Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

All good man, I was booking it hard today. When you're ready for some insane roads, let me know, I found some stupid great roads in arizona.

I was down in Phoenix a couple years back and looked into renting a bike. Found the bike but the timing wasn't so great and fedexing my gear was going to run $50, so I rented a car and drove the Apache Trail as far as I could until the darkness set in. If I had a weekend to ride, I'd rent a bike just for that one road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Okay, so my main points to check out:
-overall shape
-does he have maintenance records
-any rust around the petcock (where am I looking exactly?)

The rust around the petcock-take a careful look around where the petcock mounts, you would be looking for bubbles in the paint. I'd also take a flaslight and look into the rear corners of the tank as best you can. Water tends to collect in the low spots and is heavier than fuel so it's happy to stay right there in those low spots, happily destroying the metal. One of the local riders had a R65 and the petcock came off in his hand, along with a chunk of the tank.

Other than initial cost, I don't see a downside to a R65 over a UJM 450.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

pr0zac posted:

I know this has been asked before but I've never really paid attention to the answer, how annoying is buying a bike where the owner doesn't have a title.

The seller said: "Hey man! I'm away from the bike at the moment so I can't send any other photos at the moment. Have had it for a month and hadn't switch the title yet. But I have the title. 19572 is the milage. Any other questions let me know. Thanks!" and am wondering how difficult this will be for me to deal with.

It's hard to say definitively as every state is different. Where I live (Alaska) getting a title on a untitled vehicle is a pain in the rear end. It can and has been done but it's not really a simple matter of using a title service.
If the guy has the title, he needs to change it over. BTDT and I did get the t-shirt but I had to track the seller to his office and drag him to a place where we could get the title switched over into his name, then mine. Other states are kind of "well if you didn't steal it, OK".

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
A R50/5 is definitely going to be an enthusiast bike. And even then, the enthusiast is going to save it for really special Sunday mornings, and ride something more modern on a regular basis....

I fear you would be underwhelmed and it would sour you on BMW's forever.

I had a look and didn't see anything else, but seriously, it's not a boxer but that F650ST is still out there. It is worth a look, I think. In many ways, it's the only bike you'll ever need. OK, I know that it won't be, but it could be.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Simkin posted:

We just like having new riders stick around for longer than the ride home, if they are lucky. :glomp:

Keep posting bikes that interest you, and we'll keep helping you sort the sane from the not (and the lemons, those too).

Ficksified. No thanks needed.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Aprilia Pegaso head bearings, at least the factory set, are a consumable. Maybe not intended to be but yeah, they are. The oil tank is built into the frame fight near the head and the heat from the oil cooks the grease out. That and the fact that Pegasos like to wheelie a bit, combine to take a toll on the bearings. It's a easy fix, a fair amount of busywork, and grease the new ones once a year to keep them happy.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Harley XR1200.

Oh yeah.

Does orange look good on me?

Spending as much on the bike as I did on my first dwelling, well, mayeb not so good.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Those are such nice bikes, I just wish they were a little more leaned down and minimalist.

And you're dating yourself saying that an XR would have cost as much as your first dwelling. :xd: I can't imagine a home that costs less than 200k. :v:

Too be fair, my first dwelling was a trailer.... :hist101:

200K will still buy a pretty nice house here these days, 100K is tougher but doable.

OTD on the XR here-13K. That includes our local stealer $680 storage fee, $405 assembly and $200 DMV. I am in the wrong business, that's for sure.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Anyone own a Sprint ST? I saw one out and around today and it sounded and looked amazing. I noticed that it has an 'eccentric chain adjuster' What does this even mean?

