Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lurk more you dildo.

You fully insure it then abandon it in the ghetto of americaland.

do get a drz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah he did really well. :3:

Seller kept eye loving my pile of parts. Guy had a mint as gently caress nx250 supermoto too that he also just sold. :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yeah you should revalve/respring. go for a 02+ drzs. they have open bath cartridge forks. if they've been swapped already, carry on. the highest i've jumped my drz is maybe 4-5 feet. I don't have any reason to ride it like its supercross, nor the skill.

Those trails look doable even on a klr650. buuut you don't want to be jumping that loving thing. Mine had a habit of bending footpeg mount bolts... once i rectified that, it would tear them out of the frame.... with a 185lb rider.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nice KLX!

wow. He really hosed the pooch on that one. Shoulda bought a supermoto. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
drz
dr
klr.

one of these three. but at the end of the day, your money, your choice.
If you can barely afford a shitbox bike, don't get a motocross variant or something from europe. Having a plate/lights is really nice too. Essentially what Coydog said.

If you were closer to the bay area i'd throw the keys to my pile at you, but its not really a valid metric for a drz.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol. You should find some of the daytona owners of years gone by..

Definitely budget a gobro.

get a supermoto.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The power to weight ratio of a S1000RR is not comparable to a Mustang in the slightest, it's like saying you owned a bmw when you start racing F1.

Fixed that one. Also comparable from a Cessna 152 to a F16.

lolll. If you wanna go fast where it counts: Supermoto.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Again, I didn't make that loving claim. Jesus christ, people.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&pagenumber=784&perpage=40#post463921580

and incase you go back and fix it

ilkhan posted:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll be paying attention to power levels during the riding course. A used 250/300 (maybe an R3?) would be ideal from my POV, but we'll see. For what its worth I'm coming "from" a 435HP mustang, I know a little bit about throttle self-control.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
stock they're both slow as poo poo. the wr feels lighter.

I'm good for 81mph on a factory stock drzsm. I could probably muster 85 if i ducked behind the bars.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
nah. after 5 hours of 115db you get reaaaaaaaaaalllly sick of that BLYAAAAAAAT

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

I didnt get supermotos until i bought this piece of poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
grandfathered into CA in the 90s. I re-plated it in NV no problem. I paid 1500 bucks for it 3-4 years ago.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

DISCLAIMER: I'm so deep into stockholme syndrome at this point I'm preparing to delete entire complex emmissions systems from my bike, and it only makes me love the bike more.

lemme tell you about stockholm syndrome. its a biiiitch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
DRZs rock. WR250r/x is also awesome.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can build a drz. I did. worked out ok.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
get the 250. you'll hate yourself less after picking that thing up for the 5th time. Derrrrs put the weight high as gently caress.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
obligatory super sherpa if you can find one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
NX250. gently caress yes good poo poo. get it. The fairings are made from unobtanium fyi.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

You can actually buy full ax1 faring sets from Ali-express(and headlamps for dual round light goodness).

Bought it.

ohhh no poo poo? thats awesome.

post mo pics!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its essentially a 300 ninja engine with the rest cast from klrium. 5" of suspension doesn't make it much of an offroader.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

PS, you're not going to be doing 100 on a DRZ

Sure you can. It costs however.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Is there anything that bike does that your current bike doesn't do better?

Runs without maintenance :v: and generally doesnt care if you try to kill it. it'll keep going.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wear ear plugs. There are waaaaay too many variables to trust the helmets db ratings

As someone with tinnitus, trust me, wear ear plugs

Yep. Wear yo goddamn earplugs. Music is sublime too.

I didnt really bother with earplugs till thumper life. I'm nearly deaf anyway from unrelated incidents.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

for sale posted:

What is the hooniest street legal thing I can get for 4 grand in southern california, but doesn't require a whole lot of wrenching? I was debating on just getting some FZ thing but realized I just want a bike for fun and not commuting so I don't want to drop a lot of cash into it or spend a lot of time working on it. Btw i'm not scared of wrenching, but I just want something I can reliably take out and do dumb poo poo on twice a week or so. I'm guessing this is some kind of supermoto.

Also will a wr250r push my 250 lb rear end or is it going to be a little sluggish?

