Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

hahaha here is my correspondence with ugly katana guy

Me:
Hi, I would like to take a look at the katana you posted (http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1682184260.html). Will you be available this evening?

Him:
xxx@aol.com
I WILL BE HERE

Me:
OK WHERE IS HERE AND WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND NAME AND IS THERE A SPECIFIC TIME THAT IS GOOD

I've seen this-I suspect the guy uses a mobile phone and it doesn't occur to some mobile phone users that we don't get the phone number when we work on regular email. "Dude i r txt u frm phn cnt u c # on scrn? "

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
When it rains, it pours, doesn't it?

My first good bike being a first gen Interceptor, I've had a soft spot for them and thought I'd go grab the next nice one I saw..and what do I see.

So now I have a couple of short list top ten bikes come up when I have money. If this bike is as nice in person as it is in the photo, with 5K miles, it could end up in the living room.

At this time, as a practical/fiscal matter, there can be only 1.

Craigslist-more expensive than crack.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Hey Nero-what is a good charging voltage for a CX500? The CX500T I looked at last night put out 13.8, which seemed a bit on the low side, although the battery is new.
The bike has 18K and I'm sure it's on the original stator.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The interesting thing about the V stroms is that everybody from owners to reviewers say that the 650 is better than the 1000. There really aren't many bikes that break that way.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Radio-Controlled posted:

Yeah I as reading up on that. Wasn't it a problem in the larger displacement Vs? Like the 65 and up?

It was an issue with all of the early V4 Hondas. V45 and V65. The V65 was already the largest of the series, Honda marketed the early V4 in cubic inches, V45=750cc, V65=1100cc, V30=500cc.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

How about a BMW K1200? I think they bring around 130 hp to play with. My old boss had one and it looked sweet. I know he rode the poo poo out if is as well, a few 1000 mile + days and such. he was around 6' or so.

The K1200 would be good for a tall person but the older K series won't. I felt a bit cramped on a K75 and I'm 5'11". A BMW GS is the ultimate big guys bike, the bike is all around large and the seat has a high/low position.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
One of my local buds is selling his KTM 950 Adventure for $6K. That'd be my choice.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The BMW GS, despite the off road pretensions, has dick for off road abilities. Find my thread where I go dual sporting my FZ1 and see which bike ended up on the ground. They handle gravel roads very well and they are a brilliant road bike but never believe that they are a trail bike. Very brilliant riders can take them to stupid places but those riders could ride anything anywhere and if they had something better than a GS handy they'd do even better.

The miles are nothing. The engine will do 200K. The weak spot on these bikes is the final drive. I wouldn't buy one without seeing the oil and the drainplug. If you and the buyer are serious, ask him what he puts in the final, bring some with you and draine the oil, looking for a metallic sheen and metal on the drain plug magnet.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The GS is a great touring bike. You can ride that bike all day long, my longest day was 700 miles. The ABS brakes let you grab a fistfull of brake without much thought if you need them and the stopping power is astounding. The heated grips are nice to have, I put some on my replacement bike as I liked them so much, even in warm weather. And set up properly, they handle quite well.

On the other hand....they are really heavy and large, which makes them quite chore to turn around in the parking lot. Basic maintenece is easy but if the ABS or fuel injection systems go bad, you may end up taking it to the dealer and that will leave a mark. And IIRC, the 2002 will have the servo brakes, if they fail, you have_no_brakes.

I don't know about your local market but BMW's are expensive.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm thinking CVT's are impractical on a bike. Gear driven CVT's are still rather complex and belt driven CVT's treat the belt as a consumable and have no engine braking. Imagine diving into a corner, letting up on the gas and having the bike freewheel on you.They work on snowmobiles to keep the (usually) 2 smoke motor on the pipe but riding a sled is more like boating than riding a bike.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

We were intending on using a CC for part of the cost; we have a very low rate on the card. Lower than our CU offers on a LOC or vehicle loan, and one advantage there is the title isn't tied up with the bank in case we need/want to sell it without a headache. I'm sure it's a "terrible idea". But this thread isn't about "how to arrange finances".

Anyhoo, I sent the KLR and DL links to the wife and she doesn't like the sprung fenders at all. So I guess those are out unless you can show me an unsprung fender kit :)

If the card rate will stay low and predictable and you remember to make those payments, it's not that terrible an idea. The rub is if you miss a payment and suddenly the interest rate goes up to 30%, then it's a terrible idea.That and the added fees for a cash advance. You should be able to arrange a loan yourself through the credit union that will match or beat any deal you would get through a dealership. There is no magic there, they go to the same banks you have access to.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Raw_Beef posted:

Im drooling over this: 2004 BMW 1150 GS Adventure - $9500 http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1889631992.html

Having once been a GS owner, I can comfortably say that the BMW GS is 20 pounds of bullshit in a 10 pound bag. Unless you regularly carry 2 people down rough roads (and don't think off road, seriously) any number of bikes will do what the GS can do for less and without wondering if the final drive will poo poo out the bearings 200 miles from home with no warning whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm selling my FZ1 and made it clear in the listing that this is not a good beginners bike, and yet the beginners call. I had to burst one young man's bubble already. "Well, I'm taking the riding course later this spring..."

I made the usual suggestions but suspect he'll find the first guy with no soul and a big bike for sale and make the deal of his life. His soon to be truncated life.