I owned a first generation Sprint and it was an awesome bike. The Triumph triple sounds like a banshee ripping in half at redline and the motor is smooth and torquey. I sold it because of the poor fuel economy, I'm not sure if the problem was a jet kit installed by previous owners, native to the engine, or the fact that I spent a lot of time near redline listening to the music-but 30 mpg was poor mileage in my opinion.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm looking to get a new bike to daily drive. I've put 20k miles down in about three years, so I'm not worried about experience or engine size or anything like that. My budget is around $3500. I've been looking at a kawasaki councours, a yamaha fj1100, a honda vfr, or a bmw k100. These are all the sport tourers i can think of offhand that would fit my price range. I've even considered a goldwing, but they're just so goddamn huge.

Do any of these bikes really stick out to you guys as being a particularly good or bad idea from a mechanical standpoint? Ease of maintenance and reliability is a big priority, as the last bike I owned would usually run for 2 weeks after I fixed it and then something else (usually electrical) would go.

Comedy option:
http://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/1163111723.html

Any VFR will do commuting and weekend warrior duties nicely, they are on the sporty side of sport touring but people ride long distance on them all the time. I owned a first generation VF that was a great fishing bike, able to pass long lines of motorhomes on the Seward Highway on my way to the Russian River while remaing perfectly confortable.

Someone had added ST1100 to your list, if you could find one for that price range it would be a good choice. I've test ridden the Concours and the ST and the ST wins. Comfort, engine, ergos, very nice machine. The Concours was a competent bike but never really excited me the way the ST did.

K bike wise, a lot of riders actually prefer the K75 to the K100. Adding the 4th cylinder meant giving up the balance shaft, the 3 cylinder fallover engine is turbine smooth. My problem with the K bikes is that while they look like a big bike, they really are not-they seem to be made for a person of european build with a height of 5'8" or so, at 5'11" I was stretching the bike a bit.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

reir posted:

Decided to pull the trigger on this one for my first bike, 88 Honda NX250. I think I'd have a tough time finding a running bike for much cheaper, paid $700. Other than new tires, signals and mirrors I don't see much I need to do with it mechanically, starts up first crank nearly every time w/o the choke. Was wondering if there was a guide for older bikes to check everything out? Is there anything I should do maintenance wise other than lube and oil at this point since it's running good?

You already mentioned the tires, I'd check the forks for leaky seals, the thickness and condition of brake pads, clean and lube the cables. Replace the brake fluid, a lot of riders overlook that item. Check the spokes, chain and sprockets. And enjoy.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Dammit!

Where was this guy when I had money?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1212559726.html

"**Honda CX 500 Turbo** - $2800 (South Anchorage)

Date: 2009-06-08, 10:52PM AKDT

Rare 1982 Honda CX 500 Turbo 18k miles runs great and in good shape $2800.00 or best offer. "

Quick-remind me of the burnt stators, unobtanium turbos and any other items of dissuation you can come up with.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

That and the two other EFI turbos were so much better. The suzuki would fry the turbos, but they're "normal" parts, not unotainium. The Yamaha was good too. And it's not the 650. :-)

And who wants to ride a collectors bike. You can do better if you want turbo. You can do much better if you want a bike of that age. You can do even better if you go modern turbo.

Thanks, I knew you'd help me out.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Here's an '82 Seca 650 Turbo: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/1215086256.html

I took one for a test ride. Typical early 80's Yamaha that sounded pretty cool on the spool but the turbo rush is marvelously ill suited for motorcycles. I didn't buy it.

The paint and styling on the CX turbos is what sells me on them anyway.

The guy I bought my Guzzi from had all the turbo bikes, his favorite was the Kawasaki.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

It's actually for a friend. It'd be his first bike. If I were buying one, I'd try and find a 350.

Or I can just wait until my friend who willed me his dies. But I don't want him to die :(

You'd feel too guilty to enjoy it then anyways.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

sigtrap posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding here :(

Currently I have a BMW F800ST.