Get a drz.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for the latter but yes they're a very good bike for that sort of carry on and tend to do a lot better offroad than a DR or, god forbid, KLR.

Mr Wiggles
a KLR is an absolutely miserable bike to ride and isn't even in the same loving solar system as a tiger 800.

yep. At the back of the bus is ye ole blast. sitting next to him is the klr. With dollar store vegetable oil in the suspension and an engine hammered from potmetal that even the soviets would go 'goddamn son'

I owned an 07 for about 8 mos and treated it like a 450lb enduro. (ebay auction for 1700 bucks!) I eventually crashed the living poo poo out of it. blew the engine up/bent the frame/suspension all the while.

It wallered on everything and would lay frame if you looked at an obstacle funny. I broke the footpeg mounts a couple times on it. The suspension would go pogoey if you even hinted at speed.

Want a big bore thumper?

XR650L/R
DR650
KTM640 LC4.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes more or less.

I will say that a dr650 with a 790kit is quite pleasant.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No. It was even loving slower than the gasoline powered ones.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

you show up with money, they jack you

Happy ending?

a NEAI goon recently got ripped out of a 300 dollar subaru that got sold several times.

Exchange money for papers. remove item immediately. Do not pass go, Do not gently caress the pooch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Superduke.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

DRZs have been the same for 15-odd years except for exciting new colors and I think an updated cam chain tensioner in later models, so find ones that are less beat but haven't been neglected and sitting in someone's shed for years. I think E's have a better carb but worse suspension than the S models, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

A "cheap" new set of wheels and hubs will be close to a grand, plus tires/rotor/caliper bracket. You can drop twice that for Excels with Talon hubs buying new.

00-01 S models have damper rod forks. 02+ is same as the E which is open bath cartridge. SM is twin chamber.
K/E models got the FCR. S/SM got the BSR.
Pre 06' need the cam chain replaced with manual or a dr650/post 2006' model.

E: If my friend backs outta buyin mine, you're welcome to it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 4, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
seconding doubletakes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

Listen to Slavvy: everything is terrible and heavy and slow and unusable and unreliable.

Pretty much :v:

I owned an 07' klr a long time ago. yeah never again.

of the 3 soviet era 650s, get the honda xr650l.

a BMW F bike at least gives you an alright rotax mill and fuel injection. Be aware some will break the fork at the axle mount.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Still happy with my early run 950A... 19kmi/17 months.

E: I fully plan to beat the drz470's 25k in 24 months.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

I replaced my TKC80s after like 800 miles of wheelies on my 1290SAR :D

They lasted that long? drat

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

literally no reason to buy a 450L, just get the 701 and bask in the european goodness

This. There's even an early one in the classifieds here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

WRR with knobby and sumo rims :getin:

yessss join usssssss

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hey, how big are y’all’s dicks?

big enough it doesn't matter.

5'11", ride a dad bike with a 37" seat height. *shrug*. Generally toe off, or tilt the bike over and flatfoot. Doesn't matter to me to get both feet on the ground.

All depends on the individuals comfort zone. It seems to me those that started on the road going are more picky about touching the ground than those that started with dirt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

I’ve read up on the AT issues- seems like forks on the originals and fuel tank pump/filter crud on the ATAS. For being Honda’s they’re surprisingly complex- the airbox and filter is a pain in the rear end to get to apparently.

Seems to be an issue with all the standard model ATs in regards to forks. My husband and I dismantled the forks right out of the box and lowered it 50mm, no noticable stiction at 10k/mi.
The flipped horn/indicator setup is annoying, as is the DCT. He likes it so *shrug*

They're a miserable bike to work on honestly. But it's a Honda, so eh. The plastics break super easy, so opt for crash bars.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Any other thoughts/tips on them? How do you like them and what do you use them for? What other bikes did you consider with it?

Armor is always good. Heavy as it is.
The centerstand is invaluable on that heavy pig of a bike. within the first thousand miles it lost two rear tubes, and a front at highway speed. There's a recall out for the circlip on it, so do that. The Honda factory power outlet is spendy for what you get, and a pain in the rear end to install.

Other than the tubes which I think were a dealer assembly issue, the bike has been troublefree. He tweaked the cage and cracked a spar after high-siding it in riding through a rock garded. No problem, dug out the TIG and stitched it back up once we were home. Without it would have sheared the DCT solenoids off the case.

