gently caress out of this guy as this bike has been on craigslist for about a year now.

edit2: Forgive my selfindulgent craigslist links but OH GOD http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1251968755.html

Hmm. Is there any interest in having a CA craigslist thread like in greater AI?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

laymil posted:

the ZRX frontend looks terrible :)

You and I can never be friends.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

What are suggestions for entry-level Enduro/Dual-sport/motards?

I've been riding about a year, but on a 150cc scooter, so I'll need to learn how to shift...

If you can track down a Super Sherpa that's about as entry level as it gets (and it's got a lower seat height than most DS bikes to boot). Or, a KLR/KLX250, XT225, TW200, DR200, or DRZ400 should all be pretty reasonable if you've got long legs. If you feel confident about handling the weight offroad, an XR650L, DR650, or KLR650 (first gen) won't get you into much trouble either.

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 29, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just in case - you're going to look at a first-gen (2007 or earlier), yes? These ones:

The second-gen that you're going to find new at the dealer are good machines as well, and there are a bunch of improvements over the first-gen, but if you don't have a lot of DS/dirt experience I'd really recommend installing some kind of crashbars before you take it offroad. The plastic panels on the side are much larger and more rigid than on the first-gen, and if you happen to drop the bike, you're probably going to crack the panel unless you're laying it softly into long, pillowy grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Again, it's a KLR so it should be pretty studly for reliability and longevity if it's being used and taken care of regularly. AFAIK it shares pretty much everything with the KLR650A that I posted on the previous page, except for the fairings obviously, and I think the suspension geometry may be a bit different. Same offroad caveats apply to the Tengai as to the 2nd-gen KLR that I was talking about.

If you do get it, go show it off on KLR650.net. The Tengai is pretty rare in North America.