(note the custom 20-round kickstand support from an FN FAL)

...and so far it's been a great bike. Since I bought it last September, I've put ~3700 miles on it. Lots of out-and-back day trips, and an extended 3-day thing. I can't fault the thing in any way, it's just too boring. It has plenty of power and all, it's just too... German. Too precise.
If I want to stick with a sport/tourer, it seems like the best alternative would be a VFR800 Interceptor. They look much better, sound much better, and even though they're a good bit heavier, they're also more powerful. In this area they're hard to find, but I might get close enough to test ride one in time. Another option would be a Ducati ST4S, but while these look & sound amazing, they're also hard to get near around here, and I have very little idea what they're like to live with from a maintenance standpoint.

Should I place my faith in the long-shot of finding my 2007 VFR in anniversary colors or an ST4S within 2000 miles, and hope that one of those cures my boredom problems? I'm really not looking to punk around with da stuntaz, I just want something more visceral and focused, not so clinical and... nice.

HELP

I think you're going to be happier with the ST4S. That bike will hit all the pleasure centers and be a good all day tourer and a kiggazz sport bike all in one. Maintenence won't be any worse than the VFR-just wait until you have to pay to have those VTEC valves looked after. A lot of noise has been made concerning Ducati valves but TBH they aren't that hard, just different-they are intended to be checked and adjusted so they've made it as easy as possible given all the gingerbread surrounding the engine.

I'm not encouraged with your remarks about the F800. I was thinking F800GS as my next bike when I pay off the R1150GS. It seems on paper to be a better bike for my riding, mostly highway but I do like to venture off the road and the big GS is useless on trails. The observations sound eerily like those I made about my K75S. Smooth, fast, reliable, competent as hell and in the end, not a bike that inspired much passion in me.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Oakey posted:

So what's the common consensus on them? Nice bikes? Too much maintenance? There has to be a reason for the prices drops I would think.

Aprilia has never really ignited in the US, so they are nor common and largely an unknown quantity. That is a shame as they are tremendous bikes. Think European/Italian passion and styling with Japanese build quality and a ripping Rotax engine. If I found an affordable CapoNord I'd swap my BMW GS out in a hot second.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Oakey posted:

drat you guys, now I'm going to have to keep my eye on it and see if the price gets stupid low. I still like the Katana but after a few years on it I'm up for something more exciting and better looking, so either that bike or maybe another used Aprilia at the end of the season.

How would you rate that bike for a long trip? That was the only reason I was thinking about keeping the current bike, if I sell it it might actually be doable.

Long trip would be better served by a Futura or a CapoNord. The Futura is the sport touring side and the capo is a dualsport. The Capo is one of the most comfortable bikes out there, and honestly I may sell my GS and seek one out, especially given the trouble I just had with the GS.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

IntrepidInventive posted:

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1224965185.html

That was my first bike, so I have years of experience with them.

They aren't too fast, top speed on level ground is about 50. They will go almost anywhere you can walk, and if it gets to a bad spot, in low range first gear you can walk beside it and push. Handling is wretched, but they crash easy...they will lowside at the slightest provocation. The ride is harsh, what with about an inch of travel and all. They get about 75 mpg, repair and maintenence is stupid simple. If I find another one at a decent price, I'm buying one.

Brand new, they were $375.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

IntrepidInventive posted:

I'm not sure whether this is an endorsement or not

"They're awful, but if I find another one at a good price I'll buy it!"

Would you say it's good preparation at all for a "real" bike?

That's what I used to perpare for a "real" bike....

If it sounds like I'm damning it with faint praise, I'm not really. Like any bike, the Trail 90 has an intended use and if you operate in that envelope, it's brilliant. As a street bike or a highway commuter, it'll suck. As a neighborhood bike, or a bike for exploring off road trails and such, it's superb.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The RS50 is one of those high strung 2 smokes that treats pistons and rings as consumable items. Just the same, I think it would be a fun bike to ride-it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow.

