Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I have limited experience turning wrenches, and I just found a local 1983 Honda Magna for sale for $200. The ad states that the bike ran when it was put in the garage but no longer does. I would really like to buy it and gain some valuable experience getting it running.

I imagine it will need a new battery, new plugs, a good carburetor cleaning, fresh oil, and a fresh tank of gas... is there anything else that would have died a slow death over (however long it's been sitting in the garage?) I feel comfortable tackling all of the above. Is this a bike that is better left alone, or is this feasible? I know hondas of that vintage can have fickle charging systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Alright, after discovering in this very thread that a V4 honda was not the bike to learn the intricacies of motorcycle repair on, I have returned with a new possibility. A 1978 CB400T has been offered to me for $100. it needs "a head gasket and ignition".

Now, I know a head gasket will be involved, and as far as ignition - electrical gremlins on vintage hondas aside, how difficult would this be? Are the replacement head gasket and coils going to be incredibly difficult to locate?

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
Why should I not buy a 1997 Honda Magna 750? Price is reasonable, no problems except for a dent in the tank (looks repairable).

Not my first bike but it will be the first bike I take on a long, long trip. If I get it. Any known issues?