Use case? ehh 80% macadam, 20% dirt. Primarily firetrails however have sent it through rock gardens and sand. I find it rather easy to ride offroad so long as you keep it moving. Lock the trans in 2 or 3, turn the nannies down or off, and send it. Bring a crane when it takes a nap. It's nearly 600lb after the armor and boxes. Which, these bikes with boxes haul more than a SF apartment can hold. (Don't be that guy that packs his apartment)

He's not much into tinkering with his bike so much as he wants something trouble-free that he can ride and focus on riding. The Honda is perfect for that. 2 years ago the 790 or T7 weren't around yet.
Our last bikes were smaller, and we were kind of doing too much with them. He had a dr650 punched out to 790, I was on a drz400 bored/stroked to 470.

Me? lol. I bought a 15 year old carbureted ktm 950. It suits me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

ktms are cool and good if you're a smart guy with money

and stubborn.

Tanks swelling is a hassle. as is the original airbox. work on the bike with nearly empty tanks, it's easy to do. There's no lc4 rocker bullshit on the lc8s either, no point in saving 2 grams when it's heavier than some celestial bodies.
If you can't fix poo poo or realize something is going to take a poo poo soon, don't buy a ktm or anything used for that matter.

I run what is basically a first year run 950 lolventure with nearly 75 thousand on the odo.

Parts prices? lolll. This old rear end bike has been cheaper to run across 25k+ miles and 2 years than the drz that preceded it. (Price oem stators for both, the drz ate two genuine stators, ktm ate one) Yup the drysump is a fat pain in the rear end, its capacity is mislabeled on the frame too which is *awesome* to discover. Pulling the screen for it will soak the rectifier and its wiring if you're not prepared with something for it to drain onto. There's a good half dozen errors in the manuals and owners documents. Overfill it? it pukes oil because the pcv system starts working incorrectly. I don't gently caress with the oil screens except for services with valve checks. I did the same thing for the drz (of which one screen is internal and you can't get at it). Oil changes take 15 mins with a piece of cardboard bent into a trough. Frankly if it's eating itself it won't matter if the screens were cleared at the last oil change. It's from ktms' bankruptcy era so the basic hardware is good however all the subsystems are fat garbage. The dealer fix to equalize the tanks was to drill holes in the fuckers and put a hose between the two instead of y'know, actually addressing the evap problem, or redesigning the fuel caps. That dealer fix is now old enough the rubber parts dry rot or age out causing fuel leaks. The fuel pump is poo poo, the evap system is poo poo, the pcv system is poo poo, the kickstand is poo poo. The racebikes had oil coolers whereas the production models do not. Lane splitting around Berkeley can get the oil to temperatures north of 120C. Put an oil cooler on it, dropped oil temps 10-15C. I built a pcv system using parts from a soviet-era XR650L that cures the dumb factory bullshit of oil ingestion with high rpm running. the 3 loving hours to get to the carbs or the oil pressure sender that likes to poo poo? Yeah fixed that too. 12 fasteners to remove a glovebox, reduced to two while retaining the part securely as original. 4 minutes to rejet now if it's ever needed.

4 issues that stopped rides for a short while, a fuel pump courtesy of the po left me sitting in death valley, bypassed it, topped the tanks off and rode to Parhump that way.(lol carbs) A stator failure caused some no starts but didn't melt the engine down like the drz did. Figured out it would charge above 5 grand, so left it a gear down on the trip home. Third is the inlet o-rings to the carbs cracking and leaking. Ones acquired through ~ebay~ lasted about 8 months, probably were nitrile. Replaced with viton. Fourth is from a silicone hose running from the suction pump to the oil tank. The early ones were just single wall hose. A month or so ago the one on mine ruptured. I knew about the hose and shoulda replaced it at the last valve check but I didn't cause Hanz put the loving oetiker clamp in the most gently caress-you kinda place. So I got to do it anyway with the added bonus of everything covered in oil.

Its still the best bike out of the 9 that I've owned, and I'll continue to keep it around.

So yeah. If you don't like mechanical puzzles, challenges, tinkering, or creating solutions for someone else's drunken decisions, buy a Honda. I assure you, it'll be numb but it'll always be ready to ride.