They count as a scooter in most states, being a 50cc bike. I'm pretty sure they didn't have the RS50 in mind when they set the scooter rules.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Shlomo Palestein posted:

You probably mean moped, in which case, depending on the horsepower rating (and in some states, lack of pedals), means it still needs to be registered as a motorcycle technically. As far as I know, states don't make distinctions for "scooters". Of course, some states basically stop at the 50cc restriction, but most I'm familiar with have other items that would rule that bike out (though in practice (anecdotally), the police tend to just sort of guess at what's legal and what's not situationally with regard to odd things like mopeds; if you're polite and obeying the law, you'd be fine. If you're skidding around and trying to overtake at speeds on the right hand side, you may not be so lucky).

...according to the first website I found, it has 12 horsepower. In Massachusetts, that's six times as much as you're allowed to have. Knowing the process, it'd be easy to register as a moped, but it would be equally as easy to have it impounded for going well over the restricted 25 mph limit for mopeds.

In Alaska, for sure, the RS50 would be classed as a scooter, which means that a 14 YO could legally ride said bike after passing the written drivers test and MC test-no road test or MOST. I started my riding career on a Trail 90 which technically exceeded the CC limit but the cops I talked with universally told me I was OK on the bike, a Trail 90 is a very inoffensive bike.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. DNA posted:

It's the same tired old story. I bought my first bike this spring and I'm already lusting after my second.

This is where my problem comes in. I live in Northern Ontario and I'm running out of roads. I have to go for longer and longer rides if I want to try out new routes. However, being where I am, there are countless ATV, snowmobile, and dirt biking trails and millions of acres of crown land.

So with those details, I've been thinking about a BMW F800GS. I'm in love with that bike. The R1200GS is more suited to long distance traveling, but it's simply out of my price range.

A R1200 is not really suited for what you have in mind, it is just too drat heavy and you can't easily change gearing for slow going. That boxer engine doesn't really much care for slow riding either. I have an R1150GS and while it's great for dirt roads, trails show its weakness and the R12 is going to be about the same.

The F800 is a good concept but it seems shockingly heavy for what it is. Lighter than the R12 but not by as much as I was hoping.

I'm starting to come back around to the idea of the KTM 950/990 Adventure. It's probably the best blend of highway and off road capability I've seen. I've ridden one on the highway and seen them on the trail and am impressed, it's not a MX bike but is capable of plonking along a rough trail quite nicely.

The KTM is not without issues but IMHO remains the best in that category.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. DNA posted:

Why are you shocked at the weight of the F800GS? A quick Google search for the dry weights shows it's 15kg lighter than the 990 Adventure. I know there's a 200cc difference between the bikes. Is that enough to expect the F800GS to be lighter by a bigger margin?

Thanks for your insight. I'm obviously very new to all this, so it's good to get other peoples' ideas.

My thought when the F800Gs was first announces was that it was going to be considerably lighter than the R12-and my initial research led me to believe that was the case. Sadly, BMW seems to have porked the bike up beyond what I had hoped. It's still a capable machine and I've seen some in action, but I was expecting a F650 with an extra cylinder.

My view may have been affected by a former bike. Aprilia Pegaso, cousin to the F650, same 650 Rotax single, but the Pegaso came in a fair bit lighter than the F650 and offered better suspension in the bargain, and was cheaper. It was a decent highway bike, but I wanted a bit more power and room on the road...off road, it would go almost anywhere I wanted. I took it to some unlikely spots.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm thinking that a good candidate might be a BMW K bike, K75 or K100. Not a cruiser, but great highway bike, high 40's MPG, shaft drive that doesn't explode, smooth like a turbine (too smooth for me) and not unwieldly large.

The other bike you might look at is an older Virago, the original version that was less cruiser and more standard, although they are getting a bit old these days and might not be as reliable as you'd need.

I'm trying to think of a bike that hits all of your requirements and coming up blank. We could suggest any number of bikes that will give you 5 out of 7.

Keep in mind that the new Buell Ulysses belt is made to handle gravel, rocks, ball bearings, etc. Harley went with a new manufacturer for the belts to gain this new durability company wide, so I wouldn't pass over Harley-and Harleys make it to Inuvik and Deadhorse all the time.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Tsaven Nava posted:

But but but . . . my penis still works! I'm not allowed to own a Harley yet. :)

Ummm, do they check? That could be awkward. :wth:

Thread derail-those commercials about whichever boner donor pill tells you to "Ask you doctor if you are healthy enough for sexual activities?" Well, if the doctor unzips and says "Let's find out" I'm outta there!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Becktastic posted:

I'm a 5'5 girl looking for a good adventure bike. I've been riding a 125cc scooter for about a year and I'd like something more powerful and off road capable.

I sat on a KLR650 at the dealership this morning and it was way too big. I don't think I could control it, maybe if I had it lowered and shaved the seat, but I don't want to do all that only to find I'm still intimidated by it. I love the look of that bike though. The Super Sherpa felt cozy, but it's barely a step up as far as engine size goes. If I'm going to spring for a new bike, I want it to be a significant step up! I don't want to get in the habit of buying bigger and bigger brand new bikes every year (because I really can't afford to).

There's some cheapo offerings on craigslist nearby. I really like this one and it seems like a good deal, but old: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1295204615.html at least I wouldn't feel guilty about taking off road or crashing it...

Advice?

A bike like that would be a great starter for dual sport, assuming you can get a foot down. Part of the foot down thing is confidence, a tall bike seems intimidating until you get used to it and confidence is integral to control, so follow your instincts.

The Dr350's are going to lag a bit on the highway, but off road it should be a better bike than a KLR. And yes, your first dual sport/off road bike should be used because you will fall down, just the way it is.

That being said-DR350's and even 250/225's are used to travel the corners of the earth. I know a young lady who rode a XT from Anchorage to Dawson and back and made it just fine, DR350's do the trip, that one looks clean and the price is OK (I guess), it's worth a look.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Uncle Ivan posted:

What would be a decent price on a 98-02 BMW K1200RS with luggage, 25-40k miles? KBB lists a trade-in value of $4690, so I was thinking like maybe $5200 without anything? +$300 ish for luggage? Any thoughts?

drat, the price of those bikes has really taken a dump. One of the all time top sport touring machines, if you can find one for $5500ish it would be a lot of bike for the money.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Any opinions on Honda CT110s?
They seem to be very ubiquitous here in Australia, and I'm looking for a cheap beater bike >250ccs that will be used mainly for city duty, bonus points for being dead easy to work on, seems to be just the ticket.

Postie bike?

For some wierd reason, Honda sent CT's to Oz without the dualrange transmission. That item really transforms t he CT from a big wheeled step through to a full on trail machine. Put the bike in 1st/low and go almost anywhere you can walk, if it gets hung up it's light enough to push. Some of your countrymen put bigger gas tanks in the step through and tour on them.

My first bike was a CT90. I'm keeping my eyes open for another one if I can score one cheap.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Whats everyone's opinion on the Kawasaki Versys, keeping in mind that I am 6'-3"?

I think my dealer is trying to get rid of a ton of them, and has the price down to what a decent used SV650 would be around my area.

It might be a bit on the small side for you.

The few folks who seem to own them locally love them to pieces. They do have some off-pavement ability

the guy sucking hind tit is a Versys rider. He wheeled it pretty well out there on the Klondike Loop by Dawson City.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Tipped posted:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1329569443.html

or

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/1326894423.html

or

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/1330382931.html

I'm leaning towards the top one due to all the extras. God what do I do? Also a new Thruxton is still in play, but I wasn't in love with where my legs ended up when I sat on it.

I'd lean towards the bottom one. $2K will buy a fair amount of farkles and the mileage isn't a problem for a boxer twin.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The chain is too tight, if you've only got 1/5th to 1/4th of an inch of flexibility. If he's been running it like that for an extended period it can damage the engine due to putting a shitload of pressure on the countershaft.

That's way too expensive for a 14 year old EX500. I'd say closer to 1200$, especially considering you'll probably need to do the tires (What's the date code on them?), the chain and sprockets, and it's been crashed plus it's not matching.

Low mileage doesn't mean a lot, considering the bike's been down and hasn't been maintained that well.

The guy has the chain tightened up to cover the fact that it's pretty well phucked. Budget for front and rear sprockets and chain. Check for oil leaks near the countershaft (front ) sprocket, if you see oil there the seal and possibly the bearing have been damaged from the excessive tightness.

To be honest, I don't think I can, in good conscience, sign off on this bike. It's been down and the owner is deliberately trying to cover up problems.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The Ducati is that Italian girl you met at the beach. She is so full of life and so hot you can ignore the shadow on the upper lip, the pits and the slightly furry legs, as you know she will deliver and make glorious music doing so.

The Aprilia is the Italian girl you met in the cafe. She's smart, sexy and sophisticated, dressed and groomed like a supermodel, yet open, approachable and yes, she will deliver and make glorious music doing so.

You'll have a hard time deciding, because there really is no bad decision to be made here.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Pvt. Public posted:

I'm going to look at this today or tomorrow hopefully. Is there anything specific to look for on K75s? I've read around and saw that the rear splines are apparently a concern?

I'm going to go by the BMW shop here today (since I walk right by it going to lunch) and ask them if they did the maintenance on it and if anything is amiss. They're the only BMW shop right around here, so I'm guessing they did. Hopefully they'll talk to me once I make it clear I'm possibly buying it.

I'm also considering this, but I think an 1150 is probably too big a step up from my GZ250 (85hp vs 68hp in the K75).

I have owned a K75 and presently own a 1150 GS (non ADV) , really, 2 totally different bikes.

The K75, as other posters have mentioned, is smooth as a turbine. If it more than tingles, there's likely something wrong with it. I found the bike to be so smooth, so competent, so easy to ride, that it lacked character and eventually bored me to tears-so I sold it. I think that it would be a good step up from a 250, the power is linear, there isn't a massive rush, just a smooth build up until you realize that you're well into triple digits. Assuming that the speedometer still works, anyway.

The 1150 is a beast. Load that bike up, fill the tank and you have a bike that will lead you to the brink of despair as you roll it around the parking lot. It is tall, huge, top heavy, and really isn't suitable for actual dirt work. What it does do well is absolutely ferociously gobble up miles on the paved highway and the unpaved highway, get it on a well packed gravel road and it's a juggernaught. The R1150GS is a really great bike on many levels, especially with an upgraded suspension, mine is equipped with Öhlins and it is the best riding bike I've owned.
But my first introduction was doubtful. Coming off a 250, the GS will look impossibly large. The Germans don't call it the Rubber Cow for nothing, it is a cow, a handful, until you get it rolling and once you get it rolling it's as light on it's feet as you could ever want. And it is nice to look [i]down[\i] at the average SUV driver as you roll past, instead of looking at their door handles.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've been trying to figure out a good winter project and think this may be the lucky winner.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1414352530.html

78 KZ100 ZR-1. It's in decent shape, complete, has a title, and cheapish at $500. I'm not sure if I would make a cafe bike or a ELR bike, so maybe I'd make a ELR cafe bike.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
OK, now I'm ready for winter.

This should keep me busy this winter, between this one and the daughters Dauphine I should be able to keep cabin fever at bay.

Over the years, I owned many different bikes, but this one is actually my first Kawasaki. May as well jump in head first then, right? It turns over but won't fire, so there is likely to be teeth and hair growing in the carbs. No biggie, I'm going to strip it to the bare frame, clean up the rust and filth, and try to decide what exactly to do with it. It's fairly complete and looks to be mostly original, but not so pristine that going freestyle on it means the world has lost a precious irreplacable ZR1.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Hot Buttered posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with the first gen Yamaha FZ1? While my Duke was awesome for city riding, I now live in the middle of nowhere in the Florida Panhandle, land of very few curves and lots of highway riding. After 20 minutes at 70 mph, the Duke vibrates so much that my hands, feet, and rear end all go numb. It's like torture, and totally sucks all the enjoyment out of riding.

So I started checking Craigslist for bikes in the $2500-$4000 price range, and was surprised to find a couple low mile 2001-2002 FZ1's around $3K. I remember how much all of the mags raved about these things when they came out, and they seem purpose-built for the sporty-touring slant I'd like to use my next bike for. To be perfectly honest, I don't really feel like I need this much motor. I've never really ached for mor power out of the Duke. But as long as power delivery is fairly sane, I think I'd be fine. I lust after new Ducatis, but need to come to the realization that owning something like that won't happen anytime soon. So, how is that era FZ1? Anything else comparable at the same pricepoint?

I have one, a 01, and like it well enough for being a UJM type bike.

You are right to be wary of the motor. Being a 1000cc motor, it has plenty of torque lower in the RPM range, and is docile and smooth up until 6 or 7K, and which point it unleashes a huge can of whoopass and you best be focused when you unleash the beast. My first attempt to see how fast the bike would go in first ended in a power wheelie at 60 mph on the Seward Highway, in a double fine zone, fortunately, noone official witnessed this act of unintentional squidlery. As long as you are able to maintain throttle discipline, it's not the end of the world, but the FZ1 is a bike that you don't want to have catch you off guard. Handling is fine, the bike tracks well, and it's a comfortable bike, the ergos are good for all day rides. I'm considering adding a slightly taller set of bars, other than that, the stock seat isn't the best-I have a Corbin on mine, a much better seat.

Similar Bikes would be something like a Kawasaki ZRX. Big motor with big power, sit up ergos and classic UJM style. Suzuki Bandit 12, another bike in that same mold. It is a lot of very good bike for your target price range, and if I had to downsize to just one bike I think the Fizzy might be the winner.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Pvt. Public posted:

T Would this be a good starting point to ride for a bit and decide if I want to continue onto an 1150 or 1200 rather than just getting one of the bigger bikes? For reference I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs. (only 31" inseam though) and I want to do some serious touring across the US next year (IL to NM and AZ, for example).

Given your build, you won't like the F650, it will be too small for you if you plan on doing any road work. At 5'11" my Aprilia Pegaso (almost a twin to the F650, same motor, etc) was borderline, which is one of the reasons I upgraded to the 1150. For a big guy, the 1150 is a great bike, lots of room to stretch out, you'd like the ergos. So aaid the riding buddy who is over 6' and fairly large. Even a K75 is going to be smallish for you. I sold mine to a guy who was 6'6" or so and while he loved the ride, he couldn't ever get comfortable on it. He bought, wait for it.....a 1150 GS. So yes, I think we can accept the R1150GS as a big guy bike.

Another bike to consider if you can find one would be a Aprilia Caponord. Lighter and more powerful than a 1150 GS, chain drive, and without the roundel tax. Or you could step up to a KTM 950 Adventure-it's a fairly wild ride and the maintenence is a pain but it's a cracking bike.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Pvt. Public posted:

Even with my midget legs? Either way, I'm going to stop by the BMW shop down the road and sit on everything they've got.

I have a 30 or 31" inseam and I can flatfoot a GS. The seats have a high and low position, you could try both settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

talking_head posted:

Hey guys, what do you think about this bike? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1500823130.html

It's a 1981 Yamaha R500 with 28,000 miles. It's a kickstart :)

You haven't bought it yet?

There is a lot to be said for the joy of riding a simple, unpretentious motorcycle. A motorcycle that lets you experience the naked joy of riding without the baggage of baggage, chicken strips, stunting, or posing. A bike you ride for yourself, not the approval or conspicuous consumption of those around you. I have an old Honda CM400 I keep around pretty much for that exact purpose. Some days you just need a simple ride.